Booking is not charging me security deposit when stated in the rules of the booking

Josh1295
Level 1
Lenexa, KS

Booking is not charging me security deposit when stated in the rules of the booking

Before I booked an Airbnb I noticed that in the rules there was a $300 security deposit that was needed but when I booked it there was no security deposit in the booking. Would I still have to pay the security deposit if it’s separate from the Airbnb?

9 Replies 9
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Josh1295 Airbnb do not actually collect the security deposit unless you cause damage to the property during your stay. If the host is asking for a security deposit outside of Airbnb then I am unclear if this is allowed or not.

@Mike-And-Jane0 my understanding is that it is allowed, as long as it is disclosed before booking.

@Josh1295 it's not clear from your post whether this is the standard Airbnb "deposit" (which is not really a deposit) or a host-specific deposit stated in the listing text, which the host may request via Airbnb's "resolution center" after booking.

@Elena87 you can collect an additional security deposit through Airbnb's resolution center (as I said). You cannot collect it via other payment methods. Sorry my response to @Mike-And-Jane0 was imprecise.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

We collect security deposits through the resolution center. It's  a good thing, because you can apply it at your discretion, unlike VRBO, where you have to charge all guests or none. This tends to scare off the "good" ones that needn't pay a, deposit, so it's better to be able to apply it only to "risky" guests. 

However, this really isn't a sanctioned function of Airbnb, so beware that if at any point the guest complains (e.g., they caused damage and you kept part or all of the deposit, and they complain to Airbnb), there's a high risk that Airbnb will give it back to them and deduct it from your future bookings. 

So, if you go down this road, be sure to deal with the guests fairly and honestly, record all damages, try to get a written admission from the guest, and always avoid escalating it into a conflict. Be nice. Always. Even if they're rather nasty. Otherwise it could all be in vain. 

Harvest-Ridge1
Level 2
Paso Robles, CA

Can someone explain how AirBnb Resolution center handles the charging of the deposit?  Would it be charged (a hold?) to the credit card on file?  

We sent a request for deposit to the guest and were advised (by the guest) to apply it to the card on file which we do not have access to.  

Here is the response from Airbnb Support:

**[Message from CS removed in line with Community Center Guidelines]

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Harvest-Ridge1 I would worry more that some of your extra rules break US law let alone Airbnb's terms and conditions. The guest is only parroting your rules back to you that say the deposit will be charged to their card that is on file - good on them

Mike-and-Jane, can you explain how my rules break AirBnB terms and conditions?  The guest is informed of a separate security deposit at the time of booking.  In fact, the deposit is mentioned in the listing details.