Best Integrated Smart Lock

Answered!
Charlie-And-Rob0
Level 3
Victoria, Australia

Best Integrated Smart Lock

Hi All,

I've read most of the strings and done quite a bit of searching but I'm yet to locate a good smart lock that fully integrates with AirBnB.  

My preference is for something that doesn't require another app and auto generates/distributes a code to the guest via the Airbnb app/communications.  Anyone seen anything/used anything that fits this profile?

Thanks.

Charlie

1 Best Answer
Heather649
Level 2
Kamloops, Canada

Hi, I would suggest that you investigate The Airlocking System.  I think it would satisfy all your requirements.  

Here is a cut and paste from their website:

THE AIRLOCKING SYSTEM:

INSTALL LOCK AND HUB:
AirLocking ships you a Smart lock system. You just need to connect the system to the internet and follow the straightforward instructions to install the lock.

GUESTS RECEIVE DOOR CODE:
AirLocking automatically emails your guests' door codes in advance of their trips along with other check-in information you wish to pass along. You are copied on these emails for your tracking.

LINK WITH AIRBNB CALENDAR:
AirLocking seamlessly links with your Airbnb calendar to track reservations. The AirLocking portal provides status information and allows you to control guest notifications.

LOCK UPDATED WITH CODES:
AirLocking enables the door code in the lock at check-in time and disables it after checkout time. AirLocking also allows you to have codes for your own use which are separate from the guest codes.

CHECK-OUT BUTTON: (Patent Pending)
Airlocking has added a new feature--a CHECK-OUT BUTTON. When guests leave, they are asked to push this button. Instantly, the Host is alerted to their departure and can proceed with Cleaning Services or Repairs.

Heather 649

View Best Answer in original post

78 Replies 78

The battery life is AWFUL on both the lock AND the keypad. 
The app is laggy and refuses to allow you to edit and delete users. It times out and quits and there is no way to change it. 

I am dying for an alternative. We tried a Samsung smart home but even with a repeater it wasn't working in the house (two story). Maybe I need multiple repeaters.

Susan: 

Are you speaking of the August Lock as having awful battery life for lock and keypad?  I'm new to airbnb and want something to integrate with Airbnb and change lock codes when the guest leaves. The more automated the better for me. I had decided on August Lock but now second guessing that decision.

Jack-and-Sherri0
Level 3
Yucca Valley, CA

I use the Remotelock RL4000 from Lockstate. It does everything your looking for and I've never had time issues. Plus you can login and add users as needed when you have someone that needs to access the home outside of airbnb, like family or a cleaning service.

Ryan-And-Tamar0
Level 2
Indianapolis, IN

i hate deadbolt locks...it's stupid...why aren't there more knobs/levers with keypads?

1) not every door has a deadbolt, but every door has a knob/lever...so why make them deadbolts?

2) you can lock a deadbolt with the door still open...so it might say it's locked, but the door is still open...stupid...

3) the door and the jam have to be perfectly shut and in line for the deadbolt to slide in smoothly and actually lock...most guests don't pay attention or care...this is a hallmark sign of bad engineering...

4) they require a motor to move a latch more than is necessary...a knob/lever, on some designs, has a minimal amount of movement...less movement, less prone to problems...stupid

Remotelock has great software, albeit a little expensive, but their 5i levers have a design flaw...if someone tries to push the lever while locked, they can cause it to turn and irreparably damage the function of the lock...i've got 3 locks of 4 that have a square hole that accepts a square shaft inside the lock and the square hole is now rounded...so the lock is trash...

i think the suggestion by the user that uses a zwave schlage lock with a smartthings hub with the rboy software is probably where i'm going...

Rabih5
Level 2
Beirut, Lebanon

We are working on Katana Concierge; a virtual reception service for Airbnb hosts

http://concierge.katanatech.io (you need to copy the link. for some reason it does not work by clicking)

We would love to listen to your comments and your wishes to provide better services and if you would like such a service.

It is a subscription based virtual hosting service. starting 20$/month or 5$/guest and we provide everything including the hardware

Our concierge module replaces 4 devices (a smart lock, video doorbell, home hub and virtual assistant) and is specific to Airbnb hosts. Our service is not only about providing access but a full personalized service for the Host and guest. Our service even translates languages to make tings even more convenient.

Please help us understand what are the things you need the most.

Madhura0
Level 3
United States

It's been almost a year since my post with Rental lock automater (RLA) from Rboy Apps. It's been just amazing to say the least. They've added a few more features which I absolutely love and have my already simple life even simpler!

