Books and movies?

Answered!
Susan10
Level 9
Elkton, MD

Books and movies?

Are books and movies obsolete?  Does anyone else leave books/novels and DVDs for guests, or do you think they are just dust collectors and not used or appreciated by guests?

With everyone having a cell phone - are radio/alarm clocks also unused, not necessary?

Just wondering....

1 Best Answer
Emily487
Level 10
KCMO, MO

I don't think they are obsolete at all. Readers are still out there!

I have a cheap battery operated alarm clock in each bedroom and a raido in one. I also always have a few copies of my recent (but already read) New Yorker and Atlantic magazines stacked nicely in the bookcase. I subscribe to the (free) Missouri Department of Conservation magazines (one for adults and one for kids) which I think is a nice way for visitors to catch a glimpse of our state.  All of the reading materials get used at least once a week by guests and since they don't cost me any additional money, I am happy to continue to provide them.

View Best Answer in original post

27 Replies 27
Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Kathie21 According to the link below, everyone who provides short stay accommodation in the UK, B&B or self catering should technically purchase a Hotel and Mobile Units Television Licence.

And if you have more than 3 guest rooms, you also need a PPL and a PRS license.

https://www.visitbritain.org/pink-book/tv-and-copyright-licences 

Kathie21
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Jeff158   Yup. It's the same price as a normal TV licence though, and as our listing is in our garden the licence covers both properties. There are a lot of legal requirements that I'm sure huge numbers of hosts are unaware of, especially those who host in their own home. I wonder how many have a gas safety certificate, for instance!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Kathie21

I do! And an electrical safety certificate. 

These things are VITAL when renting out rooms and far more important than having the correct kind of TV licence!

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Susan10I have books at both of my listings, and they do get read. People take from the stash and leave me new ones. When I'm travelling, I've picked up some really interesting books that way, so I think it's still a valuable thing to offer. 

At my cottage listing, I do offer DVDs, primarily for kids. I also have Netflix, but I think it's good to have a backup: it's a rural area and there isn't always internet service. They get watched. I also have quite a few board games. Again, because it's a cottage, I think they can come in handy on rainy days. I know they get played also. Even a simple deck of cards is good. 

I offer radios in both of my listings, and I don't feel like they get used much, but it's hard to tell. Both have an audio in so people can plug in their phones or other devices. 

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Why don't you ask your guests what they like to see in your listing, as you rent to the same demographic repeatedly? I have tonnes of books, the living room is a library and I know many guests chose me because of it. Books form an attractive backdrop anyway, can NEVER be dust collectors even if never read.

Says I, but I'm biased. I write them.

I don't purposely rent to the same demographic, it just happens that way; but I could probably work that in some how.  It is not an extensive amount of books, so I was just wondering.

Emily487
Level 10
KCMO, MO

I don't think they are obsolete at all. Readers are still out there!

I have a cheap battery operated alarm clock in each bedroom and a raido in one. I also always have a few copies of my recent (but already read) New Yorker and Atlantic magazines stacked nicely in the bookcase. I subscribe to the (free) Missouri Department of Conservation magazines (one for adults and one for kids) which I think is a nice way for visitors to catch a glimpse of our state.  All of the reading materials get used at least once a week by guests and since they don't cost me any additional money, I am happy to continue to provide them.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Like with @Alexandra316 my guest (and fellow island personnel) also trade books, they bring some and leave with new ones. Also have Sirius Radio, they really dig that.

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

I have lots of books in my place and many guests have positively commented on them. I also have some old CDs I dug up and have, which awxeral people seem to enjoy in a retro sense. 

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Guests appreciate TV and Netflix. Guests like travel magazine or some city guidebook.

Terry15
Level 2
Houston, TX

We keep a few books about the area and its history, and a few games for rainy days.  No DVD but we do have a player.

Louise231
Level 10
Manchester, United Kingdom

Yes and yes.

I can't count count how many guests have watched the Now Tv movies on the TV in the room. I always persumed it was popular because it had a different selcetion to Netflix and Amazon Tv -people like the novelty. But yeah, people use it all the time, I can see their watchlist when i watch it on my devices.

People staying for work, int tourists, couples away for a weekend, everyone. 

Books less so, but i include a partial picture of one of my bookcases in my listing as a bit of a heads up there are loads of books in the flat, (7 bookcases and counting!) guests like to bowse the books but very few take one into the room to read. Mostly i just get asked if ive read them all.

Magazines- kinda... I have a subscription to the Economist and i leave all the old issues in a basket (in order!) in the room, and people do go through them and have a browse. Mainly the work people or the international tourists.

Ned-And-Laura0
Level 10
Simi Valley, CA

The only book I have there is on local birds because we have tons.  But somebody spilled water on it and it's all wrinkled now.  I don't have dvd's or a dvd player.  I have Amazon fire stick and they also have access to our HBOgo, showtime, and several others.  so far everybody has been very happy with that.