Being at the bottom of the list

Susan21
Level 5
Santiago Metropolitan Region, Chile

Being at the bottom of the list

I have been an airbnb hostess since 2011. One would think that due to my reviews I would be at the top of the list. Not so. Only newcomers are on the top.

At first I used Airbnb income to pay upkeep. Now it barely pays enough to wash the sheets.

I think that totally unfair. I think Airbnb should promote its long time hosts and hostess with records like mine before all other potential hosts.

119 Replies 119
Chris159
Level 2
Belchertown, MA

I have been a superhost for year and have experienced the dwindling reservation problem too.  Airbnb needed more hosts in some cities and offered rewards for referring new hosts. That plus more airbnb publicity has produced a glut of offerings in our area.  We used to be on the first or second page for a busy neighboring community and now we don't show up for many pages.  I agree that we should get some advantage for being in on the beginning success of airbnb.  Airbnb is now larger than any hotel chain. It is not as personal as it was a few years ago.

Chris, try updating our listing every day...just a few words and that may help to keep you at the top. Best, Sharon

Hi, I'm also a superhost and have been for some years now.   Earlier in 2017 I suddenly found that we weren't getting many bookings and when I researched the site, it took me a long time to find our entry.   We have 4 rooms and an annexe, and they weren't listed alongside each other either which I found strange!!   I tackled Airbnb re this and whether or not they could help Superhosts get bookings, but they seem to feel that having the logo on the listing is all they can (are prepared currently) to do.   I now go in virtually every day and make a small change to the calender, even if I go back in later and delete it!   It seems to be working as we have been busy ever since so, Chris, give it a go. New photos too help to keep the site fresh.   Good luck.  Tricia

I second that. I wouldn't worry about your multiple listings showing up in different places, each one has different stats. I second that they calendar now seems to be the key to telling them that you are a very "active" listing. They are sending me reminders to update my calendar, and turn on instant book and try out the automatic pricing, in order to get more bookings. I think they are telling you what you need to do to get the best results. 

@Patricia247

Dear Trisha;

Thank you for your input. I was on vacation mid-May to mid-June in my home country after being away from family for 3yrs and paid zero attention to my listing during that time. I had a guest book months in advance to check-in just a few days after my return, and received 2 bookings during my trip for later in the summer & autumn, so I had no worries about my listing's placement in guests' search results. You can imagine my surprise when I did a search for my listing yesterday (without being logged in), and discovered that I had slipped from page 1 to page 7 of results in my area!

Months before my vacation I'd already turned on auto-booking, as well as automatic pricing (as @June-and-Rich0 correctly noted that airbnb keeps encouraging), so I definitely believe updating the calender is the key! I plan to alter it slightly daily as you have found success with that. Wish me luck! 

WEll, I'm learning a few things as well. Good luck!

Hmm, I just noticed that we have an assigned "level" designation on our profile, I wonder what that means. Have to check that out. That may also be a factor in the position of our listings? I suspect there are many factors determining that. 

@June-and-Rich0: I believe levels indicate your Community Forum posts. The more you post, the higher your level. 🙂

Susan21
Level 5
Santiago Metropolitan Region, Chile

This is insane. The Hotel Ritz is not a 5 star hotel for its "posts"!

If we have to post all the time, then we cannot provide quality in our listings. 

Also I think it unfair that a plastified place gets a better rating than hosts with tasteful decore, warmth and hospitality.

Part of the value of the Ritz hotels is their antiques in every room and attentive service.

Too, with the Airbnb system, we feel we have to give good reviews so our hosts will give us good reviews when its not always true. 

Traveling thru Argentina this year the first hostess refused to receive us cause she had resigned from Airbnb but she did not cancel the reservation. Luckily, I carried a print out of the receipt. I asked her where I could go in Temuco, Chile where two cats would be accepted. In the end she accepted us but charged me extra for the cats, which she charged in cash contrary to Airbnb rules. I paid $5 just to get her off my back.

The next place has pots and pans dirty and stained. The dish towel was flirther than my rags at home. We complained but she refused to replace anything. The neighbors told us she taking all renters for a ride but she is not reported as such as the Airbnb system does not encourage the truth when rating.

