Booked reservation showing as Cancelled but I received no notice

Nicole36
Level 1
Austin, TX

Booked reservation showing as Cancelled but I received no notice

I have a booking next month that shows as "cancelled" on my stats page. But I've received no notice of the cancellation from Airbnb or the guest. I'm not sure if they cancelled or if I accidently cancelled them? No email, nothing in the messages...I just randomly ran across it. 

Is this standard practice for Airbnb not to notify you if someone cancels? 

13 Replies 13
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

It is simply a reservation request gone wrong - the potential guest has not completed the identification process within the time limit given. Some do give up or find it too complicated and revert to a well known booking engine to find accomodation.

Joy323
Level 2
KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa

This has just happened to me as a host and those dates cancelled have remained blocked but i did not cancell, airbmb did. So whose fault is it and I have lost an income as a result. No message from Arbnb.  

My guest for today says they cancelled three days ago on the Airbnb site, the balancer has it still booked but the status says cancelled. Air bnb say they notify you of a cancellation but I have none and now I've lost money . how do I get Airbnb to sort this mess.?

When I went on to review conversation, I discovered a booking cancelled by AirBnB (not the guest due to inaction or action), but AirBnB never sent me a cancellation text or email.  And, meantime, of course, I turned down another booking with overlapping dates. This sucks.  Why this glitch AirBnB?   Will you fix this so it doesn't happen again -- is it related to having signed up for Smart Pricing? Cancellations notice should be sent to owner of listing in all circumstances.  What caused this? 

Leven0
Level 2
Western Australia, Australia

Having the same issue. Randomly came accorss my reservation saw a "cancelled'' researvation, didn't receive any notification or cancellation payout from Airbnb. Check the Transaction, no payout for that too. I have a Strick cancellation policy, guest cancelled 3 days before check in, so shouldn't I receive 50% of the payout?

Kevin993
Level 1
California, United States

AIRBNB just cancelled my 3 night reservation without notifying or emailing me, charging my credit card for one night and a service fee.  I showed up at the host house.  The host didn't know I was coming so it took over an hour to find her.  I showed the potential host  her my printed confirmed paid for reservation.  The host showed me an email from airbnb cancelling my stay.

Airbnb pocketed the $57 service fee and left me stranded.

Airbnb informed they will not refund the service fee.

We just had a reservation get cancelled also. We were not notified about it. Suddenly I saw someone book the same dates and was confused. I thought somehow two people were able to book the same days. I informed the person that it may have been a mess up only to eventually see "Cancelled" by the first reservation. We too are on a strict cancellation policy. I am not sure what happened. Don't get me wrong the money would have been nice but because of how it happened I am more upset that I was not notified of the cancellation thus confusing me and the new renter. I can't find a way to ask Airbnb why that happened. Hopefully it will not happen in the future.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

All the ways of contacting Airbnb are listed in the CONTACT AIRBNB post @Lindas1  at the top of the Help Forum.

@Lindas1 I have a case open with them  as they have done this for three of my reservations as a host. I will attach the policy # as to why they are able to do this and why they are able to violate my cancelation policy. 

Amanda1578
Level 1
Raytown, MO

I'd like to know if anybody else has gotten any matters resolved in regards to their cancellations that happened without their request as I am currently going through an ordeal with the host saying that the Airbnb said it's cancelled because of him and when we call them cuz he says he didn't cancel they say that they canceled because I inquired about a missing a amenity I'm not getting anywhere when it comes to Airbnb support

Shirley464
Level 1
Gilbert, AZ

My daughter booked us an Airbnb and they noticed a refund of half of the booking on their credit card. When they contacted Airbnb, Airbnb said that they had removed a piece of identification and therefore they canceled the reservation and charged them $600 which was half of the reservation. She looked at her profile and no identification have been removed. Airbnb refuses to show any proof and basically just said oh well we’re not sending of your money back. The host also said she would not refund their money even though she allowed someone else to rebook on the shame dates. Airbnb scammed us out of $600 and has refused any further contact. We are going to proceed with legal action towards them to get the word out so it doesn’t happen to others. I’m seeing a ton of this as I’m googling it. We’ve all always been great guests with great reviews. It’s sad to think that they’re turning to fraudulent activity. 

James2566
Level 9
Holetown, Barbados

This happened to me, it was quietly canceled by AirBnb and guest got a full refund and I never received notice. This guest was three days into the active booking and not arrived yet. I realized when he wouldn’t respond to my asking how things were going. He finally wrote his quarantine was taking longer than planned and he would just cancel the whole reservation because it was no longer worth it for him to stay on our island. Suddenly the active reservation disappeared so maybe he tested positive because my understanding is that’s the only reason they can cancel last minute without penalty. That was a big empty sore spot for us that we had no chance of rebooking. 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

The Johnsons
Michele408
Level 2
Malibu, CA

I just had to file a claim with the Better Business Bureau for this exact reason.  Airbnb cancelled over 21 confirmed reservations on 4 different properties - with no notice to me,  no payouts to me, and  in violation of my strict cancellation policy.  Their actions left so many guests scrambling (and some in tears).  This began happening began before the pandemic and continues still.  Airbnb customer support , escalations, and trust and safety have been useless, and they just repeat the same fabricated stories they've been trained to say.  I don't understand how this is legal.  Does anyone know?  this is over 40k in lost revenue for my small business in one of the most difficult years the world has ever seen.  Airbnb is a publicly traded company, and is apparently not held accountable to anyone for anything.