Blood stains! Advice on damages/security deposit?

Claire30
Level 2
Austin, TX

Blood stains! Advice on damages/security deposit?

Hi,

I had guests check out today who were, well, only okay guests to begin with, but once they they left I discovered blood stains all over my bed linens.

I would like to request the damages come out of their security deposit, but wasn't sure how much to ask for. The linens cost several hundred dollars, but aren't new anymore... any advice on how to decide on an amount to request?

Thank you!

Claire

11 Replies 11
Linda0
Level 10
Spring, TX

Hello Claire -
First make sure you take pictures before you clean up. Then, if you have the name brand you may be able to get cost by researching on the net the cost of those linen and print for your record and then get pricing for similar or the same and present to Resolution Center for damages. You may have to purchase before they settle but I would get your case together as soon as possible since you only have 48 hours to do so.
Hope you suceed!
Linda

Thank you!

David-and-Fiona0
Level 10
Panglao, Philippines

Surely this is just part of doing business? I use blood thinning drugs and sometimes I can have a small scratch that bleeds. We have had guests that have stained sheets (accidentally) and we just deal with it as part of doing business. Hotels deal with this all the time.

Thank you for your message. If it were something like that, I would be very understanding, and certainly just think of it as the cost of business, but the guests both got large tattoos done while in town, and I feel like the blood stains on the bedding were due to negligence on their part, by not keeping the tattoos covered while they were healing. Does that seem reasonable, or am I being unreasonable?

@Claire - you are being very reasonable and your guest were very irresponsible in caring for your linen.
Ed-and-Hugh0
Level 10
Miami, FL

You can just wash out the stains in most cases. Most detergents are designed to remove blood, and you can use a little extra pre-treatment or bleach if necessary.

Unfortunately I did trying laundering - two different types of stain remover, and washing three times - the blood came out of the pillow cases but simply will not come out of the duvet cover. 

Hilary8
Level 2
Oakville, Canada

I've read that the key to removing blood stains is to make sure no dryer heat is applied.  Once they go in the dryer than the blood gets "baked in".  Good luck!

I now have one more mattress pad to replace. This may be the cost of doing business, but when the blood won't be removed after soaking, and soaking, and oxy clean, and carpet clean and only cold water. Perhaps the guest should have dealt with it right away, so it didn't "set" so completely. I think they should pay. I am going to start including a specific "blood" statement in my "rules". "You bleed--You buy".

Dee9
Level 10
Moriches, NY

its unfortunate your sheets are so expensive but then maybe you shouldnt use them for airbnb guests

surely we cannot charge every guest for sheets! thats ridiculous

if you have important things you dont want stolen or damaged then keep them away from guests

this is just normal wear and ear

A cheap sheet of cotton queen linens costs 50. My house is upscale decor which is part of the appeal. I would expect a conscientious guest would use cold water and hydrogen peroxide which is available to dab stains before they set. We're not a hotel chain buying in bulk.