Best Integrated Smart Lock

Answered!
Charlie-And-Rob0
Level 3
Victoria, Australia

Best Integrated Smart Lock

Hi All,

I've read most of the strings and done quite a bit of searching but I'm yet to locate a good smart lock that fully integrates with AirBnB.  

My preference is for something that doesn't require another app and auto generates/distributes a code to the guest via the Airbnb app/communications.  Anyone seen anything/used anything that fits this profile?

Thanks.

Charlie

1 Best Answer
Heather649
Level 2
Kamloops, Canada

Hi, I would suggest that you investigate The Airlocking System.  I think it would satisfy all your requirements.  

Here is a cut and paste from their website:

THE AIRLOCKING SYSTEM:

INSTALL LOCK AND HUB:
AirLocking ships you a Smart lock system. You just need to connect the system to the internet and follow the straightforward instructions to install the lock.

GUESTS RECEIVE DOOR CODE:
AirLocking automatically emails your guests' door codes in advance of their trips along with other check-in information you wish to pass along. You are copied on these emails for your tracking.

LINK WITH AIRBNB CALENDAR:
AirLocking seamlessly links with your Airbnb calendar to track reservations. The AirLocking portal provides status information and allows you to control guest notifications.

LOCK UPDATED WITH CODES:
AirLocking enables the door code in the lock at check-in time and disables it after checkout time. AirLocking also allows you to have codes for your own use which are separate from the guest codes.

CHECK-OUT BUTTON: (Patent Pending)
Airlocking has added a new feature--a CHECK-OUT BUTTON. When guests leave, they are asked to push this button. Instantly, the Host is alerted to their departure and can proceed with Cleaning Services or Repairs.

Heather 649

View Best Answer in original post

78 Replies 78
Li6
Level 1
Burnaby, Canada

Lockstate did update software which has caused keypad did not responce on Aug 7 2017,  the lock unable to be connected to the wifi or their system at all which cause a lot of hardship to the user. They know their lock keypad does not respose. They did not try to help the user to solved the issue instead they (lockstate) now request user to dismantle the lock and send the circuit board out to them to have it programmed directly. It took 2 more weeks. So we will be without a functional wifi lock. Now the guests I have coming in will have to have key. We spend $$$ for a expensive lock and now you need to hand the key to the guest. What is the purpose for the wifi lock.

Austin42
Level 1
Austin, TX

So as far as I can tell under the Host Assist tab there are no true integrations with AirBNB today for any existing smart lock (im defining integration as when a user books with air bnb a key is autogenerated by air bnb and sent to my door lock for the user). From what I can tell the upcoming Linus Smart Lock from Yale should be able to do this. It was supposed to be released in late 2017 but has now been pushed to early 2018. This lock in particular is being touted as working with the google ecosystem and being fully re-programmable, so given that I believe it is the best candidate. That said, no one has one so theres no real way to know.

@Airbnb2, it'd be really awesome if you clarified this on your Host Assist page, cause I bought a Yale Real Living lock based on the reccomendation, but there is no way to integrate it with the service, i still have to manually set keys for each renter. 

I've installed the Vivint home system 2 weeks ago at my Boston listing and it is auto generating temporary codes and emailing to the guests.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Amazon have just launched one, not available in my area yet but probably the way I will go.

David

I am using AirLocking which is working smoothly for me. You can find it on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0759NPC5Y

@Curtis25, is it true that the AirLocking requires a monthly subscription of $9.99?

Yes, it does. I believe the other options out there which also provide a direct AirBNB integration also have a monthly subscription cost though.

@Curtis25, I have an August Smart Lock which has integration with AirBnB, but has no monthly subscription.

It isn't perfect by any means, but it does work and I don't pay anything monthly.

what  about internationally our airbnb is in the Philippines

I stumbled into this discussion because I am looking for a replacement for RemoteLock 6i. I don't know what I want yet, but I want to warn people to STAY FAR AWAY from RemoteLock.

On paper, RemoteLock have great features. Everything we wanted. But the problem is with reliability, and it is a HUGE one. On top of that, the customer service & tech support are poor and unaccomodating. This lock had given us A LOT of stress during our 1 year of ownership, and we are ready to write this whole thing off as a lost to our vacation rental business. Considering this is one of the more expensive locks in the market (RemoteLock 6i), this is completely unacceptable.

The lock is simply not reliable. It is a HUGE deal breaker. We found the lock constantly dropping connection, or not connecting/syncing at the schedule we have configured it to. This create a serious risk for our guests not able to get into the property when they arrive. Our vacation rental property is far from our home. Issues with the lock that require us to be there physically to resolve or troubleshoot is very difficult for us. And when we called tech support, they ALWAYS want to first treat the problem as problem with our router/wifi/internet connection first before they would looking into anything with their lock. And the process to rule out those possible causes, they ALWAYS asked us to do things that would require someone to be onsite at the property. This is made worse since we have regular jobs, and can usually only be onsite during weekends & holidays, which their tech supports are not available.

Things went to a total breaking point lately when, apparently, a firmware update started causing the lock to drain brand new batteries in 1 day, and crash the lock (keypad non-responsive, and can only be opened via a physical key). Call to tech support only sent us to voice mail with no call back. Opening a ticket online/email has not gotten us any response more than 24 hours later, with the ticket still not even assigned to anyone yet. I am not sure if we will ever get any response at this point.

There was replacement offerred to us during early days of our ownership, but never recieved. Then when more problem came up, the support refuse to replace the lock unless we can prove to them the problem is with the lock. It sounds reasonable until you consider how many possible internet/wifi problems there are that we have to rule out to their satisfaction before they would accept responsibility on their own. I am so sick and tired with this lock and working with the LockState support. I am here to warn everyone to stay far far FAR away from this company.

Fredi0
Level 1
Zürich, Switzerland

Have you ever looked at ADIOS lock? www.sds-tech.com

- Installs on any door (without replacing anything)

- Battery lasts for more than 1500 openings

- Access through pin-code, RFID cards or remote opening

- Can work compeltely standalone or with many types of integration

- Also in use with the Military (so much about reliabiltiy)

... and very affordable!

Here some youtube videos:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCf-KCAhOdkf7dWJYwzZjLQ

Adam301
Level 2
New York, United States

I host an apartment with 2 bedrooms, guests can either rent one room and share the common areas or rent the entire space. If I install 3 of these locks one for each room and one for the exterior door can AirBnB automatically manage the assignments of codes for all three depending on the booking type?

JP, I entirely agree with you. We have had a RemoteLock 6i for 3 years now and it has major issues. It's not reliable, every now and then it disconnects and does not check in to the wifi even though the new google mesh wifi is up and running. You cannot trust this lock and customer service is awful. The minute a new lock comes out that integrates where codes are sent automatically when guests book I will swap this one out. I can't imagine Remotelock will be able to stay in business much longer given the performance of their locks. 

Jp

I share your thoughts on lockstate.  I have a bunch of 5i's and 6i's and i am fed up with their unrelaiability.   I see you posted a while ago.   Did you make a decision?  Are you happy with the new decision??

Steve