Best Integrated Smart Lock

Answered!
Charlie-And-Rob0
Level 3
Victoria, Australia

Best Integrated Smart Lock

Hi All,

I've read most of the strings and done quite a bit of searching but I'm yet to locate a good smart lock that fully integrates with AirBnB.  

My preference is for something that doesn't require another app and auto generates/distributes a code to the guest via the Airbnb app/communications.  Anyone seen anything/used anything that fits this profile?

Thanks.

Charlie

1 Best Answer
Heather649
Level 2
Kamloops, Canada

Hi, I would suggest that you investigate The Airlocking System.  I think it would satisfy all your requirements.  

Here is a cut and paste from their website:

THE AIRLOCKING SYSTEM:

INSTALL LOCK AND HUB:
AirLocking ships you a Smart lock system. You just need to connect the system to the internet and follow the straightforward instructions to install the lock.

GUESTS RECEIVE DOOR CODE:
AirLocking automatically emails your guests' door codes in advance of their trips along with other check-in information you wish to pass along. You are copied on these emails for your tracking.

LINK WITH AIRBNB CALENDAR:
AirLocking seamlessly links with your Airbnb calendar to track reservations. The AirLocking portal provides status information and allows you to control guest notifications.

LOCK UPDATED WITH CODES:
AirLocking enables the door code in the lock at check-in time and disables it after checkout time. AirLocking also allows you to have codes for your own use which are separate from the guest codes.

CHECK-OUT BUTTON: (Patent Pending)
Airlocking has added a new feature--a CHECK-OUT BUTTON. When guests leave, they are asked to push this button. Instantly, the Host is alerted to their departure and can proceed with Cleaning Services or Repairs.

Heather 649

View Best Answer in original post

78 Replies 78

the 50% that gave it 1 star had problems with the setup but once its properly installed it works great.  download the installation instructions from the company website, the setup guide that comes with the lock does not include a crutial step in the setup process.

Bad reviews on this lock. Schlage seems to have best reviews with August the next best.

the problem is that for appartment or condo building its not fire rated in Australia so we can't use lockstate.  Any locks that work at good as lockstate but are fire rated in Australia for apartment buildings??? 😕

Hello stuart could you please describe me about how smart lock working with airbnb?

i heard they connect automatically with airbnb and get unique entrance code for each guest? Is it true? Could you send  me any link or information? I need about 20 smart lock but i am confused for selecting which brand. Thank you. Matt

*[Personal information hidden for safety reasons–in line with the Community Center Guidelines - to use the Direct Messaging function here in the Community Center, hover over the post profile photo and click 'Send Message']

We used this for a year, great consept but they have NO customer service now (they used to) and it has been a MONTH and it is still not working after dozens of calls. We are leaving!

As a host, most locks function similarly: Guests can open and close the door with a Smart phone. The software is the real differentiator.

You could choose a software company like VirtualKEY (virtualkey.co) that integrates with multiple locks and works with airbnb (as well as other travel sites) to automatically send Guests access valid only for their specific reservation. 

Being a software company, they can focus all their efforts on making the Host's life easier. Broad integrations with locks, travel sites, cleaners, & easier key transfers to friends, neighbors, baby sitters, or dog walkers.

I don't think all guest wants to use an app on phone.

The best will be to get the code sent by sms plus by mail to guests.

If you email them a code, odds are that they need to open their phone anyway to see the code. Which is more of a hastle than just using the phone. [Scrolling through messages or Emails on phone]. You're on vacation seeing different things, navigating a new town, embracing new experiences, odds are you won't remember a random code.

I have seen people using the last 4 digits of the Guest's phone number. I think there's some danger in that (if other people know your "method" of code generation), but the rest of the traveling party still has to check their phone to remember the code. Confession: I don't know the actual numbers of even my best friends, I just have them as a contact.

If the guest is "old school" and has the print out of the reservation & the door code on them... Better hope they don't lose it or get it stolen, because now a violator has full access to your property.

Phones do offer huge advantages in security. For one, you can have a log of who opened the deadbolt. If there was a robbery (actual or fruad), there is the ability to see that a staff member entered their room & may be the culprit. There is also the ability to ensure that the cleaning staff only has access from 11a-3p on specific days, so that you're not wondering if they entered the combination to commit the crime. Wouldn't it be nice to end the investigation immediately by showing airbnb, "No one else entered the property, here is the log. This is clearly a fraud attempt."

I don't think **all guests want** any one type of entry. Whether it's to:

1. carry a key,
  2. use a key card,
  3. remember and use a code, or
  4. use an app

The question is which method is the most safe, secure, and convenient for your property & your situation?

Mike, with due respect, might not be a good idea to tell your potential customers what their pain points are.  I do not want my customers to have to install applications.

Hi Everyone,

I've been using the August Smart Lock for hosting and so far it has worked well. The company has integrated with Airbnb in the Host Assist section so guests get an automatic invite to use the lock when they book. They also have a keypad you can use with the lock as well. I have some review videos of the product below as well as an instructional video on how the guest will set up and use the lock. I recommend the product, way better than giving out physical keys!

Lock Pros:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BYI2Y19mHE

Lock Cons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tHYtkV2XoU

How guest use the lock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEtyR9atNKg

Keypad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iov64X3joxw

August smart lock for internatinal travelers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufs0XBNvRgo

I was going to purchase it but it requires a deadbolt lock... so the door has to manually get shut by someone or else the lock will lock itself without being shut and your door can potentially remain open while thinking the door was shut and locked. So I ended up discarding the idea of purchasing the august smart lock. 

Great to see someone actually using smart locks. 

The question is: if you are in an appartment building and most people are. how does the guest access the building in the first place?

The second issue is. you have an August lock. others have other locks. your guests end up downloading every app there is for smart locks.

The third issue is:  security. how do you make sure your lock security is not compromised?

hacking those devices is pretty easy i hear?

it's pretty much depends on your property location and access, i have studio apartment with 3-tier security, currently i use basic digital lock with same pin code for everyone but then my unit is on top floor (20th floor) and guests need to go through 3 security access ( security at the entrance to register as guest, access card at apartment building entrance and the last one lift access where they can only go to my unit's floor.

i have guests that do not properly closed apartment door and left ajar, so far no security issue in that apartment.

They still have to download an app which is a big pain and a big extra step. 

It doesn't appear that this app works with an August Smark Lock though.