Buying furniture for new listing?

Patricia844
Level 2
Culver City, CA

Buying furniture for new listing?

I'll begin renting my two bedroom home through Airbnb. The house is unfurnished.

Any suggestions on where to buy furniture?

Thanks so much! Patricia

27 Replies 27
Jann3
Level 10
Santa Rosa, CA

You are in California, I'd suggest JCPenney. Why? They sell Ashley furniture at a much lower price, and at much faster shipping times than Ashley. Take a look at my listing. http://airbnb.com/rooms/20321286 bbe40f77-c71e-4152-9520-5a1db6296f77.jpg

The entire thing is Ashley/JCPenney and is commanding a $169+/night price most of the time. That is 30% higher than most listings of Studios in my area. 

Also, JCPenney has wonderful furniture warranties on any furniture (including beds) that they sell.

It has saved me when people spill wine and/or tear my couch or scratch my table!

Patricia844
Level 2
Culver City, CA

Thank you! This is super useful. Do you also recommend buying bedsheets, towel and small appliances at JC Penny?

try www.dealgiant.com 

they are in LA - Great deals

Jann3
Level 10
Santa Rosa, CA

Literally EVERYthing we got (including "Haier" refrigerator, "LG" stove, "LG" dishwasher, "LG" microwave, all the furniture ,all the bedding, hangars, luggage racks, rugs, everything was bought at JCPenney! The only things we didn't get at Penney's were smoke and CO detectors and fire extinguishers...and the things like dishwasher detergent, trash bags, etc. (and YES, even the 2" white blinds in the picture and the taupe curtain panels came from JCPenney - off the shelf... not special order!)

To be fair, my husband works at JCPenney...He's a store manager and has been there 33 years so we know how to buy things from them. Most people don't realize JCPenney sells things like Ashley furniture, or LG appliances, etc... 

If you like anything you see in any of my photos, I can give you the "JCPenney part numbers" for them.

PS: I also put a inventory listing on the dresser - with a note that says "If you like what you see, please download the JCPenney app and use the part number in this inventory list to order it. You can have it sent directly to your home."  It lets people know that - rather than just taking MY things, they can order their own. To date - in around 2.5 months of our studio being on the market, we've sold 7 fridges, 4 stoves and 2 microwaves...along with innumerable beds and bedding and towels.

Many of our guests LOVE that we put the inventory listing in the unit... it allows them to order what they like ... and ever-so-subtley lets them know not to take our things. 🙂

Also, I recommend Liz Claiborne sheets. They are 100% cotton, JCPenney private brand (read that as "inexpensive"). easy to clean (ps: 1/2 cup salt gets ALL the blood, sweat, makeup, etc out of them if/when you come upon those type of stains) and they are amazingly comfortable. Also, NEVER EVER wash sheets in HOT. Wash in warm. Hot sets all stains. Warm will either get them out or give you a chance to re-wash afterwards.

Feel free to PM me to get help with pricing, etc. You can order from any JCPenney and still get it shipped there. I'd be happy to share my inventory list w/you so you can see what the studio cost us to furnish and how it worked out... ps: We recoup'd our investment in 2 months!

Thanks again, Jann. I'm heading to JC Penny tomorrow morning.

Mike489
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

hello,  I have two homes in Bonita springs, and cape coral florida, and i  furnished my  3 bedroom homes  mostly from  consignment shops  ,  in  my area, we dend to have a lot of older monied people  who love to  redecorate  thier homes, and  the consignment business if rife here,  were not talking thrift shop quality 

I was able ro buy a  $8000  sofa and living room  set  for $2000   including delivery ,   I also helped a friend furnish  one of his smaller homes down my way  with a few  stops at a few  consignment shops   my fav is POSH PLUM , but im never shy about going to the charity shops either,  just yesturdayi pick up  fabulous bike for $25.00 

as im 1 mile from the beach   so my guests can  cycle 

Thanks, Mike, I appreciate your sharing.

Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Hi @Patricia844 You’re in  Los Angeles so you have some great choices. Out in The valley in Vanuys there is the hotel furniture surplus store. They sell the used liquidation furniture from high end properties like the Ritz, Mondrian, Beverly Hills Hotel and others when the remodel.

They feature both new and used items for all types of hospitality properties including art work and food and beverage service items. We got some amazing items from the Ritz, chairs from a Sofitel and beds from the Peninsula. Quality chairs start at like $100. Craig’s list is also your friend in Los Angeles. I got a custom Calking bed for like $100 and it would retail for over $1500.

There is a section of LA just south of downtown that has back to back furniture stores and I even think they call it decorators row or something like that. There is also the Ashley furniture outlet in downtown too. 

Search for that TV guy Allen Mendelson also. He has lists of furniture places on his website too. 

‘Good luck’ 

‘You know it’s hard out here for a Host’

Bought this ‘Stone International’ Italian marble coffee table thriftingBought this ‘Stone International’ Italian marble coffee table thrifting

This table from ‘Stone International’ was bought in a thrift store for $50. Researching the table online and I couldn’t find one for less than $1900. Huge score, simple to clean and it’s a durable piece. 

Wow! It's beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks so much, Rene. This is fantastic information. Do you happen to know if the store in Vanuys has delivery?

@Patricia844 We ended up renting a uhaul down the street from the store and packing it to the brim with furniture. Hotel surplus workers will load your truck for free. Then we drove it out to Palm Springs to the house.

I remember the sales lady said they don’t deliver but they work with a company they can refer you to for delivery.

The thing I like is they will ‘work with you’ on the price. Those chairs in the pic were $45 dollars with the ottoman included. The love seat was $99. The lowboy credenza under the TV was $30.

It’s much better quality furniture than regular home type furniture. So it takes a beating and won’t tap out. 

What about in Culver City? I think there is a custom sofa store on Washington past Cataragus. It’s on the north side of the street but I forget the name. Also on Venice Blvd near the del taco and Lakeshore learning store, there is an Ashley furniture and other high end furniture stores on that block. 

Good Luck!

’You know it’s hard out here for a Host’

Thanks again, Rene. I haven't checked out the places on Venice near Lakeshore as when I've walked in there before they seemed quite expensive, but maybe I'll try them and see what I can find. I'm not familiar with Ashley furniture, but I've heard it in the Airbnb hosting blogs, so I'll look it up too.

Craig’s list score $100 bedframe. $25 brass lamps from a Ritz Carlton.Craig’s list score $100 bedframe. $25 brass lamps from a Ritz Carlton.

This bed frame I absolutely LOVE! Craig’s list score for $100. The finials on the post are solid cast iron canon balls bigger than my fist. The bed frame needed new C clamps because the old ones kept popping off. I ended up getting a 4 pack of radiator clamps for .99 cents and used those instead of C clamps. Now there is no way for the frame to come apart. The artwork is a mixture of hotel surplus and Martha’s Village thrift store in Indio.