Budget ways to spruce up your space

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Budget ways to spruce up your space

Decorating.jpg

Hello everyone!

Sprucing up your home is a great feeling, it allows you to give your home just that little finishing touch. It can be something as simple as moving around some furniture or hanging your favourite painting on a wall.

There are many ways to spruce up your home on a budget, as there are many useful tips & tutorials online.

However, I have been wondering whether you have any good tips to share on sprucing up your home on a budget? Perhaps, you might even have good tips to share on how to DIY certain items?

It would be great to hear about your experiences and maybe even about some projects you've worked on 🙂.

I'm looking forward to hearing your answers!

(p.s. I've moved into a new house, and I'm very keen on hearing about any tips that you might have.)

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

58 Replies 58
J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Quincy 

Oh...now I see ! By seeing the true picture with beautiful flooring and floor lamps I can imagine that your house is neat and fashionable! Congrats! 

The only advice I can give you is... follow your heart ! 🙂 

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Hi  @Quincy  So far I am fine, thanks! 🙂 The same to you 🙂

Oh... I see! The chess table flooring is new !

So my great tip is goes like this !!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is precious and I will not charge for this great advice! 🙂

Just buy a porcelain statue of a King and Queen (2 feet high) and put them on some squares of the floor!
It does not have to be a chess King or Queen type!

It can be an statue of Queen Elizabeth and the other one the father of Queen Elizabeth!
It will look very creative, interesting and bold! 🙂

It will attract lots of guests that are fond of the Queen  and also foreigners because of the decoration! 

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Quincy  Super-easy refresher is new throw cushions or cushion covers on a sofa, armchair, or bed.

But there have been many times when I've seen pretty basic listings and thought they could be a lot fresher and more inviting with vintage travel posters that speak to the region.  For my next project I might use posters like these, but there are so many to pick from I'll have to wait and see what's perfect for the space:

Maine travel poster.jpg

maine-main-01_a06d3280-af5d-419e-805b-66fe05151a17.jpg

I would frame them and either group them, or put them in tight spaces like powder rooms and front halls.

Just search for vintage travel posters on the web with the name of the town or place you'd like to highlight and you'll see a ton of choices.

(And just so you know how photogenic Quoddy Head Light is in real life, here's a shot I took in October:)

Unknown-2.jpeg

(PS:  Can you straighten this and then remove the PS?  Every time I post a photo I took with my camera as opposed to my phone, it appears sideways.)

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Great tips! I love those vintage posters @Ann72!

Also, I've straightened the last pic 🙂 

-----

@Quincy  Ah, thank you!!  I believe @Katie was talking to the techies a few weeks ago about this particular issue...

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I'm still chasing this @Ann72 - it's super weird as it does it with pics which I post from my phone (via my laptop)! I suspect it has something to do with the system not being able to read the file properly, but I will let you know once I hear back 🤓 

Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

Hi @Quincy Our listing is full of furniture from estate and antique sales.  Also contains a few pieces I found on the curb.  I recently gave the living room a quick facelift by adding new throw pillows and a coffee table made from vintage yardsticksyardstick live 2.jpgadd photo 2.jpg.

Another new addition is the wine bar I made from the base of a treadle sewing machine base and more yardsticks.  Last month we added a fire pit in the back yard and guests are loving it. 

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That coffee table turned out gorgeous, @Linda-And-Richard0! Nice work, you must be really proud of it 😊

Thanks @Liv,  I have made several of these pieces with intentions of selling them.  So far only one has made it out of the house.  

@Linda-And-Richard0  🙌 🙌 🙌

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

It does look lovely indeed @Linda-And-Richard0! Very creative! 

-----

@Quincy 

Hi!  I agree with many of the comments here.  I personally love interior design and definitely doing it on a budget for Airbnb apartments is an art in itself.  My personal guidelines are:

1) Minimalism.  Uncluttered spaces look cleaner

2) Try a light canvas - white walls, ceiling and if possible light floor ( the floor is the tough one but if you do the other 2 you're good

3) Add a few items that pop - again keep it at the minimal level possible. can be different color chairs at your dinning table for instance!

4) Try to keep symmetry and balance in the spaces - bedroom, living room...

these photos are from 2 apartments in my townhouse...

hope this helps!

025.jpg033.jpgApt 1 living.jpg

BTw, places I buy from 

- Ikea

- H&M home

- Amazon

- Bed Bath and Beyond

- West Elm

- CB2

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Great details @Florence372 and also, this a perfect example of what we were saying @Quincy, about  keeping everything that's large neutral and minimalistic, while giving character and life with smaller items that are big on bright colours which can be easily replaced every now and again.

Right @Cathie19 ?

@Florence372  Wow, j'adore!!!  I can tell you attract guests who love style - wonderful!