Blocking specific guests

Kathy1
Level 2
Aston Clinton, United Kingdom

Blocking specific guests

Help! I've had someone book, then cancel. At all points in the process he has called me and is rather odd (he called me 6 weeks ahead to check I had the booking, again to cancel?)  He's now decided that he wants to come again and I really don't want to accept the booking - he's ringing me daily, asking to book offline and frankly, if he's freaking me out this much by phone I don't want him anywhere near my house. I've currently blocked the next 2 weeks so he can't book but I'd like others to. I don't want to start another conversation by changing from instant book and then declining his booking. 

I have never had a guest I felt uncomfortable about before but he is really creeping me out. I am a woman on my own and need to be happy about who stays. Is there a way to block him from booking without just making all my dates unavailable (current solution along with blocking his number from my phone)? 

Any suggestions? 

Thanks

28 Replies 28
Bridget0
Level 10
Redmond, WA

There isn't a way I've heard of for blocking a particular guest but you could do a few things before calling Airbnb:

-if you have instant book enabled, turn that off and open your calendar so that other people can book. If he requests, just decline without comment.

-if he is calling on your cell phone, you can usually block a phone number without too much trouble, look up what your particular plan needs.

-call Airbnb and be specific and direct. He is more than likely just clueless and rude but perhaps they can reach out to him and help him get another listing. Best to get it noted in the system that you feel uncomfortable and unsafe in case he tries to reserve and you need to continue declining him.

Dont reply to his calls but do email him through airbnb and say thanks for his interest but that you only take bookings through airbnb. Please keep any communication through them.  Add that you are not available for the dates he wants.  

As someone else said you may have to turn off instant book so as to decline him. If you do decline make sure you make it reason other so your calendar doesnt get blocked.

Personally I prefer to vet people staying in my home. He could be ok just a bit needy. I had one guest who bombarded me with questions before he came. In the end I sent him an email for the tourist office. When he arrived and was staying he kept ringing me and trying to get me to go places with him. He was nice but a pain. I had to be very firm with him.

Mg1
Level 2
Santa Barbara, CA

Although "I" don't know how to do this, it seems as though it should be possible.

I'd like to know as well because I just had a guest leave that I don't want to return.

I have instant book on and don't want this guy back at my house.

Airbnb please help!!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If you have IB and only take guests with positive host reviews, if your guest did something to break your house rules, leave the house dirty etc, then you can review him and give a thumbs down.

You can also flag the guest with BNB.

He then wouldn't be able to book with you again.

Of course if it didn't break your rules but you just found him uncomfortable it would be unfair to do this.

Why don't you call or contact BNB and explain the situation to them. If you don't have their details - have a look at the first point under Community Help that tells you how to contact them.

Mechele0
Level 2
Ilkley, United Kingdom

I actually believe that it would be a helpful function for AirBnB to add blocking guests from booking your rooms if your not comfortable with them, or you dont feel that they have entered into the spirit of AirBnB.  I too live on my own and I dont have instant book on the main house most of the time, although, Im sure you do lose out on bookings, as even if you reply within the hour, its not as covenient as getting confirmation instantly.

I have had a similar experience from a gent who tried to book for next year, he didnt have any reviews and the questions he was asking were ridiculous, i didnt get a good feeling so I declined his booking.  Had I accepted then he could have easily have cancelled, but the booking process would have given him all my contact information. Im sorry I know this doesnt help, although it may just highlight the safety issue, in the hope that they can introduce more selection options for guests.  There are a few people that have stayed that i would not want to return and I would like to have that option.

The matter of safety is a concern, i know AirBnB have introduced Gov ID would it be possible for a CRB  option or something similar? I know you dont have to choose that as your booking cirteria, but at least you have the option, and the peace of mind that the person booking has been checked and verified and is safe, he or she may just communicate in a manner that freaks you out??.

M

Just wanted to add my voice to the chorus of people who would like this feature.  I've had several guests who did nothing against the rules, and who I wish no ill will, but do not want in my house again.  For example, I had a guest who asked to borrow my car, asked to stay for free for a couple of days, asked me to drive her to the grocery store.  Nothing against the rules, but far too needy for my tastes.  I also want guests who vibe well with me and the other guests--some guests are just cold fish who treat the house as a place to sleep, but don't participate in the social environment of the house, and are cool and unfriendly to me and the other guests.  I'd like to keep instant booking on (I'm willing to give most anyone a chance) but for people who have proven they're not a good fit, I would rather not have them stay again.  

