Booking request = assumed booking?

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

Booking request = assumed booking?

I think I just need to vent. Has anyone else noticed the increase in booking requests with zero information except, if you're lucky, time of arrival? More and more, people seem to assume that a booking request is a confirmed booking. It never used to be like this - when I started hosting two and half years ago, people communicated with me as if I was an actual person being kind enough to allow them, complete strangers, to stay in my home at a budget price - they would tell me a bit about themselves, the purpose of their visit, how much they liked the look of my home and how much they would love to stay. I don't expect a thesis, but a brief introduction would be nice. Now, nearly all my requests just come with a 'we'll be there at 5.30' or 'see you on the 5th' like their booking is confirmed and I'm some kind of desk clerk or bot. Why is this? Is there something in the booking process that makes them think that a booking request is a confirmed booking? And where is the common courtesy? I would never do that in a million years.

Anyway, I got one this morning from someone with no reviews, no profile information, possibly a profile photo but I wouldn't know, first time user (joined May 2019) and a booking request with the message 'We'll be there at 5.30' and nothing else - no information whatsoever about who they are or why they're coming. Immediately after sending them my saved 'Assumed booking' message (yes, I actually have one of these now), I decided to decline them (and I never decline guests). Maybe that was a bit over the top, I don't know, but I'm just so tired of it. I really wish Airbnb would do more to educate guests or prompt them to provide information, but I doubt that will happen. Maybe we hosts need to start setting a few more boundaries with guests instead of always bending over backwards for them. The guest did get back to me with some information but it was too late. Hopefully, they have now learnt to communicate properly with hosts instead of treating them like servants. Okay, rant over.

103 Replies 103
Tim754
Level 1
Lancaster, PA

I agree. I have noticed the same over the past year or two.  Even though I clearly ask in the booking information to provide a description of the group, what brings them to town, etc..

I never book a guest without it. 

I learned never to assume that anything in the house rules and details of house and area are read.  Based on the questions I get, it is very obvious.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

As hosts, we have the ability to set the minimum verifications acceptable for a reservation.  AirBnB also offers hosts the option to view a guest's profile picture after booking, and if it's a photo of something other than a person, the host may choose to cancel the booking without penalty.

In your property's listing details, you may indicate the required information for all guest inquiries.  Place it prominently so guests don't overlook it at the bottom of the listing.  This should reduce, but not eliminate, the number of undesirable inquiries.

Valda9
Level 1
Fairburn, GA

I had someone wanted to book with me. All he said was is your house available I want it. My daughter was like no mommy do not book him. I decline him . He responded by asking me if I have another place. I told him I can’t host him at this time. Never heard from him again.

Joe492
Level 4
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

I received a booking request two days ago with only one single word "Hi..."

I replied and ask how many guests are coming and what time they arrive, there is no response. 

I accept the request and send pre check in message to her, still no response until today..

Claudia15
Level 2
Whitby, Canada

I am Claudia and I live and host in Whitby Ontario Canada. 

I found it very important to join this conversation. I originally became an  AIRbnb host in 2014, I saw it as a simple way to increase my income, and meet people. I took  up the challange of taking in strangers in my home and offering them the opportunity to live at my home as their home away from home.

The picture of  my guest really assisted in building my confidence and knowing a little about them and what was bringing them to my part of our world was really all that I needed to give me the confidence to give a very caring welcome.

kathy9 I am in agreement with you and it is an excellent point to bring up. 

Since many guest do not know any thing about the originating of AIRbnb and they see it as a deep discount hotel room.

In the last few weeks I had to educate one if my guest about the reason why AIRbnb began and these principles should be held in high esteem. 

This should also be brought to AIRbnb attention least they themselves forget, what it took to make them the millions of $ business they are today, in a very short time period.

I am a SuperHost. I will continue doing the AIRbnb business my style a little at a time.I will continue to make sure that I accept the guest can make my home their home, while they have to be aways from their home.

I have met some wonderful people along the way , their journeys are very interesting and 

a true fact all different. I give praise that I can offer a clean, quiet and comfortable space of the men who has to leave their families and be away to work, in order to provide for the families they left at home.

Recently I heard of a host who decided to leave the AIRbnb group because she was not confident that AIRbnb was making sure that each guest had the necessary and appropriate  identifications and reviews .  

