Best arrangements between Co-hosts and Property owners?

Monica1682
Level 2
East Lyme, CT

Best arrangements between Co-hosts and Property owners?

Hi all, 

I'm setting up our first listing where we will be fully managing someone else's property as an Airbnb rental. I'm trying to iron out details like best way to arrange payout splits (Is there a way to do this without asking for their banking info & entering through my account's payout methods)?

Also are there any advantages or disadvantages to inviting them to join our "team" versus setting them up with a traditional airbnb account as a co-host profile, mostly to be able to block/open dates and oversee overall performance?

I just recently dove into the "teams" feature and I'm not seeing much benefit versus traditional co-host accounts but maybe I'm missing something here. 

We have a small operation, 2 of us full-time with <5 full-time listings. 

Any advice welcome!! Open to anyone's experiences with co-hosting arrangements. It's not very common in this area so I'm learning a lot as I go. 

Thank you 🙂

Monica in Connecticut, USA

Monica Jorge
Licensed REALTOR, Dog mom, Airbnb Superhost & mega-fan
Hillside-Hosting.com
2 Replies 2

@Monica1682  There was a time when Airbnb would mediate in disputes between owners and co-hosts, but they've decisively stopped getting involved with that. These days, I would advise any owner to remain the primary account holder on their listing and be in full control over which tasks are delegated to co-hosts and whether to continue employing them. I'd also advise any co-host to have a separate contract for payment that does not involve AIrbnb or depend upon reliable payouts from the listing service. For examples of why I suggest that, see here: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Payout-issues/m-p/1323422

I don't have any experience with the Teams feature, but as a Co-Host I would not choose to take an ownership stake in a listing that isn't mine. Unless you have a very deeply established personal/working relationship with this owner, I think the best path for both of you is the one that also makes it easiest to extricate from a co-host profile without requiring the whole listing to be deleted.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Monica1682 If you are the lead and the owner is the co host then any reviews (good or bad) will go with you if and when the relationship breaks up. Also I think any payments would go into your bank account.

Whatever you do you must not share passwords etc with the owner or you risk being locked out of the account if things go pear shaped - see thread on here re concierge in France.