After that we had the most charming couple in the world. Their guest house was the most complete and neat and clean one could imagine. Why aren't they tops on all listings? We do not underdstand. Of course we gave them top scores in evderything!

Then came the apartment with red ants. They got into the cats' dry food. We frooze it to kill the ants! I supose their tops for checking their posts of a concrete, plastified nothing apartment. . . 

@Susan21;

My response to @June-and-Rich0 was specifically about the "Level" ranking in the Community Forum - it has absolutely nothing to do with listings which are STAR ranked.

Previously @Patricia247 explained that she observed her listing came up higher in guest searches if she continually updated her calender - which as far as I can see is simply blocking or unblocking a date or dates, or changing the price or prices. I tried it & it worked instantly. My place went from page 7 of search results to page 3 after I updated my calender.

So sorry for your bad experiences at other airbnbs. And yes, I have to wonder too why some guests review places the way they do, but as far as I can see, our listings' STAR rankings are 100% based on guest reviews. 

Best of luck!

Virginia

@ Susan I am sad to hear of your negative experiences with hosts and I have only used 1 Airbnb host in SF and did not care for my experience and I left her a bad but honest review. To respond to your concerns as to why Airbnb doesn't assure uniformity in hosts is because hosts are not employees and they are not in the business of B&B, they are simply a platform for booking and managing funds. Yet, at least where I am, and more so in the past than lately, Airbnb does try to help hosts to be better by providing a platform such as this for hosts to learn from each other, the Airbnb Opens are filled with speakers and things to improve hosting... even interior decorating, and it may be my imagination, but I thought they were or had put up videos somewhere for hosts to learn from. When I began (2011 I think) they had a host on payroll as a community facilitator and she held small gatherings to teach you how to get the post out of your Airbnb page and to navigate it, she sought out the hosts with expertise in decor, social media, hosting skills, etc and set up gatherings for them to speak, she had parties so hosts could connect and share experiences. They did away with her position and Airbnb has not been as good or as fun for me as it was. They brought in corporate people to replace her, but they rarely host or put together anything... I don't know what it is they do and they probably are paid more than they paid the host, but in my opinion, are not adding as much value as the host did.

Now, about reviews. I think this is the 100th time I've had to say this. Read everything Airbnb provides. REVIEWS ARE BLIND so that neither host or guest can submit a review that is based on what the other party said about them. It is not possible to retaliate against host or guest based on what they said about you because each has the same 14 day deadline to submit their review and NO REVIEW is released until BOTH parties have submitted or the deadline runs out and if the deadline runs out and now you see the review of you, you can not review back because you've now seen the review and the deadline to submit has passed. Just be HONEST in your review. I recently had a guest give me a slanderous review that was insane and no way could her claims have been true based on the reviews before her and immediately after her stay... she simply had mental problems or took a dislike to me even though the few interactions we had were pleasant and each time I asked how things were she said "great" "Lovely" and only positive responses. We deal with people and all the baggage that comes with them.

Hi Judalon, I'm on the east coast and remember the hosts that Airbnb hired to assist us in the beginning. I also thought it was a great resource and enjoyed meeting and speaking with other hosts. Now, they have someone new, an employee, and he has also been a good resource and has held gatherings in local bars for us to talk and share experiences. You may want to check to see if you are missing some communication on this in your area. If they are not doing it, I would ask for it. As you probably remember, it's a great learning experience. 

I agree with your comments on the "mental" guest. We had one of those as well a few years ago.  I left a polite but not great , honest review about her and after I read hers, which was very nasty and untrue about us, I replied in a professional manner. People afterwards got it, as they mentioned in their correspondence with me directly. Our reviews were good before and after and people understand. 

@Patricia247 / @June-and-Rich0: It worked! Within moments of altering my calendar, I moved up 4 pages in the search results! Thanks again Trisha!

Thank you so much. I really appreciate it. 

Jeanine

@Jeanine3; if it is me you are thanking, you are welcome!

🙂