Break in to air bnb property

Durga0
Level 2
Portland, OR

Break in to air bnb property

Hi, the cottage we list on Airbnb was broken into last weekend and some of our guests' belongings were taken. I've been trying to get in touch with Airbnb about it, but they just keep saying that a Trust and Safety person will be getting in touch with me shortly. It's been three days with no contact. 

Does anyone know what Airbnb's policy is about this kind of thing? The guest and I would both like to know. What does the procedure look like when this kind of thing happens? Any idea what the timeline is likely to look like for resolution?

Thanks,

Durga

13 Replies 13
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Could you explain what you are trying to resolve? Sounds like a matter for the Police, not AirBnB.

David

I'm trying to figure out if there's a procedure that Airbnb has when this happens. I've read that they have insurance - what does that insurance cover? Is it only for guest injury or property damage? I'm fine if that is the case, I would like to know so I can know what next steps I need to take.

To be clear, a report has been filed with the police. 

Debi1
Level 10
Portland, OR

@Durga0, I don't know if this will help, but something similar happened to us.

We had just begun hosting from our primary residence, and we list with Airbnb, VRBO and Flipkey.  At the point of the break-in we had received only 10 sets of guests.  They consisted of vrbo and airbnb guests, about half and half.  We assumed that a previous guest had copied the door key and come back at a later date to help themselves, because there was no evidence of any damage.  

We felt terrible for our guests, and I'm sure you did, too.  We called the police, who came out and inspected and filed a report.  Airbnb was notified immediately as was VRBO.  VRBO was so very sorry this had happened to us.  Airbnb took 2 months, interacted with our guests a few times, required and received the police report, and ultimately paid us $20 for the pillow cases the theives used to carry their haul.  Our cost, out of pocket, to our guests to cover their stolen items was $700.

We have since installed a keyless entry system on our vacation rentals.

Thank you, Debi - this is helpful. I'm starting to wonder if I would just be better off contacting my insurance company directly. It sounds like Airbnb doesn't really insure for theft from guests? How long ago was this, if I can ask? I wonder if Airbnb has changed any of their policies since then?

How long did it take for Airbnb to respond with any action? I'm disappointed with them, I've been assured they would contact me quickly, and it's been 3 days. I'd just like to tell my guests something.

@Durga0

I read your message and the following responses. I think you are lost and keep waiting for someone to fix the situation when there is  actually no fix. There is also no point keeping your guests waiting for some answers. File a police report, fix what's broken, offer compensation to guests if you can/want. Airbnb does not provide traveler's insurance to guests. https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/241/i-m-a-guest--what-are-some-safety-tips-i-can-follow So waiting for airbnb trust&safety manager to get back to you, it pointless. 

Your home insurance is unlikely to cover a burglary unless you specifically added that coverage when you enrolled.  Even if it does, your losses could barely meet your deductable. Most items are covered at their present market value, not at a replacement cost. Before you file a claim, just check the coverage, otherwise you'll have an unnecessary claim against your insurance which was denied. 

The best answer is to move on, show sympathy to the guests that they lost something. If the theft was your fault, like a non-working doorlock which allowed easy enterance to the unit, then you should probably take the reponsibility.  

Good luck recovering from this situation. It's unfortunately a very unpleasant experience for all. 

Thank you, this is all I was looking for. I just needed to hear if Airbnb's insurance covers this kind of thing! It would be helpful if they would just return a call or email, it's a pretty simple question.

The door showed no sign of being jimmied, the guests claim it was locked, the policeman said that there being no sign of forced entry led him to believe that the door was left unlocked. It's a sliding glass door.

I assured the guests I'd make sure they were reimbursed, one way or another. They are listing the value of the goods they lost at over $2000, an iPad, eReader, and fairly expensive luggage and clothing. It's helpful to know about replacement value as opposed to market value.

Okay, thanks all, I can forge forward now.

You can read what cover is provided by AirBnB, it is very limited and would not apply in this sort of case.

Not sure why you want to pay, but your money.

David

Guess what I checked in into my flat in Paris on Friday afternoon. There are to secure doors that needs a combo and they a key to my flat. When you close the door is locked and if you look it with the key then is bolted. Been out of the apartment twice and today I noticed that my two Bose headphones are gone and 400 dollars in cash. He says that they have two sets of keys and one is in the office and then ours. He gives us the keys. Then gets another set out of his backpack and tells us that a worker might be coming over later today to inspect on some roof damage. Needless to say our 400 dollars and two Bose headsets are gone.

Maite-Fred0
Level 1
Oviedo, Spain

Hello!

I’m an Airbnb user.Unfortunatly yesterday when we got back home the door was open, the lock forced and broken and all the house was up-down. Our things and the owners too. We called the police directly , we didn’t touch anything, the time they got to the house we called the owner that was out from the city and finally his brother came to the house to secure things and take the keys back. We had to call several times to air bnb service to check-know what to do! It was a little late but they helped us looking for solution for the rest of the week and gave us back the money from the reservation...

But it with the rest we don’t have any other help information. We just need to know a few things to clear up the situation:

1. Who’s paying our stolen things

2. What to do to help in this situation. Of course we’ll help he owner with the complaint but we don’t want this to go further (having to be back as witness for example! Who will cover the expenses??)

3. Question for owners! How it works?? Are you obliged to have an especial insurance when you put your house on air bnb??

4. In case the owner don’t have a covering insurance , what we can do??

Unfortunatly this situations are not nice for anyone... we are collaborating but just wanted to know where we are in legal terms.

thanks in advance for your help

mfa

1. You need to report the theft to your Insurers.

2. Well that would be a Police matter but sounds like there is nothing more for you to do. You did not witness anything.

3. Most standard Homeowners insurance will not cover commercial activities so hopefully the host has specific cover for their losses.

4. Not really your problem if the Host has Insurance or not.

David
Eric1239
Level 1
Waianae, HI

My identification and valuable things were taking as well and they won't offer me compensation 

Ray204
Level 2
Omena, MI

Our Airbnb got broke into, thieves brought their kid too. Had a good time, druggies, stole all valuables then left. Airbnb never returned calls, we were ignored.