Blinds or no blinds for high windows?

Tom937
Level 2
Asheville, NC

Blinds or no blinds for high windows?

Hi group -- I'm currently building a 400 sf addition over my garage that will be attached to the 2nd floor of my existing home (which is my master bedroom), and the West-facing wall of the addition has three narrow windows to let in some light and provide some architectural interest on what is an otherwise really tall, blank wall. Think of the addition as a vertical axis of the "L" in an L-shaped configuration and my master bedroom as the horizontal axis (the attached photo is taken from my master bedroom, which has french doors leading to a small deck). Now when you stand on my MBR deck, you cannot see down into the AirBnB space because the roofline slants down and away toward the East, and therefore the living space is far below where these windows are located. Similarly, when you are inside the AirBnB addition, you cannot look up and see any part of my deck or windows because of the sharp angles and height difference. 

So my question is this: is it necessary to put blinds on these three windows, which are 14 feet tall, or should I save the money and leave the windows as they are? From a privacy perspective, there are no issues in my mind (although even so, perhaps it will make some people uncomfortable?), and from a light/dark perspective, the window faces almost due West, so you won't receive any direct morning sunlight. Do you think this would be a deal-breaker for guests wanting absolute darkness and/or feeling of privacy?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.  -- Tom

addition-112019.jpg

10 Replies 10
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Tom937 

we have thin curtains + gray fabric roll blinds but some (very rare) guests want total darkness in the bedroom and this is not enough for them. Our bedrooms are facing west as well but maybe street lights bother them. 

Thank you for the feedback. Fortunately, my space is off-street facing the backyard, so no issues with streetlights. Interestingly, my current AirBnB rental space has a large, untreated triangular window at the top of the Northeast wall, and it gets a *ton* of light in the morning. I advertise the room as "very bright and filled with morning sunshine", and I haven't had a single comment, either publicly or privately, about it being too bright in the morning. 

Tom937
Level 2
Asheville, NC

p.s. here is what you can see from inside the AirBnB space. As you can see, nothing but trees on the first two windows, and the third window you can see the roofline and partial wall of my existing house.

addition2-112019.jpgaddition3-112019.jpg

Jennifer1421
Level 10
Peterborough, Canada

@Tom937Your second set of pictures make it much easier to understand.

I wouldn't put anything on them myself, as it's obviously not needed. It also seems that for short people like me, I wouldn't be able to reach them to operate them, even if they were there. 

That said, it's not about what you or I might want, but what would make guests feel comfortable. I'm positive that there are folks who would not feel private without blinds/curtains. I'd add them to be on the safe side. Not sure what type to suggest, though, that are easily operated from below. Maybe roller style with a long pull string?

Thanks for your feedback, Jennifer. I have a blind controlled by remote control for the big picture window in my bedroom, but three of those for these windows would be $$$. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Tom937  I'm one of those people who can't sleep with any light coming in, but I've always used a thin, floppy pillow that I can put over my eyes. Then there are people who are early risers and love being woken by the light streaming in.

I guess you could not put blinds, and put them in at a later time if you get any complaints. Obviously the position of the windows don't cause a privacy issue, it's just the darkness when sleeping factor.

Lyn3
Level 10
Mapleton, Australia

Hi @Tom937  I really like the idea of what you are creating there.  I personally wouldn't need a window covering if I were staying there, however I understand that some guests might not like so much light coming in.  Just a thought - could you perhaps provide a couple of soft fabric eye masks similar to what the airlines provide?  If I was thinking of doing this, I would choose to provide disposable sleep masks.  Some guests would love them, others would not need them.

Then depending on future guests' feedback, you can decide later about the curtain/blind option...

Thank you for the suggestions. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

I agree with @Lyn3 , leave it as it is and you may change later if people will often complain.

We lost a booking last week due to this factor, one guest asked is it possible to totally darken our studio. But such inquiries are really really rare.

Lana15
Level 4
Cannon Rocks, South Africa

Hi Tom

I also have 2 small windows that led to guests putting anything they could find in front of it because of early summer sunlight . Privacy was not really a problem for they could look down onto the houses accross the road but nobody could see inside their rooms. Also to save some money I had some favourite pictures printed on canvas of our own views and my husband fixed the long ends to solid wood strips. We hung it over hooks and it has small loops on the bottom strips that can fold back onto itself to allow light into the window. 

NO problems or christmas wrapping fixed to the windows anymore. 

Printing done at our local Postnet was very afordable

Still allowing light into roomStill allowing light into room

Part of wallpaper cutout also printed on canvasPart of wallpaper cutout also printed on canvas