CCTV outside

Ewa299
Level 2
Manchester, United Kingdom

CCTV outside

What are other hosts thoughts on CCTV outside? I just installed camera on front (pointing at doors / lockbox) and one on the garden (its a car park entrance through the garden). I think the garden one is a mistake as if people want to sunbath they might complain

anyway the guest has noticed the cameras  the and complained hard, has threatened police, demanded full refund and stay till the rest of his booking (haha)

thoughts on CCTV? keep both or only front ?

12 Replies 12
Anna9170
Level 10
Lloret de Mar, Spain

@Ewa299  As a guest, it would be absolutely unacceptable for me to know that there is a camera in the garden. This is a vacation spot, not a CIA waiting room. )

Ewa299
Level 2

At the same time how can I protect myself from 100 people party ?(it happened recently)

Anna9170
Level 10
Lloret de Mar, Spain

@Ewa299  
Camera at the front door? or you can get into the house from another way, through the garage at the back, for example..

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Ewa299  Were your cameras disclosed correctly in the listing?   If so, nothing to complain about.  Why not have the cameras pointed 'out' rather than 'in' for the garden area so they would only be showing people entering or exiting from that entrance rather than show what is going on inside the garden?

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Your listing looks quite inviting, @Ewa299 .  I see that you mostly have very positive reviews but unfortunately a cancellation as well.  Couple of suggestions:  You disclose a camera in front but not elsewhere.  That should be updated.  You have lovely pictures without captions and the one showing the camera focussed on the back yard could use a caption if you don't remove it.  There might be other ways to address the back door entrance that address motion rather than pictures if you find you have problems with partying guests.

Ewa299
Level 2

guy that complained dismantled furniture to check if there are cameras and stole towels. This business is joy...

I decided I will update policy mentioning CCTV and outline how it will be used (only in case of incident) and the footage expires after 30 days

thank you for your feedback

Matt682
Level 9
Hednesford, United Kingdom

@Ewa299 UK law permits you to place CCTV that covers private property. If your privately owned property is “public” (any property to which the public has access, by rights or virtue, upon payment or otherwise) then you have to notify the public that it’s there, say who owns / operates it, and provide contact details. That’s why supermarkets / night clubs can have it, they just have a sign at the entrance with that info on.

If you’ve fully disclosed the presence of the CCTV to your guests then you are allowed under UK law to have it in place.

I think, and other hosts may know better than me, Airbnb permits CCTV in public areas, so the garden and common rooms, but not bedrooms and bathrooms. But again, you have to properly describe it on your listing (which coincidentally could be argued to be the alternative to the supermarket sign).

Ewa299
Level 2

Yes It was my mistake I haven't updated listing on time, and it was first guest after I installed, and potentially righly so complained it wasn't in the listing. Now it's all updated.

the town is quite rough, crime is high so i'm going to keep it. if someone is not happy about a little bit of security then feel free to book somewhere else.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Ewa299  Just a heads-up- if this guest reports you to Airbnb for having a undisclosed camera (which it was at the time he booked), Airbnb will suspend your listing pending an investigation. 

I would never book a listing that had a camera focused on a area meant for guest relaxation. Very invasive. Focused on doors or entry gates, fine.

Mike323
Level 9
Middletown, PA

@Ewa299 

It’s a must have feature for responsible off-site management.

You’ll lose some, but gain others. Surveilled parking is a service, make yourself and your guests less of a target.

Go to any hotel, restaurant, store and see how many of them employ video surveillance. Anyone complaining or refusing to patronize those businesses over it?

It’s understandable that some people won’t like it, but it’s your investment, your property, your business, your liability, your relationship to the neighbors or even other of your guests in the case of a multi unit. Who will care more about those things than you?

WAY too many guests book unshared spaces for a “quiet weekend for two” only to drag half a dozen extras in for a beer bash, or worse. And that’s with exterior surveillance disclosed in word and by image for the non-readers!

While you’re at it, consider adding noise level monitoring to your security features.

Ewa299
Level 2

I'm testing the way people respond to cameras now. So far I wont monitor garden though , it feels off and intrusive indeed. 

Funny thing is that airbnb has refused to claim deposit for breaking house rules on that booking with 100 people. I had no cameras, just police report , neighbour report and admission of the guest that he invited "only 20 people". There goes protecting hosts from that crap.

Hotels, restaurants and stores are public places where unrelated people are present. They can't be compared to private accommodation. Hotels have cameras in common, public areas, like a lounge or hallways, but they don't have them in private rooms.

Just as when a host rents multiple rooms to unrelated guests who may share common spaces like a living room or kitchen, a hostel-type situation, a camera in those spaces would be okay and may be a precaution to one guest stealing something another guest may have left in the living room.

But when an entire place has been rented to one group, they should have the right not to be spied upon.

Which is quite different than having front door or back door or gate cameras so a host can keep tabs on whether there are unaccounted for guests coming and going or someone trying to sneak in a pet.