Breakfast Picnic

Michelle635
Level 2
Dripping Springs, TX

Breakfast Picnic

Hi Everyone!

When I began hosting, I was unsure as to whether I’d provide breakfast or not. I decided to do what I call a “breakfast picnic”. I provide some combination of the following: Croissants, muffins, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, fresh fruit, cheese. I wrap these things and add a couple bottles of water and put them in an old fashioned picnic basket that I got at Goodwill (and I thoroughly cleaned!)

I always add a written note—something like, “Good morning! Hope you rested well! Let me know if there is anything I can do to make your stay more comfortable. Enjoy your day! 

I leave this on the porch in the morning, with a knock on the door, so they can retrieve it at their convenience. 

My budget is $5.00 per person, in addition to the coffee, tea, water bottles and usually small snacks that are already in the cottage. Most things I get already individually wrapped, or buy at our local supermarket and re-wrap them. For example, I can get 4 large muffins for $3.98, and then I wrap 2 in plastic wrap for 2 guests. Hard boiled eggs are .99 for a pack of 2, and I like the Oui yogurts that come in little glass jars. They’re $1.34 each. A little cluster of grapes and a couple bananas are under a dollar, and water bottles are about .13 each if you get a big pack from Costco. 

Yes, you can put water in the space ahead of time, which I do, but I like to add some to the basket as well. It gives it more weight, and fills it up more, which conveys value. 

I know cooking our guests a breakfast does not work for many of us, but I’ve found this only takes me 10-15 minutes to put together in the morning. The great thing is the guests responses! I can’t tell you how many guests comment in our guest book as well as in reviews and verbally, how much they appreciate the breakfast basket. I was rather surprised that it makes that big of an impact, but it seems to!

Of course it is not necessarily expected, particularly if you don’t advertise that you provide breakfast. I guess that’s one reason I like to do it; because it’s NOT a typical expectation. So I feel this makes us stand out a little, and hopefully contributes to repeat guests, good reviews and guests recommendations!

2 Replies 2
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I also provide breakfast, @Michelle635 receive the same compliments and appreciatioin.  I think if a listing is in a city or town with great little eateries, the guests might prefer to go out for breakfast.  Your location is a bit remote so I can imagine a breakfast is most appreciated.  Like your place, many of my guests like to enjoy a hike and making sure they have a breakfast allows them to do that and eat out for lunch and dinner.

Since my listing is a private room (or two if they choose), I offer much of what you offer but with a little cooking involved.  Sometimes I add in deviled eggs in lieu of just hard boiled or fruit compote instead of pieces of fruit.  I will share a secret about my muffins.  I buy Costco muffins which are really too big for most people.  I slice each muffin into 4 thick slices and lightly toast each slice.  It is yummy and the guests think I have baked fresh breakfast bread.  😄

Your cottage is so cozy and it is obviously constructed with love.  If you ever come to the Palm Springs area, there is an 80 year old pueblo called Cabot's Pueblo Musem that was built over the years using found materials.  Not refined but the history is interesting.

Hi Linda! 

Thanks so much! We did build the cottage with a lot of love and I’m finding such joy in sharing it with others, and seeing their joy. 

Thanks for the tip tip on the Costco muffins—that’s a great idea! 

Your place reminds me of home...I’m a Cali girl by birth. 

Have a great day!

Michelle