Bulk travel size toiletries recommendations?

Gina372
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Bulk travel size toiletries recommendations?

Does anybody have any suggestions on the travel size shampoos and things for the bathroom?  I am currently using Eco Botanics (White Tea & Honey) brand and find the smell kind of off-putting. I'm looking for something more earthy and unisex smelling...something along the lines of cedar/ citrus. Any thoughts? 

13 Replies 13
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Gina372  With all due respect, my suggestion re travel-size containers of things is not to use them at all. Single-use plastics are a serious problem on the planet, very environmentally unsound.

What many hosts do, and what works well, is to have smallish pump bottles of soap, shampoo, etc. and refill them between guests from a large bulk container. I got some nice liquid soap, which I have in the shower and by the sink, from Costco- the one I got is Beauty Soft brand body wash and hand soap, Milk and Honey. It has a mild, pleasant smell. That one might not be available in the US, as I got it at Costco Mexico, but I'm sure you can find something comparable.

Not only is it more economical and environmentally responsible to provide the amenities this way, it will cut down on the garbage you have to haul out when guests leave.

I do this too.  I have pump bottles in the shower from Ikea.  I wrote Shampoo and Conditioner on them and I refill them with bargain stuff between guests.  I also have a couple of other types in large containers, and refill the soap pump bottles between guests.  I have some guest soaps that are wrapped up, and so far nobody has unwrapped and used them (although a guest wrote that I should get those as a private note last year lol).

Nobody's complained about this so far! 

🙂

Beth80
Level 10
State of Roraima, Brazil

@Gina372 

It is more cost effective for you and better for the environment to buy bulk and use refillable dispensers. I have yet to have anyone take my nice dispensers and I've had no complaints about not providing individual sizes. One gallon of liquid soap last me for months with three bathrooms and regular occupancy.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I agree with @Sarah977  and @Beth80  much better for the environment and your pocket to use refillable dispensers

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Gina372  I don't really like the look of the wall dispensers, but I would agree w/other hosts not to use travel size toiletries, they are extremely wasteful and not cost effective. We use high end large sized shampoo/lotion, etc. they usually last for a fairly long time and when they get about half full we top them off.  We get the toiletries at Trader Joe's and/or Marshall's [Body Shop, Bliss, Crabtree & Evelyn] all at a steep discount. We also use refillable dispensers for hand soap. 

how do you get a discount at Trader joe's?

Do guests steal/take the large dispensers?

New host - trying to figure out the best way to dispense. It seems a lot of wall dispensers fall off over time.

Gina372
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Hi, guys!!  I do give my guest an option as some feel "yucky" about not having something that is freshly theirs like in a hotel.  Some don't like to perceive the location as being lived in by someone else before them w/ 1/2 used bottles.  I respect that!  But don't fret, I am currently using the HUGE 32 ounce bottles of Everyone Soap, 3-in-1 (shampoo/body wash/bubble bath).  Just one big, recyclable bottle!  

@Gina372  I agree with you about the half-used bottles, but I never do that- I make sure that the containers are topped up full for each guest. I have some attractive stainless steel pump containers, so no one could see how full they are, anyway. And those containers are also wiped down with antibacterial wipes between each guest- there's nothing left goopy around the tops, they look perfectly clean and fresh and are. Never had a complaint in almost 3 years of hosting. I've found most of my guests travel with their own toiletries, anyway. More guests have left the fresh boxed bar of soap I leave untouched than not.

Hi Gina! I'm right with you, I love offering my guests their own toiletries like the hotels do. It just seems nicer. I actually don't mind Eco Botanics too much, but am currently using Ocean (https://www.wholesalerentalsupplies.com/ocean-toiletries) for my beachfront listing and Nourish (https://www.wholesalerentalsupplies.com/nourish-toiletries) for my other two listings. I think Ocean looks really expensive (though isn't too bad in bulk) and both smell very nice. I've actually saw Nourish in a Miami hotel I stayed at which was my first introduction to the product.

Thank you Charles for the input. During this time, I give them their own bottles.  I usually find they like to take them. I want them to have their own bottles. Their are tiny ones for short stayers. 

Maureen77
Level 1
Atlanta, GA

I like Mrs. Meyer's products for hand wash and body wash...just finishing off travel size shampoo, conditioner and body lotion and will look for really nice quality product in that department. Not hiding them in non descript containers, though, as I want guests to know they are getting high quality and "green" products.....

Kelly1464
Level 2
Austin, TX

since we are more of a high-end rental we also leave samples of lotion/sunscreen in each bathroom. I also emailed them directly and they gave me a discount on bulk pricing (info@trilipiderm.com)

https://trilipiderm.com/collections/bundles/products/trial-box-the-essential-body-regimen?variant=29...

https://trilipiderm.com/collections/all-products-bundles/products/trilipiderm-1oz-trial-size?variant...

Screen Shot 2021-07-08 at 8.41.50 AM.png

Caroline2213
Level 3
Pittsburgh, PA

I am offering high end shampoo, conditioner and body wash from a local store  (412 Apothecare).  The products are organic and just lovely.  But expensive.  No travel sizes but midsize.   I was going to put a well pointed sign in the bathroom regarding the product with an available 10% discount at the boutique---as I have made an arrangement with the owner.   I am trying to figure out how to tell guests "please do not take the product".....in a way that is not demeaning.   HELP