Bookings

Bookings

Hello everyone I am new to Airbnb as a host I'm a bit frustrated becauselack of bookings can someone please take a look at my listing and let me know if there's anything better that I can do or provide any suggestions

2 Replies 2
Mel101
Level 10
Amsterdam, NL

Hi @Chateau0 Elan Executive Estate, what a stunning property!

The photos you have look very professional, but you need more of them. You list lots of facilities, including a dance room, 10 bedrooms, professional kitchen, and outdoor areas, yet we see almost none of these. Show all the features, including all of the bedrooms and the dance room, and caption them. Many guests won't get past the photos before deciding to book, so make it easier to start planning where they'll stay, and which bedroom is suitable for Aunty Ethel - you know, close to the bathrooms, but not too close to the dancing; rest is important at her age! Guests also like bathroom shots, for reasons that I am yet to fathom. Perhaps they need reassuring they won't need to dig themselves a long drop?

Then we come onto your text. I understand that you want guests to know they will be expected to behave while they stay on the premises, but starting your description with statements about what guests must/must not do, and your repeating of rules in a fairly abrupt way doesn't seem very welcoming. I agree that you can, and should be clear what you accept, but at least invite people in a bit by describing your property, and the experiences they can expect before launching into the rules. In advertising, this is called "selling the sizzle". It's based on the idea that when you're trying to sell sausages, you sell the sound on the grill, making people think about cookouts and family gatherings, rather than asking people to buy your cylindrical meat product. Your description of the amenities and what there is to do in the vicinity is good, you need to put it front and centre of the listing.

There are also less brusque ways to state your rules, which again enhances the welcome. For example,  instead of "Unexpired govt ID  required for all guests or you won't get access" You could consider "regretfully, adults that cannot provide current photo ID on check-in are not be permitted to enter the premises", which is less aggressive, but still clear.

Finally, put the rules once, at the end. Then you are covered. You can ask booking guests to confirm they've read and agree to your rules. Other hosts put some kind of Easter egg or a codeword at the end as a way to check that people have read them. I don't let an entire house, so I don't feel the need to do so.

Hope you find this helpful?

Cheers 

Mikki0
Level 10
Long Beach, CA

@Chateau Elan Executive Estate I agree with @Mel101 about starting off your listing with "you are welcome", but then having the first two lines be a bit harsh. 

I've mentioned to local hosts here that you're not selling real estate, you're selling a vacation or get away. The home is lovely, but other than the golf pictures, everything else says "house for sale". 

With 10 bedrooms, I would assume your core audience are (extended) family vacations/reunions, corporate retreats, etc.

Instead of "Terrace Level offers Stretch Deck, separate Grilling area, Dining and Chef's Kitchen (overlooking priceless golf course views), Mahogany Wet Bar, Granite Baker's Island. Rec / Gym Room, Sauna, Wine Tasting Room, Office Space & Parking!", how about something like:

On the Terrace Level deck, enjoy a grilled dinner, paired with a house wine from our wine tasting room all while overlooking the 17th green of the CE Woodlands Golf Course...". Now I can envision myself and 9 other family or friends on vacation, grilling steaks, sipping wine while watching golfers attempt to improve their par!

I would also designate a person to the listing. Having a profile pic and name of the real estate is not personable at all. I don't want to have to address a note to "Dear Chateau Elan" or worse, "To whom it make concern." 

I have a sign printed on beautiful stationary by the door that reads

Before you go (weather permitting) Can you kindly -

• Turn off the air-conditioner
  • Open the windows
  • Turn on the overhead fans and vent fan in bathroom
  • Put used towels and bathmat in the bedroom laundry basket
  • Leave the front door light on
  • Text xxx xxx xxxx that you’ve checked out

If you'd like some help rewriting your listing, let me know.