Brisbane Hosts

Andrea-and--Matt0
Level 3
Aspley, Australia

Brisbane Hosts

Hi Brisbane hosts.   Lets use this new Community Centre to share our knowledge, and experience(s) both good and bad to other Brisbane hosts so that we can all grow and learn on our Airbnb journeys.

Look forward to chatting with you all online.

M&A

47 Replies 47

Hi

Do you need to own the house or is it possible to sublet? I am currently leasing an apartment in Brisbane and have been told that it is illegal to host BnB if I do not own the property.

Thanks

Hi Sonny,

You are most likely going to be breaching the terms of your leasing agreement if you sublet without agreement from the landlord. I'm not sure if it will land you on TICA, but I feel you could get evicted. 

If you really want to do it, I would do two things:

1. Clear it with my landlord and possibly offer them a bit of extra rent as a sweetener. Get it in writing.

2. Get some additional insurance to cover any damage done by the guests.

Then, if this owner won't agree, go house hunting for another rental. Be upfront from the very beginning with the property manager who manages that property.

If that is not successful, look for a rental via gumtree. Here you will find owners who self manage. Here you could do better. I would suggest getting a rental agreement in place and check what it may or may not say in terms of subletting. I would also say, ensure you have insurance to cover damage done by guests!!

Hi Andrea and Matt,

I just feel that I need to start getting this out there.  I have just been closed down by Brisbance City Council after a  long expenive process to get Rooming Accomodation for more than 5 unrelated persons under my roof.  This was unsuccessful - so now have to go back to 5.  But cannot use Airbnb.  According the the Brisbane Council - this type of Accommodation is illegal under this Shire and they are in the process of closing down, Airbnbs, complaint driven.  So as soon as neighbours complain etc, they will close you down.  My cleaner, knew that I was over 5 people and when I had to cut her hours, she, I think was the one who complained to the Council.

I have friends that also do Airbnb - now I am worried for them.

Regards

Donna

Sive0
Level 1
Brisbane City, Australia

Hello!

Just wanted to join this Brisbane host community, think it's a brilliant idea....

Andrea-and--Matt0
Level 3
Aspley, Australia

Gday all,

Lets call it life getting in the way, but a while ago I did flag the idea of setting up an AirBnb Hosts Brisbane group

Just wondering if there is still interest in this idea as a place we can meet/share ideas etc

Cheers

Matt

Hi All.

lets get this Facebook thing rocking. 

I have created the Airbnb Brisbane Hosts group, it is bare bones at the moment, but I'll put some work into it over the next little while.

lets use it for sharing our experiences, rules specific to Brisbane, and for getting to know other hosts 

Thanks Matt - I'll join now!

Ryan-and-Anna0
Level 2
Ann Arbor, MI

Hi Brisbane Hosts!

We are new to the city and are looking to Airbnb our extra bedroom in the West End. We are leasing our place and are curious: Are there fines/legal issues with airbnbing in Brisbane when renting? Our lease says 'no subletting' but all leases say that and in the few years we have been doing Airbnb in other cities, we haven't had an issues. We are just wondering about Brisbane in particular and if there are any city guidelines/laws or anything that anyone has run into? Very much appreciate your insight! More than likely, it'll be fine but since we aren't from here we just want to hear it from other renters that have experience with this area.

Thank you kindly!!

Jakub5
Level 2
Queensland, Australia

Hi Brisbane Hosts, great to be here. We are small property management and we manage dozens listings in Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne. We would be very happy to help you with management if you are leaving for a holiday or business trip or if you just need overall help. 
Happy to chat

Jacob

Brenda182
Level 1
Brisbane City, Australia

How do you know where your place is listed & how people are accesssing your advertisment?

Hi Brenda, not sure if this will help or not, but have you tried logging out of Airbnb and then doing a search for your suburb and see where your place comes up? This is how I found mine when I first listed.  I think that in the stats section you can also see how many times your place has been viewed by potential guests.  I hope that helps, cheers, Jennie

Rubina4
Level 2
Saint Lucia, Australia

Hi there, i am hosting an airbnb in St Lucia near the university. 

I would love to be part of this group. Anyone from south west Brisbane who may be hosting?

Thanks, Rubina :0)

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a Guest Meet and Greater in Brisbane CBD and Hamilton Ascot. If anyone knows someone that would be great.  My lockboxes keep getting chopped off, sick of loosing keys, and paying management $150 each time...Clearly they are the ones chopping them off. 

Please let me know if you can help.

Louise382
Level 1
Keperra, Australia

HI All, I have only  just begun. My listing has only been put out today.  I have a few questions.

1) How do I get rid of previously listings that I never finished?

2) I can't seem to use the calander, I can't block days or make days available, the information that is given hasn't helped me at all?

3) Is there as issue with Brisbane council using AirB&B?

4) Do I need special insurance for Airbnb?

If anyone could help me with these many questions, that woul be great.

Jennie0
Level 2
Brisbane, Australia

Hi Louise, good luck with your hosting adventure!

Others might be able to give you assistance with your technical questions - I find the easiest way to get help with some of these things is to call Airbnb. It took me a long time to find their number so I'll give it to you here (02)85203333. I've always found them very helpful. 

The first place to find out about Brisbane City Council's laws/permits is https://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/1723885/Home-based-business-self-assessable-checklist  If you find that you don't meet the criteria in this self-assessment, it would be wise to talk to someone in the Planning department at BCC. You can also see another conversation amongst Brisbane hosts on this site - I'll send the link in a separate message.

There is a special host insurance that's been developed specifically for this kind of accommodation - I have taken out Home Host insurance cover through Ceneta Insurance Services - www.hostriteinsurance.com.au 

It is VITAL that you check with your current insurer to make sure that your hosting activities will not adversely affect your current cover.  When I first started in 2016 I found that RACQ was the only insurer who was happy to continue with their current cover (they even put a clause in my policy to indicate this).

I hope that's helpful for you Louise, cheers, Jennie