Best practices for minibar or selling additional products/services

Ariane-and-Bill0
Level 2
Calgary, Canada

Best practices for minibar or selling additional products/services

HI all,

We have four Penthouse units in Canmore, Alberta - a year round tourist destination.  Our suites are professionally managed, and are not our primary residence, they are purely for investment purposes.  As such, they are more like hotel suites than a true home experience.  We think there is an opportunity to increase sales by providing a minibar or grocery purchase service.  Has anyone done such a thing?  Our management company is reluctant to assist us, and they warn us that because the suites are similar to a hotel, many people have access to them: security, front desk staff, maintenance, cleaners, to name a few.  They feel that it's possible some product will walk away and feel the risk is not worth it.  We think that a properly secured fridge offering snacks and drinks would be a welcome addition.  We wouldn't want to gouge the way that some hotels do, but we would get a comfortable (for us and the guest) markup on the goods sold.  

We have seen the minibar system called Honorbar and kit delivery concepts and are not a fan of either.  Any other suggestions would be most welcome.

thanks in advance,

Bill&Ariane

9 Replies 9
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Do you have an Alchol License?

David

Not currently, but we would be able to acquire one.  Even if not for alcohol, we would still like to upsell some product.  There are many artisean stores in Canmore like coffee roasteries, chocolaterias, soaps, etc.

I do not know what the costs of a licenses are where you are , where I am I doubt if it would be worth the hassle.

As far as food is concerned, well it is the cost of whoever is going to do this for you as it sounds like it will not be you versus the money you think you can make on it.

David
Helene-and-Erik0
Level 2
Burlingame, CA

Bill&Ariane,

My brother and I host in Japan and California.  We recently developed a box to help us sell necessities like travel adapters, rentals, beauty products, over the counter medication, etc.. to our guests. The box is transparent but locked, and payments must be completed online before the box can be opened. It sounds like this could be something you're looking for. 

We thought this could be something others could benefit from as well. Will send you a message privately!

Erik

Hi, Erik, I'm Kit-Ti  I'm a Super Host in Bangkok with 2 properties now. I interesting to sell craft handmade souvenir to guest and looking for something is possible to operate. May you recommend me about this my project? I'm very interest your developed box. It could be opened from the mobile phone or press code when payment completed. Hope you can help me

Best regard

KIT-TI

Hi there. I m interested in your box. Can you get back to me? Thanks

Hi there

Can you tell  me more about the box?

Thanks!

Hi. Could you please explain more on the clear locked box? I would like to get a few for the airbnbs I am Starting this year. 

Great idea btw. Best regards!

Henry212
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

I’m  really interested about this box .  would you please kindly let me know what is the name of this box or how can I buy this on mine ? Thank you.

Really really appreciate your help .

my email is *sensitive information hidden*