Bookings for one, but party is 2+

Stacie25
Level 2
Athens, OH

Bookings for one, but party is 2+

Has anyone else noticed an uptick in bookings made for only one, where the guest meant to book for two or more? We've had a rash of these lately, so many that I suspect there's either a technical glitch or that they've made a change to the site that is causing this. The guest says "we" in a message, so I ask how large their party is, and they tell me they entered the correct number and don't know what happened, an honest mistake. It just seems like there have been so many lately, it doesn't seem coincidental - is it just me? 

2 Replies 2
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Stacie25 

Stacie I can't speak for others but, with my own listing reservations, guest numbers are displaying and coming through to me correctly. I too sometimes note that the reservation is for one but, ' we'  is mentioned in the conversation stream. I have on occasions asked for clarification of the number who will be coming and most times, it's just an oversight and the guest will amend the numbers. On the couple of occasions the guest has chosen not to respond, I send them a 'smokescreen'  which says.......

"Looking forward to having you stay but just something to attend too! You may be aware that Airbnb offers both hosts and guests a form of liability cover on the off chance that something may go wrong during the stay. I know it's an extremely slim eventuality but, Airbnb only offers this cover to registered guests. For that reason can I please ask you to clarify with Airbnb the number of guests who will be with you. Sorry to be putting you on the spot xxxxxxxx but if that's not possible I will reluctantly have to have the reservation cancelled. I just can't take the risk of hosting without some sort of cover"

That always gets the desired response. It is of course nonsense, but the guest doesn't know that!

Another variation on that is 'City hosting regulations require the correct number of guests to be disclosed, otherwise I am breaking the law....can't do that' !

I always manage to end up with the nominated number of guests.

Cheers.......Rob

I am new to Airbnb but have rented for more than 10 years and I find if they say 1 they usually means MORE! I make sure they understand that is a falsifying reservation and could result in eviction and loss of payments. I find this happens mostly at spring break and WE or OUR is in the letter. So if they fix that I will usually continue if not then I know they meant to misrepresent.