Breakfast/Meals?

Jennifer976
Level 8
Calgary, Canada

Breakfast/Meals?

I have 2 rooms in my home that i rent out and have been doing this for just a few months.  I love to cook and bake and usually offer guests a pastry or some of a meal that i've cooked (I don't seem to have the ability to cook in small quantities).  I have had a few guests suggest I provide it as a part of the service and get paid for it.  So i'm wondering if anyone who does provide this service can let me know what they think good and or bad about how this works for them.  Also, are guests willing to pay extra for that?  How do you differentiate in the pricing if in one room a guest wants the meals and in the other the guest does not.  Is there a place on the website where that can be sorted out in the cost?

Any advice or information on your experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Jennifer

7 Replies 7
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I include a self serve breakfast in the nightly rate, @Jennifer976.  For me it adds value for visitors.  Most will use the many great restaurants for dinner, but breakfast is appreciated by all the guests and is often mentioned in my reviews.  Are you aware of any local regulations about selling food in your area?  It probably is worth exploring.

hello Linda ...im also was thiking to offer self breakfast in my facility ..if you know tell me please ..how i can do this on web Airbnb???thanks lena from Ukyua place Swaziland{Eswatini}

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Jennifer976 you could charge for breakfast via the resolution center ("send/request money").

FWIW, we used to provide breakfast but could not make it pay. On the other hand, I'm not a cook. Now we just offer to stock groceries at cost. Rarely does a guest take the offer.

Jennifer976
Level 8
Calgary, Canada

I hesitate to charge for a breakfast that a guest may say to themselves "i don't want this so don't want it included in my price" and then they go somewhere else.  It would be nice to see that as an option in the future for Airbnb hosts and guest I think.  1. For a host to choose to provide it.  And 2. for a guest to choose if they want it and it would automatically adjust the price.

I'll have a look at the resolution center and see what that might look like.  Thanks so much!

Like Linda I provide a basic pre-stocked mini fridge in the unit along with a small fruit bowl. I have a large number of international travelers who arrive jet lagged and later in the day. In our area there are few places to obtain decent food after 8:30 pm. I know from my own travels the feeling of waking up at 3:00 in the morning so hungry that I would have done almost anything for an apple or pear. 

I just build this this cost into the nightly price and it is another reason that I charge an extra daily charge of $10 per night per person for third and fourth guests.   My breakfast basics are: pint of milk (quart if children are coming), small bottle of fresh squeezed orange juice, one pint or less of half n half, English muffins, cream cheese,  butter and olive oil, 6-12 fresh eggs, four fresh apples, 2 oranges or other seasonal fruit.   I don’t provide alcohol or meat as I can’t really know what the guests would enjoy. I am just trying to have something there to take the edge off if necessary. Sometimes if really young children are coming I will also provide a box of Cheerios.   I also provide a few bottles of water, as well as cans of Perrier, Diet Coke, Orangina, cranberry juice and Gatorade. 

I used to to provide even more staples (nuts, crackers, energy bars etc) and a much greater fruit array. However that extra cost was not registering in ratings.  I still get the same appreciative ratings with a more minimal offering. 

I think it’s worth noting that I often receive food from guests. Sometimes that’s a special gift. Sometimes it’s bottles of extra beer they never opened and so on. Sometimes it’s just in-opened cream cheese, milk or butter that I provided in thr first place - so not a loss to me. 

My nightly rate runs about $125 for two guests.  These basic supplies (many of which are organic) cost about $30-$35 per turn. Although Airbnb is often telling me my nightly rate is too high I don’t think they are taking this into account. In addition to fresh foods I always provide a vase of simple fresh flowers. Typically tulips cost about $8 on average. 

This is approach may not be that useful in areas with fewer tourists, or with tourist clientele who are not particularly interested in fine food, lush produce and such that is so available in Portland.   We have a lot of foodies visiting here and they seem delighted just to have a little food security when they arrive. They don’t have to rush right out to grocery shop to feed their hungry tired little kid or elderly Mom. 

I always have a continental breakfast available, however I provide hot breakfast on request if I'm available. Most have not taken me up on the offer (about 3 or 4 in 50+ stays). I find many people like yo eat in the neighborhood on their stays here, but I've never gotten complaints on the home cooked on. Usually do eggs, casseroles, bacon, pancakes, frittas.

Lisa-Maree1
Level 2
Moruya, Australia

I am wishing to add breakfast as an option for guests but am worried about the food handling requirements/regulations. If a guest has a negative reaction (eg allergic reaction) to the food or for some reason gets food poisoning (my cooking & cleanliness are great by the way) this could open up a case for defamation & could turn ugly very quickly. Does Airbnb have any process in place to protect hosts against this possible result? Would appreciate any information.

Lisa