Body spray...pungent smell

Annie638
Level 2
Brighton, United Kingdom

Body spray...pungent smell

Hi

I noticed a strong smell coming from my guests room, who was with me for three weeks. She kept saying it was lavender she sprayed a little of onto her pillow at night , but I said it wasn't that....the smell was getting stronger and I kept asking her about it....anyway, she has gone and the smell was so intense I could smell through the whole flat.

I asked her to send me details of the spray, turns out it is a Lush body spray. I've washed the walls around the bed, the pillows and duvet etc but now realised she has sprayed the curtains by accident, next to the bed. I might need to get them dry cleaned or at least laundered. Can I ask her for money towards this? Whilst my rules don't say no body sprays, I think she should have thought before spraying it on soft furnishings. 

Any views? I will now put in my rules no perfume or body sprays to be used in the room. 

8 Replies 8
Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

You can try to use an ozone generator to get rid of odors.

But this will kill any plants.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Annie638  you can ask your guest to pay for dry cleaning and if she refuses you can involve Airbnb but I don't think you will get anything from it. Hosts had problems with removing cigarette/marihuana smell and got nothing bc it is not considered damage

Ben-and-Sam0
Level 3
Chicago, IL

Two things I have had success with in removing odors from a space:

- Leave a bowl of vinegar uncovered overnight or longer.

- Not sure if this is practical for you, but a liberal sprinkle of baking soda on surfaces is magical.

- If laundering, using diluted vinegar instead of detergent works very well to remove odors. 

Good luck!

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Annie638 

I don’t think it would be a good idea to ask for damages and I don’t think Airbnb would give it to you anyway.

It would only serve to enrage the guest who probably adores the smell of her chemicals.

As for the curtains, hanging them outside on a sunny day might be as effective as anything.

If that’s not possible perhaps you could lay them out flat, sprinkle with baking soda, then air fluff in the clothes dryer.

I agree that you should make a polite note requesting guests to refrain from using smelly substances in your guest room.

Annie638
Level 2
Brighton, United Kingdom

Yes you are right, I did mention to her and she didn't seem very happy about it. Thanks I will try baking soda 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

hello @Annie638

I'm inclined to also say to take down the curtains near the bed and air them in the fresh air if you can.

Most curtains are able to be aired that way, alternatively, as much as it's a pain to have to wash them , if the weather is still warm enough in the UK, take them down and wash them in a gentle wash, you may be surprised how much dust comes out of them to, then line dry them.

Washing curtains from time to time, depending on the fabric can make a world of difference to one's breathing as well.

All the best

Annie638
Level 2
Brighton, United Kingdom

Hi thanks you, I will try this!

Dawn227
Level 2
McKinleyville, CA

@Annie638 You could add to your rules that any strong scents must be applied in the bathroom, which is usually easier to clean up than other rooms since it has no fabrics that are not easily laundered