I also wanted to block a guest who had stayed with me, but left the house a mess.  I did not want this particular person to be able to book my place again, but I also didn't want to have to turn off instant book.

Just today I received an email with recent changes that Airbnb has made and it looks like they're finally tackling this.  It won't help the issue of a guest trying to book, canceling and calling too much.  But it will help those of us who have had a not so great experience with a guest and don't want to host them again.  Here's the news from Airbnb:

"We have updated the booking process to make sure you don't have to host repeat guests if you don't want to.  Now, anytime you give a guest 3 stars or less, that guest will not be able to instantly book any of your spaces, even if you have Instant Book turned on."

Christine--This is so helpful--thank you!

Christine Thanks for information!

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

I also am adding my voice to all those Airbnb hosts who want a way to block guests. I may have no choice but to turn off Instant Booking if this feature is not added soon. I am a new host and overall I have had wonderful experiences thus far; however, this is the review I just left on a couple who stayed night before last - They, of course, gave me a great 5 star review. Now, really, wouldn't anyone in their right mind want a way to block these people? BTW, the 'stains' I am referring to here were BLOOD. One or both of them were hacking and coughing all night and morning and I suspect one of them has tuberculosis or similar. And while we are on the subject, what does Airbnb do to educate hosts on how to handle bodily fluids that may contain infectious pathogens / contaminants (like Hep C, AIDS, etc) or from guests who are active with tuberculosis yet decide to check in to our homes as if we are a hotel equipped to sanitize and sterilize everything? Some more education seems warranted here. Here's the review I just left, which I forwarded to Airbnb. I also called them last night to share what happened, and sent pictures. My beautiful suite looked like a scene from Hitchcock's 'Psycho': "William and Jane were guests on June 14th, 2017.  They were very pleasant but may be better suited to stay in environments that have a team of professional cleaners who can quickly handle tough jobs. Although I'm sure it was unintentional, my beautiful, brand new suite (with new everything, including designer paint) was left in such a manner that it took me and my partner two hours longer to clean and sterilize the suite for the next guests than it usually does due to multiple stains on linens and robes, in the bathroom sink, shower, floors, and walls - All which required careful (gloved) handling and lots of bleach. Also, crumbs and coffee stains were left on the bedroom side-tables even though I provide 6 coasters to use,  and crumbs were on the bedroom floor. Also, coffee grounds were left all over the sink and elsewhere in the kitchenette and in the cups, and all over the coffee maker. Although the dishes were done, I had to rewash all of the dishes and utensils and sterilize them in hot water and bleach due to the stains I found in the sink and on the kitchenette counter. It was a very surprising and upsetting experience, one I did not expect to have to face while hosting on Airbnb."

@Rebecca181 

Thanks for your post. I now join the rest of you in wanting a BLOCK button for any guest that we do not want contacting us. It should be our right to have this option. I do not want a particular guest again and though I'm pretty sure she wouldn't ask, it would make me feel better to know that she can't. I would never use the IB. Vetting is important to me, as it is to all of you.

Airbnb; are you listening?!

Stacey

@Stacey16 I think that Airbnb would find that us hosts would be more comfortable having Instant Booking on if we had a way to block guests who we have had a bad experience with. Perhaps they will realize this and give us this feature, sooner, rather than later. I imagine we would only need to use it rarely - and, of course, it would not be okay to use it in a discriminatory fashion - but for guests who destroy our property or who are rude and intolerable, we should be able to block them, and private message Airbnb (or call Customer Service) to share why we must do this (if they need to know, to ensure we are not discriminating). 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Rebecca181,

Nice to meet you. Have you see this recent update to Instant Book?

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@LizzieI did not know about this update to instant booking! What a brilliant and efficient way to handle it.  I have to say  I've only been hosting a couple of months (and I'm pleased to share that I qualified to be a super host after just one month after opening) but I have been very impressed with Airbnb's response to both me personally as a host and in regard to larger community concerns.  I'm sure you get a lot of suggestions for improvements from hosts and this is a real valuable one that I for one greatly appreciate. Thank you to you and the whole team who helped make this happen at Airbnb! Perhaps get an email out to the community advising us all of this fact? Maybe you did but it was before I became a host here...? Best, Rebecca