Budget ways to spruce up your space

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Budget ways to spruce up your space

Decorating.jpg

Hello everyone!

Sprucing up your home is a great feeling, it allows you to give your home just that little finishing touch. It can be something as simple as moving around some furniture or hanging your favourite painting on a wall.

There are many ways to spruce up your home on a budget, as there are many useful tips & tutorials online.

However, I have been wondering whether you have any good tips to share on sprucing up your home on a budget? Perhaps, you might even have good tips to share on how to DIY certain items?

It would be great to hear about your experiences and maybe even about some projects you've worked on 🙂.

I'm looking forward to hearing your answers!

(p.s. I've moved into a new house, and I'm very keen on hearing about any tips that you might have.)

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

58 Replies 58
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That's really creative @Kath9! I've bought some grey paint and will be painting an old table which I will be placing outside :-). 

I look forward to seeing how your project with the upholstery works out! Would you mind sharing this at a later stage? 

-----

@Quincy, sure, when I get round to it! Just waiting to come across the 'right' fabric for it...

@Kath9 I would love to see the picture of table and chairs also!

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey @Quincy, love this topic! What I came to realise is that it's easier to sprouting up the house by changing specific decorations. What I've done is keep everything neutral and minimal colour and design-wise, as far as more significant, bulkier, and expensive items are concerned (e.g. couches and other furniture), and then make smaller, cheaper, easier changes every few years. From colourful vases to different paintings and rugs that can change the feeling of the rooms significantly, only by bringing new colours in them. 

I’m with you @Nick . Neutral on the big stuff, then colour on the replaceable colour splashes. Cushion covers, art frames, vases or plant pots or coasters etc.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That sounds great @Nick! What kind of colour did you use?  

-----

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Big splashes of bright colours. Red, blue, yellow and green - not at the same time though, but concentrated in a colour or two each time @Quincy 

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Hello @Quincy 

Is that picture your new living room or is just an example?

To spruce up the living room that appear in the picture you have posted... the first thing to do (IMO) it would be to change that floor that sounds like a chess table for some other one.
Maybe be you could paste another type of vinil floor, wooden texture or some light color. This type of material to cover floors are sold by meter, similar to fabrics.
I do not know if it would fit your budget. However in the youtube there are lots of videos teaching on how to DIY.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @J-Renato0, I hope you're well 😃. That's a picture of one of the corners in my living room :-). These are good tips, but the flooring is just new haha! 

-----

I bet @Quincy, you liked “The Queen’s Gambit”!

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

hahahahahaha @Cathie19 

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Wow, that's amazing @Quincy   thought it was a random image from a photo bank. The big windows, the shatters and the flooring made me think it's somewhere in the Mediterranean. Looking very nice!

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Haha, sadly that's not a pic of my living room @Cathie19  @J-Renato0  @Nick! I wish it was though 😂

I meant this photoThis was taken in the eveningThis was taken in the evening

-----

Nice one @Quincy.
ALWAYS, keep your palette or vision simple on the eye. That doesn’t necessary minimalist, but allow the eye to gently flow without feeling overworked or chaotic with colour clashes..

Over themed can by unsettling, as can be too minimal.

Maintaining colour tones is relaxing. Too many opposite tones and colours can be very clashing and creates discord/ disharmony. 😊🌻

Look at the size of the room and decide can it take more colour or warmth, depending on heights of ceilings, what type of light it needs,

Some people recommend doing minimal in the first year, until you have “lived through all the seasons”. That way, you get the sense of light, shadows, warmth etc. 

Buying furniture or soft furnishings en masse  can lead to overspending and not being happy or as relaxed in the space as you might want.  What works in summer is awful for winter... so there’s the balance.

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

hahaha still looking nice though @Quincy