One of our biggest asks was the ability to cool the house down on the day of check in a few hours before the renter arrived. Now they have the new checkin/checkout actions features where I can set a set of actionn to be carried out 2 hours before the renter arrive (and also the same when they check out). I can now also see the last 7 days of usage for auditing purposes right from the app itself.

If you're on a older version of RLA, it's worth checking up the updates (atleast for those who have the lifetime license, it's a steal for $99).

www.rboyapps.com

All you need is a SmartThings hub, any smart device that you want to use (like Locks, Thermostats, switches etc - I've also used a water leak sensor and water valve) and the RLA to handle all my reservations, SMSs and automations.

Heather649
Level 2
Kamloops, Canada

Hi, I would suggest that you investigate The Airlocking System.  I think it would satisfy all your requirements.  

Here is a cut and paste from their website:

THE AIRLOCKING SYSTEM:

INSTALL LOCK AND HUB:
AirLocking ships you a Smart lock system. You just need to connect the system to the internet and follow the straightforward instructions to install the lock.

GUESTS RECEIVE DOOR CODE:
AirLocking automatically emails your guests' door codes in advance of their trips along with other check-in information you wish to pass along. You are copied on these emails for your tracking.

LINK WITH AIRBNB CALENDAR:
AirLocking seamlessly links with your Airbnb calendar to track reservations. The AirLocking portal provides status information and allows you to control guest notifications.

LOCK UPDATED WITH CODES:
AirLocking enables the door code in the lock at check-in time and disables it after checkout time. AirLocking also allows you to have codes for your own use which are separate from the guest codes.

CHECK-OUT BUTTON: (Patent Pending)
Airlocking has added a new feature--a CHECK-OUT BUTTON. When guests leave, they are asked to push this button. Instantly, the Host is alerted to their departure and can proceed with Cleaning Services or Repairs.

Heather 649

This airlock systems sounds pretty good. I’ve tried 3 lock systems and EUFY was the best. 

Presently using Nest X Yale system. Expensive but frustrating to reset, and pair. Not been happy with Nest x yale. 

This Airlock system sounds like it covers everything.  Will try

it for next lock. Thanks for information. 

Did this air locking company go out of business I cannot seem to find their website?

Alexander699
Level 2
Davos, Switzerland

Hi, I use a lock from a company called, logilock, they have an excellent lock whereby you can program it from your PC or mobile , you don't need any internet connection at the locks side

Dee208
Level 2
North Miami Beach, FL

There is a lock called Remote Lock that integrates with AirBnb without a controller hub. I am considering purchasing their locks, although they are more expensive than the others. They generate temporary codes for guests that expire at checkout and email the code to guests in a customized email that the host creates. It also provides data of all activity using the lock.

If you choose not to use their service, which costs $9.99/mo, you can still program the locks, just not automatically and not integrated with AirBnb. The service is month to month, but if you commit to 6 months, they'll take $25 off their lock. 

I'm wondering if anyone has tried this company before? 

https://www.remotelock.com/smart-locks-airbnb-hosts

Jason391
Level 2
Austin, TX

Hi, I love LockState locks and the RemoteLock software. I'm a big fan of the new commercial grade 7i handle lock. Only one I've found to be 100% automated through the integration with Airbnb.

However, I'm hoping there's a genius here that has figured out how to get the entry info email (that is sent by RemoteLock to the Airbnb Guest's actual email) into the Airbnb message thread. 10-20% of the time Guests can't find the email that was sent. This we help me a ton!!

Thank you!

Our message shows up in their message thread. They don’t always read it of course, but it definitely shows up there.  Just got an email that we HAVE to upgrade our subscription to the pro version to keep all the features we need (door groups, common door, etc). Which is going to double price, which is why I’m here looking for options. 

Devin-and-Sarah0
Level 3
Calgary, Canada

It is extremely hard to find a smart lock that has been fully integrated with Airbnb. The closest you can get is remote controlling your smart lock via apps. Either with Z-Wave technology or August RemoteLock software. 

If you guys are looking for a great review on brand named smart locks using Z-Wave or Remotelock then I found this blog post useful for choosing. https://www.airbnbuniverse.com/smart-locks-for-airbnb

They break down Z-Wave series from Schlage, Yale, and Kwikset or August smart locks. Enjoy!

Devin & Sarah, Superhost and Bloggers
Alvin69
Level 1
Bali, Indonesia

just look at this post, have you guys ever heard about igloohome?