Best way to charge for additional guests

Cheryl741
Level 3
Mt Vernon, WA

Best way to charge for additional guests

One of my house rules is no guests other than the guests listed in the reservation (maximum two). Over the last 10 months or so I've had some guests invite visitors to spend the night. They usually tell me de facto that it's happening. In most cases I don't mind but technically they're not following house rules and I'd like to simply be able to have an up-front policy that says I charge $X for additional guests. That way when someone says "So and so is coming over" I can say "OK let me know how many nights and I'll update your payment per the house rules" However, I don't want people to think that because there's a charge, that means it's OK to just go ahead and have additional guests all the time as long as they pay. I don't want additional guests because of noise, privacy, damages. etc. What's the best way to approach communicating this in my listing? 

11 Replies 11
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Cheryl741 

"Additional guests" are guests staying with the person who booked for the whole duration of the stay. They must be counted and preferably named at time of booking , an additonal fee will be charged as set by the host in the listing.

Other people coming to the property are "visitors". You can mention in the listing and/or houserules visitors are not allowed (many hosts do so).

OK, I do say no visitors. I'd like to say "Visitors are not allowed. If you have visitors, an additional fee will be charged based on the length of the visitor's stay."

“Visitors are not allowed. If you have visitors, an additional fee will be charged based on the length of the visitor's stay."

@Cheryl741 The problem with that statement is it’s a mixed message. It’s needs to be one or the other. Be clear in your messaging and then hold to it. When guests sense that they have a wishy washy host, they will push all the limits. 

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Cheryl741  You let guests tell YOU what they're going to do in YOUR house? That's a recipe for disaster.

If your guest capacity is two, then it's two. Include that in your booking message (in case they missed it in your listing) and state in no uncertain terms that additional guests and visitors are not allowed. 

Your house, your rules. 

SMH

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Cheryl741  you have a one bed one bath little tiny cottage (cute!) and a private room. 2 guests is the logical maximum in either space.

Capacity limits are not a suggestion, but just what I wrote a LIMIT. I would not charge extra for extra guests. I would say no extra guests, period.

Your house rules should state something about the size of your space and that extra guests are not permitted. Prior to check in (before the end of your refund period per your cancellation policy), I would message the guests and say "Just a reminder, we have a small space with maximum 2 guests, no exceptions. If your plans have changed and you need space for more people, l can send you instructions on canceling your stay with no penalty."

If you are going to allow additional guests, increase your capacity and list an additional charge per night per guest in your listing. But do one or the other. Not both. And don't let the guests dictate the terms. Its your space and your insurance liability.

Gaye45
Level 2
Blyth, United Kingdom

What would happen if additional guests stay without you being informed and you find out after they have left and how would you charge after the booking has been paid ? 
thank you 🙏 

@Gaye45 I personally would not charge them after the fact. That would lead to a possible revenge review. I would instead call them out in the review as follows:

"So and so were pleasant/quiet/interesting to talk to (whatever nice thing is true.) They did not follow our house rules with regard to capacity and brought X number of additional guests without asking permission. Though they left our place decently clean (if true) they are not a fit for our space. Future hosts may want to connect with them prior to check in to be 100% sure they know how many people they are bringing."

Then leave low scores on rules and whatever else they didn't do well (if anything) and push 'would not host again.' The guests can't see this but it prevents them from instant booking and they will have to communicate with future hosts before being accepted. 

I did the same last month. 

The lady who booked my place didn't mention the extra guest when she finally let me know her arrival time 3 hours prior ( after I already asked her for 3 days) 

After that she mentioned she 'really had a bad feeling about my review' 

I really had a bad feeling about her not respecting my house rules...

Gaye45
Level 2
Blyth, United Kingdom

Thank you some good comments I have asked the next guests in advance and they have said there could be an additional guest for one night however they are stopping a week , so would be difficult to check again I am hoping I get honest guests going forward 

thank you again Gaye 

Hi, I have a 2 bedroom with 2 queen beds. It lists at 2 guest per night $133. This is a good price for one or two people. I have additional guest pay $25, pets $25 and cleaning $20. So far I have had multiple guests, 3-4 and they never pay the extra $25. They have paid for pets and cleaning each time. Not sure how to change this. If I say 4 guests occupancy at $266 then 1 or 2 guest don’t want to pay that. 

I set an additional guest fee per night after the first 2 guests  if I have a reservation for four, I charge my base rate plus an extra $25/additional person, so an additional $30/night.

I try to greet my guests after checkin. If the reservation is made for two and I learn before checkin time I have set that there are more guests, I tell the principal guest that Airbnb insurance requires an accurate count to cover them and me. Please adjust your reservation.

If an additional guest arrives for 2 or 3 days of the longer stay booked by the principal guest. I tell them about the additional guest fee . Since it is for a few nights, I either call Airbnb to make an adjustment or I have the guest add a person. I reimburse the difference of $15/night not stayed by the new visitor.