Being at the bottom of the list

Susan21
Level 5
Santiago Metropolitan Region, Chile

Being at the bottom of the list

I have been an airbnb hostess since 2011. One would think that due to my reviews I would be at the top of the list. Not so. Only newcomers are on the top.

At first I used Airbnb income to pay upkeep. Now it barely pays enough to wash the sheets.

I think that totally unfair. I think Airbnb should promote its long time hosts and hostess with records like mine before all other potential hosts.

119 Replies 119
Andy25
Level 3
Picton, New Zealand

I like your thinking on this, a site that has bias towards the provider.......

I am finding that if I offer add-ons it helps a lot.  I enjoy sea kayaking so am now offering to take guests out, as this gains in popularity I will begin to charge a fee, the same with doing wine tours in our region.

Jono0
Level 2
Kanchanaburi, Thailand

All we need is a handful of like mined owners. The net is a very powerful tool if we can find reasons to community build. Message me if you are interested.

Dianne6
Level 3
Omokoroa, New Zealand

I like your thinking. Lets do it!!!

what do you mean by 'refresh your listing'?

@Karen0

It means keep it updated and add new info, pictures and organize your calendar. Just change a sentence now and then. Sometimes change a complete caption of it. Be an active host with an active add 😊

Mariann 🙂

Dianne6
Level 3
Omokoroa, New Zealand

So are you saying when you refresh your listing it get bumped to the front of the line then?????

Dianne - 5 star statis and Super Host

Tracy-And-Brent0
Level 3
Asheville, NC

We have been hosting since September, 2015.  We rent a full house.  We are still either the 1st or the 2nd home in the search engine for Asheville, NC.  We are also one of the few that are truly legal to be renting our entire home here in the city limits.  We are one of the few lucky ones that are zoned business.  That being said, Asheville has about 700 rentals now for the entire home.  I go in every single day and update our description and calendar.  When we go to "manage listings", it is always showing updated today! This is the most important part of keeping your listing high on the list.  We are rated as super hosts and also for business travel and work hard to stay listed as such.  I work full time and put in about 16 hours a day at work and my husband also works full time.  I still manage to take the 10 mintues a day to update my description and the calander.  Try to get and keep your superhost title and update your calendar and descripton daily.  See if this helps. Let me know how it works for you.  I would be interested in knowing if it helps.  

Thanks Tracy, I will take your advice and start updating my descriptions daily.  I am on the site nearly every day as it is, but I don't always make changes.   Now and I will, and I'll let you know how I get on.  Tricia

Hello @Patricia247

i have been doing this with my own, fairly new, listings. It has made my listings appear on the first page for more than six months now. Even with a lot of new competition because of the bicycle championship coming up I have kept my position. I just refrase or add a sentence. It appears to me that changing BOTH calender and description is the clue. I tried changing only the calendar, but it soon had me falling down... But I have never been on page 2. My problem is if the guests finds the zooming function on the map. I'm not downtown city center of a VERY touristy town...

I hope you find your way back up!

Mariann 🙂

I do the same Tracy and yes it does keep your listing at the top of the search page, but what if everyone did this?

It does.

I have just updated our listing and we bounced back. The room I edited can now be found. But for one search option only. Visitors are given a choice of searching using a number of options which includes our town, province and country as well as the district (the same name as the town), province and country.

We don't show for the last one. 

Thanks Tracey, Me too! Will take your advise and le you know the outome.

Nagawa0
Level 2
Kampala, Uganda

I think they have a way they do they promotions according to the guests you have hosted and according to the looking of the place and how activity it is.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

General view is that Superhost makes little difference, main benefit is that if you need to call ABB they pick up quicker.

David

You are probably right that Super Host doesn't factor as much in the search engine, but we do have our own CS line and at LA Open I met the person who heads up the SH CS Dept.. I know that when I call in I get help immediately, they acknowledge I'm a SH and I've had amazing experiences and results with the CS.