Breaking house rules - suggestions

Dev4
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

Breaking house rules - suggestions

Dear Hosts,

My property is in a condo building. I have strictly mentioned in house rules that "guests should contact me at all times. Please do not contact the building security." This is primarily because the building security is for the tenants of the building and do not like to deal with Airbnb guests.   

Recently, I had a guest who showed up earlier, went to the building security and asked them the keys. When the Security showed no inclination to help her, she called me. I was very suprised on hearing that she is already at the building without calling me as I had left her multiple messages (on Airbnb) and voicemail to call me asap. I reached the location in 15 mins and checked her in.

She seems to be a nice lady, using Airbnb for the first time. But she put me in a difficult spot by contacting building security. I expected her to read the house rules and make an effort to contact me. 

Any thoughts or advice on how to handle such situations. 

Regards,

Dev

7 Replies 7
Willow3
Level 10
Coupeville, WA

I've got nothing but sympathy for you.  I have EXTREMELY clear instructions for check-in in my welcome message.  I have a labled photo showing where to park and where room is.  And yet, I still have probably 50% of my guests park in the wrong area, and ring the front doorbell.  

I've asked guests to confirm reading/receipt of instructions.  They don't.  I've lost track of how many times I've heard "I can't find the info you sent me on how to check in".

I really think that this is an issue that Airbnb needs to address with new users... that hosts will ONLY be corresponding via the platform.  So often I think they book a space, and then just never come back to their account to view messages.  

@Willow3

completely agreed with you!! I think some people just don't get the concept that this is not a hotel and they need to pay a little more attention. If I don't receive response through Airbnb messenger than I text them. Often this has worked well and guests do reply immediately. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

How else besides through Airbnb do you communicate with your guests?

At least 50% of my guests ask the same question over and over (Where do we meet?) yet is #1 in the instructions. Nothing Airbnb can do about a human race that is fundamentally lazy and basic reading comprehension is an adventure.

@Dev4I would be even more blunt with your guests about NOT bothering building security because yes it puts you in a bad spot. Perhaps also impressing upon them not to arrive early because you won't be there.

@Fred13

Thanks for the reply. Of lates, I have started texting my guests prior to their arrival. In case they don't respond then I call Airbnb and ask them to communicate with the guests. Lenghty process but saves me time in dealing with condo management.

@Dev4

You will have to elaborate - not just say "don't contact building security".

Emphasize that if they don't listen to you and properly read the house rules THEY will be inconvenienced. Tell them bluntly, host is the only one with the keys AND building security cannot and will not help you AT ALL so don't even bother asking them for help.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Dev4  Would you have problems with your condo association because of your Air BNB listing?  Many HOA's do not allow short term rentals.  Just wondering.

@Linda108

The building has no issues with Airbnb. However, they do not take part in the transaction and don't usually endorse Airbnb.