Blocking dates

Answered!
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Blocking dates

My proposition:

Dates should only be blocked by Airbnb when there is a confirmed reservation.

- A booking request should not block dates

- "verfication pending" should not block dates

- "Awaiting payment" should not block dates (at least not for 24 hours).

If you receive several inquires from potential guests just asking reasonable questions and then one booking request is coming in for similar dates, those other guests (pre-approved or not) get the message: dates or not available (anymore)

This is false information as long the booking request is not accepted !

Airbnb: stop acting as a control freak !

I am now receiving a lot of inquires/requests from international students, starting in the new semester. It is extremely difficult and annoying to manage this due to Airbnb's "blocking the dates"  policy. Some potential guests live in total different time-zone, communication takes much more time. And in the mean time the "let's book the place" lunatics (New profile, No ID verified, No reviews, Not reading the listing and Not having any questions at all) pop in, totally messing up things by blocking the dates.

BTW

Maybe give hosts an extra option: "only want to receive inquiries".

1 Best Answer
Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Emiel1,

I can see why a booking request would block dates.  Especially for listings that don't have IB enabled.  The blocked dates gives the first requester priority to book, and disallows the host from choosing among different requests.  I also understand, and agree with many of your points.

When a guest is about to fill in a booking request, there should be a note that asks if the person is ready to make a booking or is just asking a question.  It should be made very clear to a prospective guest that if their booking request is accepted, the reservation is automatically confirmed.  

Unfortunately, it is industry standard to hold a booking for 24 hours when a payment is declined.  I am listed on a few other platforms, and they all do it.  When this happens, to get the attention of the sincere traveler, I send a message that states the situation needs to be fixed right away, because the room is available on other platforms.  I also unsync the calendars among the different platforms to unblock the dates during the 24 hour wait period for the bogus booking.  

The inquiries only suggestion would be nice for some hosts, but I doubt that Airbnb would implement that option, because it doesn't lead to an immediate sale and them getting a commission.  Plus, there would be hosts who abuse this option by steering the guest to book off platform since there would be any metrics gathered for declines.

View Best Answer in original post

17 Replies 17
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

I agree these pending reservations are frustrating, especially when they are last minute.

We have had 5 same day attempt at bookings in the last month.  Were not cancelled until the next day.  AirBnB claims that they are not liable for the lost revenue.  Going to check into other platforms this evening.

Pip150
Level 2
Winchester, United Kingdom

sorry i am trying to start a new conversation but this site is driving me nuts because i can't see how to do it. when i just tried to block out a week at our house so that we can stay there i had to click each day at a time because it only allowed me to book one day. it used to give you a beginning date and an end one...what is going on? is it me?