Thank you for  this opportunity to share.

@Claudia15, I completely agree. I think the perception of Airbnb has changed radically since it started. Back then, it was a way for travellers who didn't really like hotels (like me) to connect with locals and stay in a homeshare. Now, it is just seen as a cheap way to get accommodation. Sadly, I don't think Airbnb cares - they are just happy with their $30 billion. Keep being the wonderful host you clearly are Claudia and I will do the same. But I will be more onto educating guests in future.

Dear Kathy9,

I notice you  did follow up my comments.. 

Each of us host who have recognized the discrepancies , do our part in educating 

the guest who request a stay at our home, our ze vices will be much more appreciated 

and we all will have much more considerate and knowledgeable  guest enjoying and appreciating the AIRbnb style of hosting strangers in their home. I truly like the business I am much more comfortable hosting strangers and I will continue doing it, the way it was originally planned.

Dale106
Level 2
Perth, Australia

Hi Kath,

It's great to hear feedback from other hosts. I certainly have had my share of guests assuming that everything is a given. You have been hosting for a few years now and I am quite new to the whole Airbnb thing. So, this is something that you probably have already tried. I often respond to my guests even though I have IB on. I prompt them with. Who are you travelling with. Are you coming from overseas or interstate. What are your plans while visiting. Is this your first time here. I do this in hope that I do get a response, but it is not always the case. I find it does work in most cases. I feel your frustration as I believe we have all had this at some stage. I am by no means an expert. I am taking my lead from other hosts that have used this platform for a lot longer than myself.

Well here's to more guests doing the right thing! I also mention in my reviews. That I had appreciated being kept up to date with plans and arrival times. In hope that it prompts my future guests to know whats expected. Also commenting on how clean they left the property. We can live in hope!!!

Hello @Dale106, you're almost a neighbour! Thanks for your reply (just to let you know, if you tag who you're mentioning by typing the @ symbol, they will be notified.) 

I agree that it's a good idea to message guests for this information just for your own knowledge, it's just the booking requests from people who send nothing but a blunt message that assumes their booking has been accepted rather than introducing themselves and explaining why they're coming. Honestly, I immediately feel like declining when I get them but I can't of course (except for the one that prompted this post). This is my saved 'Assumed booking' message I send now when I get these:

Hi xxx and thanks for your request. Please be aware that this is only a request at this stage and not a confirmed booking. Since this is my home, if you could give me a few details about yourself, the purpose of your visit and who is travelling with you, that would be most appreciated. 

Also, to ensure you're fully satisfied with your stay, please confirm that you have read the listing and house rules carefully to ensure they are a good fit for your needs.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Best wishes, Kath

Best of luck hosting!

@Kath9 We are almost neighbours. Thanks for the information. It is certainly a big learning experience and at times it is very, very frustrating. I just keep reminding myself of the great and amazing experiences I have had a long the way, thus far. Hopefully they continue to be the majority and not the minority.

It sounds like you are all over it anyway. With your welcome message.

There are just some guests who are not that way inclined. It certainly surprises me what some guests will do.

I have also done what you mentioned to Claudia. As I also believe the perception of Airbnb is cheap accomadation.  I mentioned to my last guests how I expected the place to be left. As some guests clearly feel that the cleaning fee is a tidying up after them fee. I am now clarifying that with guests, from now on. It's a fine line between being a great host and getting your guests to do the right thing. Without being rude or over stepping the mark. 

Keep up the great work Kath

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Kath9@Dale

We are almost neighbours to,  just a wee ocean in between us.

Love this Closer Economic Relations that was started between our countries in the 1970's - 1980's, Do you?

Who would have thought we would be able to communicate so quickly in the way we have compared with what people had available back then?

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

I'd love to see your assumed booking message?

I see it, thanks.

Gigi84
Level 3
Parañaque, Philippines

I believe Airbandb should take time to educate new entrants that the homes on Aurbandb are not hotels. It is a privilege granted to be a guest in a host’s  home. Therefore, courtesy, politeness and plain good behavor is expected from the guests.

Joanne63
Level 2
Pittsburgh, PA

I believe the app will not allow you to exchange or disclose any information such as address or phone numbers if it just an inqury.  They must book it and have a valid credit card on file.  During iquiry, they can ask general questions and get information but not get any of the address or phone numbers.