Best hosting joke I’ve had so far

Mar125
Level 10
California, United States

Best hosting joke I’ve had so far

So, today, i received an inquiry and guest told me she is coming with her kids. So i asked how old are your kids. so she started typing blah blah blah.

When I received her reply, it says “they are  (phone number hidden)by airbnb….”

since there are more than 10 children….

5 Replies 5
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

The guest wrote something to the effect of "they are 2-8." Airbnb picks up the number dash number as a phone number and blocks it.

Years have this problem too (ex: the house was built circa 1850-1855 will appear blocked)

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Emilia42,

When I started hosting 4 years ago, Airbnb's sniper bot would obfuscate the 4-digit door codes that were sent to guests.  I called CS, and told them that this was ridiculous, because there is no place that has a 4-digit phone number.

@Branka-and-Silvia0,

Dialing procedures in different countries may seem backwards from some. Dashes in phone number are still used in the Americas.  On the other hand, in many of these countries dialing an in-country phone number doesn't require a preceding "0" or "1", or only the base number is necessary when calling a phone number within the same area code.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

who still uses dash in phone numbers? I haven't seen it in the last 20 years

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

Yes, the robots are bad at this stuff. The genuine people use numbers to tell you times or ages or addresses they need to visit while they stay with you. And these things get blocked. 

the scammers use words to spell out their phone number or email. And this doesn’t get blocked. 

my very first review, the guest wrote a novella and somewhere in the list of all the things she adored was a section about our rocking chairs that included ellipses. Abb took a chunk and did the (website hidden) thing. Looked ridiculous and made no sense. 

maybe a human should have to review those in order to better train the AI. 

Mar125
Level 10
California, United States

Lol guys, you were heading a different direction… the guest had more than 10 kids. when she started type, 2!3,4,8,9. it’s recognized as phone number…… way too many kids to be recognized as kids..