COMPLIANCES IN MAHARASHTRA INDIA

Kishore0
Level 2
Mumbai, India

COMPLIANCES IN MAHARASHTRA INDIA

HOSTS IN INDIA, PLEASE NOTE THAT THERE ARE DIFFERENT COMPLIANCES IN DIFFERENT STATES. MY HOMESTAY IS IN MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA AND FOLLOWING ARE THE COMPLIANCES WHICH MAKES ME 100% LEGAL

FOLLOWING ARE OUR COMPLIANCES

:
1. We are approved by MTDC AND India Tourism, to operate B&B / Homestay
2. Our kitchen for use by our guests is registered with FDA.
3. We are registered with FRRO (for Foreigners)
4. We are registered with the Luxury Tax Department for charging luxury tax on behalf of the Government of Maharashtra)

30 Replies 30

Dear Kishore

You have written an excellent post on the compliance point of view.

Would you happen to know what the service tax implications are - as in how to get statement of service tax that Airbnb pays on our behalf to the goverment. They only give a table of the taxes paid but no details (challan number etc) or their service tax number. Would you be able to shed any light on this matter?

Kunal

Hi Kunal.

I have posted a circular by Delhi Tourism that states there is zero service tax on B&B / Home Stay. Since Service Tax is a Central tax, i guess it will apply to all states. You can find this on the Airbnb India page.

But to qualify for the same, your B&B / HomeStay facility should be approved.

Hope the above is of help

Rishi4
Level 2
Mumbai, India

Hi

Can you share with us what you did to

1. Get approved by MTDC AND India Tourism, to operate B&B / Homestay?
2. Get your kitchen for use by your guests registered with FDA?
3. Get registered with FRRO (for Foreigners)
4. Get registered with the Luxury Tax Department for charging luxury tax on behalf of the Government of Maharashtra)

This would be of immense value to the rest of us hosts in Mumbai.

Thanks

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Just mentioning in @Kishore0, to your post @Rishi4 so he will receive a little notification about your reply. 🙂

[Top Tip: add the @ symbol and select the person from the list who you would like to address, they will then receive an email notification and it will appear in their Community Center Profile (found by hovering over your name in the top right-hand corner of the CC)]

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Lizzie Thanks for the very important tip. I was wondering when @Kishore0 might reply.

@Kishore0 await a reply from you as that would of immense help in being 100% legal.

Hi Lizzie

There is no easy way like the way Rishi wanted. He has to go through the grind

My sugestion is to meet the concerned persons in the offices / departments that are mentioned in my complaince list. The easiest is FDA / FSSAI which is an online process. 

Also go through the concerned websites for culling out information.

You will learn how to market your HomeStay / B&B.

Best wishes, Kishore from Laxmi Niwas HomeStay, Chembur, Mumbai

Hi Rishi

I thought I had replies to this.

My sugestion is to go through the grind. Meet the concerned persons in the offices / departments that are mentioned in my complaince list. The easiest is FDA / FSSAI which is an online process. 

Also go through the concerned websites for culling out information.

You will learn how to market your HomeStay / B&B.

Best wishes, Kishore from Laxmi Niwas HomeStay, Chembur, Mumbai 

@Kishore0, you stay in  Laxmi Niwas? Wow. That's just down the road. I stay in Gulab View, near Basant Cinema (Now known as Cubic Mall). Can I come over to meet you sometime?

I can't locate the compliance list on this thread. Or has it been posted somewhere else?

@kishore 

Is the list these 4 points you mentioned in your email?

1. MTDC AND India Tourism

2. FDA.
3. FRRO (for Foreigners)
4. Luxury Tax Department

I was hoping you might be able to help with

1. Contact information like the names of the officers you spoke to, the websites (URLs) to refer to, Phone numbers.

2. What to say and what to not say.

These tips would be useful for not just me, but all other hosts on Airbnb. Hoping to hear from you.

YES. that is the lsit. I suggest that you do your own home work as every sate has it's onw rules. Further, it is not difficult process. 

And I have a time constraint. 

Trust this closes the matter.

Date: 9th May 2017

This information is for the benefits of other Hosts, I'm putting this information here for their reference.

People to speak to are

+91 22 22894941 - Mr. Swapnil Bhandare

+91 22 22894934 - Mr. Mukesh Kulkarni
I requested for the information on Homestay and they sent me this document

Cick it to download a copy of the PDF

Head Office Address in case you wish to meet them personally
Maharashtra Tourism Development Corporation Ltd.
C.D.O. Hutments, Opp. L.I.C. (Yogakshema) Building, Madame Cama Road,
Mumbai-400 020.

Timing: 10 am to 5:30 pm
Lunch: 1:00 PM to 1:30 PM

Will post more relavant information on compliance as I get it for the benefit of the other Hosts

Just wanted to share some good news today regarding this. I met Mr. Mukesh at MTDC (Mantralaya) to clarify one point in the scheme which I thought affected all of us in Airbnb, which is to have a minimum of 4 to maximum 10 beds to let out.

Since I had just one bedroom and one bed to let on Airbnb, I though I didn't qualify, but he clarified that my entire house has to have min 4 beds for my application to go through. I may or may not let out all the rooms in the entire house for my application to go through. This was a relief to learn. Now I have to get the paperwork done. More on this later.

Good going Rishi. 

The critical element in the entire process (specailly applicable to Mumbai) is the NoC from your society to allow a B&B / Homestay activity.

As a practise, societies do not allow this activity since the other residents treat this a nuisance.

Best wishes

Kishore

@Kishore0, you are absoultely right. Today I was requested to present the case in front of the committee before I continue with Airbnb. So now my apartment is offline. I would be awesome if you can share with us your challenges and how you overcame the same to allow the Society to give you the NOC.

I was going to meet a Lawyer tomorrow, but if you can share some tips, that would be awesome not only for me but for all the other Airbnb hosts here in Mumbai. Looking forward to hearing from you. BTW, I met Mr. Mukesh Kulkarni at Mantralaya and he spoke highly of you. He said you were able to get it done without a problem.

Fundamentally MTDC is very happy to help hosts like us list our apartments on Airbnb because of the taxes collected by Airbnb is way better than the Hotel industry. 🙂

Regards

Rishi