Business travellers only - is it possible?

Harold75
Level 10
Montreal, Canada

Business travellers only - is it possible?

I would like to discuss only hosting business travellers.  If there is anything else you feel I am missing in my questions below, feel free to add.  I do want to hear from you!  Any help or advice from you, the greater Airbnb community, is greatly appreciated!

Two questions:
1. Can you offer your room listing as exclusive for business traveller?

2. As regards the requirement for self-check in, can it read as self-checkin only between such and such hours / x hours to x hours ?

12 Replies 12

@Harold75

1) You should not put discriminatory text in your listing or make any suggestion that a certain "type" of traveler is unwelcome. That's an easy way to get kicked off the platform. However, you can use positive verbiage, ("Ideal for Business Travelers") to target your listing toward your desired market. And if you combine a one-guest maximum and a short maximum length of stay, your catchment will probably narrow down to what you're looking for.

2) Yes, you can set a specified check - in time window even with self-check-in. 

I am interested to attract more business travel versus tourists.  

@Anonymous  thanks for the reply and concerns you raise.   Especially as regards to wording. Understood, thanks!   And  I think your suggestion is a good one:   "a one-guest maximum and a short maximum length of stay,"   That is good.  Thank you.  

I was hoping there was a button or feature (that I missed) indicating the listing as ideal for business traveler.  

2)    "a specified check - in time window even with self-check-in. "  NOW that is valuable information. 

Thank you taking the time to reply.  

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Harold75 I wonder how you would define business travel.

@Lisa723   Good question.   I would tend think it is travel on the company tab! 

@Harold75 Your city listing appears to be a private room in a shared home. Unless you're planning to launch an additional Entire Home listing, I wouldn't expect business guests to be your primary market.

Firstly, not a lot of major companies have warmed up to Airbnb for travel accounts. It tends to be incompatible with their H&S requirements for liability purposes, less dependable than hotels, and impossible to book in bulk. But also, when business travelers get to select their own accommodation for reimbursement, they tend to choose options with more privacy and/or luxury, as well as streamlined billing. Much as I enjoy using Airbnb as a tourist, it is not my choice when traveling for work. 

I wonder, though, why the bias against people spending their own money? The budget-conscious independent tourist would seem to be the natural fit for your home. 

Harold75
Level 10
Montreal, Canada

@Anonymous   

Thanks for your observations.    Always interesting to get a different perspective.    You raise many good points about the company traveller, major companies, etc. 

I think the next action for me to take it too craft my listing description differently and carefully.  

Yes. I host the occasional small business person (for example, trade and craft  shows, ).  I offer  secure private parking spot and a private bathroom. This is a big plus over my local hosts.   I  much prefer the small business traveller.  I find them purposeful,  less demanding of my time and energy.  

"The budget-conscious independent tourist would seem to be the natural fit for your home" . 

I attract that sort of clientele , minus the independent part!   I have found that about 40% of this group need constant care and attention.   Exactly what I am trying to avoid 🙂    

Thanks again for your reply,  it really is appreciated. 

@Harold75   I guess that is a downside of hosting exclusively solo guests.

The majority of my visitors are tourist couples, but I think my solos could be evenly divided between people on holiday and those visiting for work or academic reasons. I haven't found one type to be more or less demanding that the other, but the vacationers are having much more fun - and the enthusiasm shows in the reviews. The ones here for work are more high-stress - in summer they're bothered by sunlight and sounds of children playing outside when they're trying to sleep, and I've taken a hit on location from people who hadn't thought to book somewhere closer to their workplace.

These days I prefer quality over quantity of bookings, so while I'm open to any kind of guest I tend to have a little correspondence to make sure my environment matches their wishes before accepting. So far, everyone who came across as pleasant and independent in their communication has turned out to be the same in person. 

@Anonymous  I appreciate your explanation.    Our experiences differ.  I only host solo travellers, not couples as you do.    I  have discovered that about 40% of the budget-minded tourist is in need of my attention and advice.   I spend a lot of time and energy with this type of guest.    The small business traveller is determined and filled with purpose.   I  want to attract more of this kind of traveller.      

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

1. No you can't restrict travellers to business travellers only on the Airbnb platform

2. Do you meet the critieria to be booked for Airbnb at work?

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/1185/how-do-i-search-for-a-place-to-stay-when-i-travel-for-wor...

Harold75
Level 10
Montreal, Canada

@Helen3   

1.  I understand.    I believe a well-crafted listing text can serve this purpose.  Very well-crafted so as not to run afoul of Airbnb

2.  I currently attract small business travellers, but not enough!  Small biz guests appreciated two things 1)  private parking on my property   2) private bathroom (no line-ups!). Many hosts in my district do not offer both as I do. 

@Harold75 It sounds like what you really care about is not the purpose of stay, but the attention guests require. You could try addressing this prominently in your listing summary, eg “best suited for independent and self-sufficient travelers” and in your interaction with guests section eg “host is available in emergency but not for casual conversation or concierge service.”

Harold75
Level 10
Montreal, Canada

@Lisa723  YES!  You hit the nail on the head! I didn’t see this. So  thank you for making this clear.  I will take your suggestion into crafting my listing.  I hope To attract the type of guest who is a best fit for my place. Again, thank you!