Best way to deal with dirty guests?

Ezra6
Level 1
Sarasota, FL

Best way to deal with dirty guests?

When I say dirty, I don't mean that they leave their dishes around the home, or clothes on the floor...I mean DIRTY

Most of my hosted trips are great, and guests are clean, however I've gone through a particularly rough patch of filthy guests these last two weeks. Maybe it is the hosting refiners fire for me? 

When I say dirty I mean mouthwash poured into my carpet, unknown substance stains on towels, pillows, bed sheets, cooking oil dumped on my kitchen floor and left, bra's and panties left on my couches, Ramen noodles pressed into the carpet, etc, etc. 

What is the best way of dealing with this? I only charge a $10 cleaning fee to keep my place inexpensive, however $10 doesn't cut it for the above mentioned nastiness. I don't want to raise my cleaning fee as I don't think it's fair to my clean guests

Any suggestions?

19 Replies 19

@Ezra6

when hosts have guests that they feel are not suited to Airbnb they tend to write "best suited to a hotel" in the review to "suggest" to other hosts that they were not the type to want to stick to rules or clean up after themselves....

I would give an honest and fair review but low score on cleanliness and if you feel...do not recommend to other hosts.They may just need a little educating..I dont know...you be the judge of that

Take photos before you clean up

After the review period(wait until they have done the review) you could message them and advise why you down graded them and wrote your comments.

You could request an extra cleaning fee for sure ...you have nothing to lose..if they pay it, they pay it..if they dont they dont (they probably wont)  ..but do it after the reviews are done..so you dont get a nasty review 

Hi Mike, I like to thank you very much, for your smart recomandation - best suited to a hotel -

I always take photos of the damages, but now Airbnb is avoiding our request to pay.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Raise your rates.

1. you'll get a higher class of clientele. Right now, you're bottom fishing.

2. you'll be rewarded for your efforts.

3. You might get less business, so you can "Break" your bad luck spell and recoup your soul.

These people were pigs.  

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I'm with @Paul154. Your place looks clean and nice, your guests rate you too, and I could live in your place for less than my own home costs me!

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Ezra6 Definitely raise your rates. The only times I have had super slobs in my rental is when I lowered the price for various reasons. I have had nothing but stellar guests since bumping it up by $40.00 or more a night as we move into the high season; I also added extra guest fees if the 2nd Master Suite is needed to accommodate more than 2 guests.

Lynette57
Level 10
Gladstone, Australia

Im also with @Paul0  Definitly raise your rates . I am always getting emails from ABNB saying I should lower my rates but by keeping my rates up I have fantastic guests that always mostly leave my house as it was on check in. AND I dont have to deal with the lower end of the guest scale, Let the motels and hotels have them. PS Keep up the good work.

Eddie73
Level 2
Bangkok, Thailand

i had guests splashing cement / paints all over the room ...
plus some super dirty girl

also dramtic mom who needed to claim for free stay ..

some tried to hook up with host for free stay..

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

"Some tried to hook up with host for free stay".  Wow, that's one I've never heard before. 

Airbnb it’s a whole mood! Lol

Lydia94
Level 10
Cleveland, OH

Hi Ezra, we all had bad guests, burning a new carpet with the iron, not keeping the kitchen clean for the other guests, but you got the worst case, and I say we all have to thank AIRBNB for it. I tell every guest asking for a discount - I am sorry, but I have to treat all my guests with the same respecpt, and my price is firm. If I have a nice guest, and the guest ask for another day, I will not charge. If a guest ask if another guest come to stay for a few days, I dont charge extra. But a discount before you arrive - NO. I understand with short term some host wich to change the price with the season. But Airbnb has to stop telling all hosts what to charge for our services. Airbnb is only concerned about high profits for themself in order to keep all there investers happy. Airbnb no longer respept us and so all the new guests. We all have to make it very clear to Airbnb, that without our homes and services, there will be NO AIRBNB. The other problem, the securety deposit Airbnb charge the guest is way to low, $ 100,00 dont cover $ 1000,00 for the damages. This is the orher reason why the guest don,t care. The securedy deposit need to match the monthly rent, and if a guest can not pay the deposit, we don,t need this guest. Before Airbnb my guests always paid one month deposit and I never had any problems. Every guest received the $ 1000,00 deposit back. I hope we all leran from all the bad guests and protect our homes. 

Just had a nasty group stay. there was a pool of water in the toilet, tooth paste stains on the floor, dirty dishes, chunks of meat in sink, piles of rubbish and so forth. These guests should be banned from all sites. Wonder if there is any way.

Wow, that sounds just awful.  Hope you wrote exactly what you have above in your review.  No one will ever accept them as a guest.

I just came out of my worst Airbnb hosting a young couple with a one year old child who they neglected to the max. When I kept contacting Airbnb to resolve issues arriving day by day all they said to me was that the guests weren’t violating any of Airbnb’s rules even though they violated all my house rules they didn’t care so I had to cut the 61 day reservation to 14 days and I’m not kidding they were my worst 14 days of hosting!!! 

I feel Airbnb doesn’t care about us hosts

Horrible hosting experience cut short for dirtiness, disrespectful, the worst guest ever!!! 

I hope they are never allowed at any other Airbnb hosting home.