Beta 7% flexible cancellation policy and strict cancellation questions I need answered please..

Laura2715
Level 2
Phoenixville, PA

Beta 7% flexible cancellation policy and strict cancellation questions I need answered please..

Hi, to all of my fellow Hosts!!! Hope your days are going well and your travelers clean up after themselves well!!

My question on this new "Beta" Strict cancellation and flexible cancellation in the same seems like an oxymoron to me but...whatever.

I only have between April 25th and September 30th to rent out our home since it's a Summer home in a gated community that isn't open in the Winter months. (because the pipes will freeze.)  Because it's a limited time open I can not afford to have cancellations so I keep a strict policy no matter what, I thought, maybe I might do this one but It dawned on me. If I'm already strict, why? 

The understanding that I'm having my future travelers pay 7% more for their dates in the idea that they may cancel the day before. Then what?

Do they get all their money back?

Do I get the 7% that they paid? 

Do I get nothing? 

If these are all no,  (except the last one) then why in the World is it even being thought of?

Can someone answer those 3 questions for me?

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me!! 

Modular Living in the Woods, 1 Step up from camping...Ocean City, New Jersey.

Laura

Thank you in advance!! 

5 Replies 5
Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Laura2715 

Basically if the guest cancels you get nothing and if the guest does not cancel you get an extra 7%

Click the link and scroll down to Lizzie's post, see if you can figure it out.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Beta-Allow-a-flexible-cancellation-policy-to-guests-at-a...

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

Hi @Laura2715  it’s possible I might not fully understand this feature, but I thought the point of it was for hosts who are using a default “flexible” policy to introduce an optional “strict” policy, in exchange for guests taking a 7% discount. I believe I have read elsewhere that it doesn’t apply in reverse, or at least not correctly.

@Ben551  They're testing two versions of this, where you get more if they don't cancel, and where you supposedly get less, but you get it even when the cancel.

We're thinking of moving from flexible to strict, because we've had a LOT of cancellations beginning at the end of last year, just this weekend, we had a cancellation that was 6 days before their arrival and leaves us with an 8 day window of open time, very disappointing.  

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

@Mark116 Oh wow... that’s confusing...

Laura2715
Level 2
Phoenixville, PA

Can anyone else agree with me when I say this is confusing?? 

PLUS, They hold it against me when I won't tell my travelers I have WiFi IN my house but have it 50 yards away so unless they have a booster they won't get it in my house while laying in bed. They want me to still say that I do have Wifi to get my score up. From what my parents taught me growing up, that's lying. So they now hold it against me not checking the box because I don't want to mislead my travelers. AND, my listing is "Modular living in the woods, ONE STEP UP FROM CAMPING". The whole theme is to forget the hustle and bustle of the world. And yet, they still have my score down bc of it. Am I crazy? Or do they need to be looking at the little things like this to be changed? Change the rules based on each individual listing. We're not all in one kind of category.  Plus, since I've never stayed at anyone else's Airbnb they hold that against you too. Anyone have a place I can stay at for like 2$. Or at least pretend to stay there so I get the credit for it??? 

Thanks for listening to my shpeal... Laura