Burglarized by guest and Airbnb making excuses not to payi

Answered!
Christina-and-Jon0
Level 2
Plant City, FL

Burglarized by guest and Airbnb making excuses not to payi

My mother's property was burglarized by her guest.

I have been helping her resolve the issue with airbnb. They took everything. The washer, dryer, massage chairs, vanity mirrors. They even cut the pipes to try and take the cabinets in the bathroom. They even damaged the doors trying to remove furniture. We have filed a claim with airbnb, submitted pictures and receipts for replacement items, sent them a copy of the police report etc.

Each time we send something they say there is a problem or make up something new for us to send. Just when we have sent everything, we get transferred to a new representative and they discover they need something else or that something is missing an obscure detail. We are at our witts end.

Airbnb has already paid for the door damage, so they are clearly not disputing that the burglary happened, but they're being rediculous in getting us reimbursed for the $3k+ of items that were stolen. By the way, we showed up before the guests left with their last load. They ran out the back door and hopped in a truck and drove off with more stuff.

Our neighbors' ring camera caught it!
We have requested twice to be contacted by a supervisor and no luck. 

1 Best Answer
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Christina-and-Jon0 

I am really sorry for what happened to your mum.

Police tried to contact Airbnb to get the names of your guests. But Airbnb is avoiding answering because they don't know the names. Because anyone can use a nickname and register with an email and a phone number.

I've said this a million times and will say it again - hosts should always take a photo of IDs of every one of their guests. And then these things will not happen or if they do happen you will be able to give their names to the police.

Sorry to say but as far as I know, at least here in Croatia, the robbery done by guests is not covered by any insurance company. Simply because you willingly gave the key to the thief. The robbery is covered only if all the windows and doors were closed and fully locked and the thief broke the lock, the door or the window from outside.

View Best Answer in original post

25 Replies 25
Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Christina-and-Jon0 

This is pretty bizarre. Sincerely sorry you were victimised in this way. I hope you have good insurance coverage. 

I'm not really sure how to respond to this, but it really sounds like a matter for the police. Airbnb are not the police, and will likely wash their hands of any further involvement. 

Good luck with all of it. 

We called 911 when we arrived. We HAVE sent a police report to airbnb. We have sent pictures of the damage and receipts for the items we had to replace etc.

As mentioned above each time we feel as though we have satisfied the copious amount of documents airbnb asks for, we get an email from a different representative and we start all over. For some reason each new representative asks for something different. I'll give you an example. The last girl said there was a problem with the police report because the name on it was not the name of the host. When we looked at the report she was reading where it clearly says disbatcher who received the call. So we had to write back and say that name was the person who received the call. Then 3 or 4 days would pass and she would ask for something else. Some of it is actually rediculous. Then after that 4 days would pass and now we are receiving requests from yet a different representative. 

The homeowners insurance has a large deductible of course. This was damage directly caused by the guest. They were caught in the act and even on video. I don't understand your comment about hoping we have good insurance. Why would it not be covered by the amazing host protection insurance? 

@Christina-and-Jon0 one of the issues with Airbnb insurance is that it only pays a depreciated value for an item. Most insurances are new for old but not Airbnb. As a result anything over a few (5?) years old will be deemed worthless.

@Christina-and-Jon0  Sorry this happened, but I suggest you pursue this with your own insurance- like a lot of folks who haven't had the experience themselves, and who don't read hosting forums, you have the erroneous idea that Airbnb will simply reimburse you for damaged or stolen property, which unfortunately is not the case.

The "host guarantee" doesn't really exist. It's like pulling teeth to get them to pay anything at all.

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Catherine-Powell  @Tara-Bunch  Hey, these hosts sound like they need some back up and someone to help assist with this crazy robbery by the Airbnb Guests to her mothers Airbnb property. I wasn't sure who to alert or send this to but you are the top Airbnb leaders that I know want to make our hosting the best it can be and surely you can direct someone to assist these folks. Thanks in advance, Clara

That would be amazing. I am happy to send screenshots of the emails from different airbnb reps, or the documents that we have provided. We are doing everything they ask of us. Last week the police department tried to contact them directly multiple times. The police department representative received an email back from airbnb and it was in Chinese.

I know airbnb is better than this. My mom is over 60 and doesn't really understand the technology part, which is why I am helping her, but it really feels like airbnb is trying to get her to just give up. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Christina-and-Jon0 "Why would it not be covered by the amazing host protection insurance? " Because it is too amazing and that is why it has a most cunning dodge-aftermath part to it on Airbnb's part.

The listing is your 60-year-old mother's, meaning she is the host and she is very limited to handle such a robbery, which is what this is, and the police not Airbnb is who is most prepare to handle a robbery. Obviously these are cold-blooded professionals that used Airbnb to get inside the door, they could have used a number of other ruses.

For the 1,001th time: the day Airbnb really plays their unnecessary 'Host Guarantee' program straight is the day every host will be paying more than 3% host fee - which is the lowest in the industry, by far. I am a fan of the Drop-the-silly-Host Guarantee and keep the low-host-fees club.

They should not advertise something they won't honor.

Also they make way more than 3%. Guest fees are through the roof and I'm sure it's enough to pay the insurance. 

~They should drop it and have the hosts take more responsibility. 

~They make more than 3%? Not from the hosts, and what they make from guests is not 'through the roof'. (12%-15%)

~You are sure is enough to pay for the insurance, I bet it isn't, nor is it worth the bad press.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Christina-and-Jon0   Immediately contact your mother's homeowner insurance company.  Often, they will try to obtain reimbursement from a "third party" insurer to offset the cost of the claim.  Your mother was robbed.  She will be further robbed if you rely upon AirBnB for any restitution.  Get the home owner insurance company involved.  They have bigger "guns".

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Christina-and-Jon0 

I am really sorry for what happened to your mum.

Police tried to contact Airbnb to get the names of your guests. But Airbnb is avoiding answering because they don't know the names. Because anyone can use a nickname and register with an email and a phone number.

I've said this a million times and will say it again - hosts should always take a photo of IDs of every one of their guests. And then these things will not happen or if they do happen you will be able to give their names to the police.

Sorry to say but as far as I know, at least here in Croatia, the robbery done by guests is not covered by any insurance company. Simply because you willingly gave the key to the thief. The robbery is covered only if all the windows and doors were closed and fully locked and the thief broke the lock, the door or the window from outside.

I think you misunderstood a bit. We have ID verify through airbnb and airbnb had verified their ID. The police were not trying to get the name of the guest. Airbnb requested the police contact them directly to give them the full police report. The police were following this request by airbnb. 

@Christina-and-Jon0  I know you are having a hard time wrapping your mind around this- it's understandable, as Airbnb likes to make hosts think they are supported and protected, which is far from the reality.

Branka didn't misunderstand- 

"Verified" by Airbnb means absolutely zero.  Hosts have gotten guests with lengthy criminal records or with active arrrest warrants.  

Submitting everything Airbnb asked for also means zero. They will take up hours and days of your time doing so, then there will be silence on their end.  

I'm not saying to give up, but you need to be aware of the attitude Airbnb takes, which is what other hosts here are trying to alert you to.