Booking requests from several guests with no reviews, ID verification

Michelle1822
Level 2
San Luis Obispo, CA

Booking requests from several guests with no reviews, ID verification

Hello!

I'm a brand new host to a home in Sedona Arizona and received my very first guest this past weekend. The weekend was very successful and she gave me a rave review! 

I am using Instant book, so I got a request from the individual and I took a chance based on what she wrote in her message to me, and that she had all the verifications, despite the fact her account was brand new. 

Today, I received two similar requests, where the individuals are brand new, don't have any reviews and both did not have government IDs on file. 

I asked them to submit the government IDs to their profile, which they promptly did.

Am I doing this right? I'm really looking forward to instant bookings from folks that have a proven track record. I know I am taking a risk in hosting these folks, and using Instant Book, but the fact that I only have one review might be the deterrent for seasoned travelers at this point?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

Michelle

10 Replies 10
Mike1034
Level 10
Mountain View, CA

@Michelle1822  I got about 30% of guests with no reviews or one review. And I have Instant Booking. Everybody has a beginning in Airbnb. Among the new guests, the ones with issue are about the same low percentage as guests who have 5 star reviews.

Just make sure that you have the following settings which may help you

(1) check the government Id required

(2) check have other hosts recommendations. This and (1) will force those new guests cannot instantly book your listing.

(3) Ask questions about their purpose of trip, who come with them, real picture uploaded on profile, which city/country they are from

(4) Set minimum days of stay to be two or three to avoid some locals.

Good luck in hosting!

Hi Mike,

Well that is very good to know. Wow 30%. I feel reassured that the the percentage of issues was very minimal out of that number. I'll definitely make sure I have those settings and great tips about asking them a few questions about their trip. If they are well meaning then they should have no problem in sharing the details of their plans.

Appreciate it!

Michelle 

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

I think I remember Airbnb telling me that a guest may be able to make a reservation before they are verified, but eventually they must provide the required information. Ask Airbnb to be sure.

Write in your description: Must be Airbnb verified to book

Also: No 3rd party bookings, meaning you must be the person staying (or one of the people staying).

About 25% of my guests this season had no reviews.

How many people in your area accept InstantBook? I question the value of InstantBook. I think it's puffed up by Airbnb. I don't use it. I did for about one day. First guest to book InstantBook was trying to book with their wife's Airbnb account, which for all I knew could have been someone's hacked account. Also sometimes guests with negative reviews use friends or family to book. Anyway, that's why I promptly stopped using InstantBook.

Michelle1822
Level 2
San Luis Obispo, CA

Hey Pete,

That is a really valid point you bring up. A guest with bad reviews can simply have their spouse create an account and start over. I would hope they would have learned their lesson, but who knows! 

I totally understand why you don't instant book. I decided to take the risk for a month to see how it goes. It seems like a lot of others offer it too in our area. I will definitely add those notes in my house rules. I think at minimum they need a government ID. 

Since I posted my initial question, I got 3 more instant bookings from folks that had good reviews, etc.

Thanks for taking the time to help me! 

Michelle 🙂

@Michelle1822  A guest could simply create an account with just a phone number or email. I saw many accounts which have only phone number and/or email. Just browse some user profiles of Superhosts in this form. Many of them just have Email and Phone number.

In that case, a guest with bad reviews in their profile can create a new account with a new phone number and email to book.

When a guest is very bad, it is not easy to find that out with just a first name provided by Airbnb in the booking request. You can ask questions, the bad guest can just lie. Fortunately the majority of guests are good. Probably less than 5% are not very good. The ones extremely bad probably are 1-2%. I got those numbers based on my hosting in the last 3 years with near 200 bookings.

Those stats are hopeful! Guess we have to take the good with the bad. Still baffles me that people either don't care how they treat a property and risk either a bad review, deposit forfeited, bad feelings or that they don't have an inkling of clue that they are a "bad guest" with their behaviors. Airbnb is such a personal thing. You would thing the bad ones would stick to a hotel where it's much less personal. I guess not though! 😕

Thanks again for the insight!

Hi @Michelle1822 

we are pretty recent host too. I asked the same question, but for different reasons in another thread.

Experienced hosts were very helpful. 

most of our guests have come from instant book. half of them have no reviews or photos, or are new to Airbnb. 

The only problem, if you can call it a problem, was from a guest who didn't like dogs, and hadn't read our listing where dogs are very clearly maentioned, so they marked our otherwise "spotless" rated space as 1 star for cleanliness and 3 value, purely because they didn't like dogs. And even then they were a very nice guest.... at the time.

We have had absolutely no problem guests yet, those with no reviews have been lovely, those without a profile photo have been very nice, probably just quite private people or brand new sign-ups needing accommodation in a hurry.   So I'd go with the accepted wisdom from more experienced hosts on this one, it seems a small percentage and worth the risk over the long game.

What a bummer that they didn't read the listing first. They didn't give you an opportunity to discuss prior before giving a negative review.  

Yes, I will definitely rely heavily on these more experienced hosts. Thanks for sharing your newbie story.

Happy hosting to you Kevin!

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

The fact is, that with one review, you are "below the radar" for at least 60-70% of the potential guests. When they become 20-30, all positive...you will be in their range. The instant booking makes the things easier. Without it, the progress will be very slow. For both sides. Well...like always, the fast progress comes with some risks and disadvantages. You can always turn off the IB. But I don't think, that you will be very happy with this decision. If the hosting is just a hobby for you, it's OK. But if you are planning to make a business, you need to gain a good reputation as fast as possible.

Hi Dimitar,

I share your same mindset in that I would be behind the curve for sometime if I did not participate in Instant Book. This is definitely not a hobby but an investment. Since I wrote my initial post, I received 3 really good instant bookings with guests with good reviews. I know that isn't a guarantee but it definitely feels more likely that we will have a win-win situation.

Thanks and greetings from California to Bulgaria!

Michelle