COMPULSORY enhanced cleaning protocol unrealistic for many

Belinda55
Level 10
Bundeena, Australia

COMPULSORY enhanced cleaning protocol unrealistic for many

Dear Airbnb,

Please quit your paternalistic and bullying ‘one size fits all’ policies. There are many locations in the world with little or no community COVID infections, so to coerce hosts (by threatening blocking of calendar and bookings) into complying with a global policy is both unrealistic and unfair.
There are no other booking platforms doing this! Hosts are able to comply with local regulations and requirements and do not need this heavy-handedness from you. I have been a Superhost, with a perfect record on cleanliness, for 7 years straight, and am insulted and offended by your approach. Talk about ‘biting the hand‘ ... we are now planning to prioritise other booking platforms.

237 Replies 237

Charlene189
Level 3
Houston, TX

I have been a happy Super Host with Airbnb (who transferred listings from Homeaway) for several years. As a host, I was shocked at the "mandatory safety practices that everyone must follow" or get shut down by November 20. Surely you do recognize that all properties are not the same, and no one rule could ever fit all situations. At the beginning of the virus in our area, we instituted our own safety rules according to the recommendations of the CDC.

The CDC says risk is minimized when people travel and stay with their own family that they live with. My house rules state that we accept only small families that live together. I no longer have automatic booking so that I can question and decline inquiries which do not fit my house rules. I have declined inquiries from many other groups in these last 5 months. 

The CDC says that risk is minimized when people do not share spaces or bathrooms with outside people. Our cabin is self-contained with no need to mix or congregate with other persons. We have installed electronic locks for self-check in. There is no need for a renter to meet another person to get a key.

The mandatory rules say that "enhanced" cleaning has to be done according to a certain 5-step detailed schedule, with a room-to-room check list. We hire a Spanish-speaking 2nd party cleaning service so there is no way we can guarantee that they will follow all those steps. We have checked the cleaning chemicals they use. We have given them the written cleaning guidelines in the Spanish language, but we are not on-site to check that they follow them. Actually, if our cleaners did agree to all the steps in the booklet, our cleaning bill would be astronomical, which would outweigh any profit from renting at less than $200 per night. So for us, it is unreasonable. 

The CDC says that the virus does not live on surfaces for days. Since we cannot verify the cleaning crew's compliance with the stated cleaning rules, we began to leave at least 2 days between cleaning date and the next occupancy to compensate for that lack of oversight. 

We text renters with that information --when the house was cleaned and how long it is vacant before their occupancy. As a second layer of safety, we also supply the house with hand sanitizer, soap, disinfectant wipes, and disinfectant spray which the renters are instructed to use, on surfaces and frequently touched items. 

We have a very lenient cancellation  policy and renters can cancel for any reason and get refunds up until the very day they are to occupy. 

This type of cleaning regime does not seem to be an issue in our situation. Our place has been booked every available weekend since April. Out of all those 28 renters, I have had only one person ask about cleaning procedures since they had pre-existing conditions. I explained how we clean and how long the house would be vacant before they came and they were satisfied.

I believe that by setting a certain set of rules that "all must follow," you will be shutting down safe businesses who cannot follow your mandatory instructions, or who will not want to lie about their compliance with those rules. Since the hosts and owners did not have a say in this decision, I am appealing to the rule-setters of Airbnb to set up reasonable alternatives for those hosts who cannot follow your one-rule-fits-all mandate. 

This is taken from the new rules regarding the wearing of masks: Similarly, if you're a host, you will not be eligible for a payout if a guest cancels their stay because you did not comply with these practices.

In true Airbnb style, if the guest simply complains that no mask was worn, regardless of the actual situation, will a refund automatically be given?  I mean, we all know the futility of trying to win a dispute with a guest once Airbnb gets involved so are we being set up to lose more money when guests realise that they can get a free stay simply by alleging that the host didn't meet the  mask and distancing rule?

I am waiting for Airbnb to clarify exactly how this will be policed, short of telling me that including a reference to it in my check-in information so that it is on file that I have reminded the guest, and suggesting that I educate the guest, Airbnb has thus far refrained from commenting.

I live remotely from my Airbnb house in the country outside a small town. I depend on a cleaning service (and the same cleaner) for years of 5 star service.  The service refuses  to sign off on following the very detailed protocols for fear of being sued.  Now I'm essentially out of business.  

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Dianne25,

Airbnb has created a lot of confusion with cleaning protocols and cleaning processes.  The new 5-step cleaning process that Airbnb is trying to make mandatory is not the same thing as the Enhanced Cleaning Protocol, which hosts still have the option to opt-in or not:  https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2809/what-is-airbnbs-5step-enhanced-cleaning-process.

It's very likely that the cleaning company is already doing most of the tasks listed in the 5-step process.  It'd be unfortunate for you to go out of business, because of a misunderstanding.  Share the information in the link with your cleaners, and see if they'll reconsider.

"The new 5-step cleaning process that Airbnb is trying to make mandatory is not the same thing as the Enhanced Cleaning Protocol" @Debra300 is there any official statement from Airbnb that says this, because as of yesterday the link on how to implement the "5-step" process links you to the 36 page manual describing the totally bonkers ECP. I've seen absolutely nothing that says these are two different things.

I don't have it in front of me, but as I read it, it says to refer to the manual for further info on how to clean for "best practices", but nowhere does it say you have to adhere to all of the stuff in the manual. 

And maybe I missed it, but the manual appears to have been updated on Sept. 21st, as I recall. I couldn't find anything in it now about washing walls and ceilings, so I think they may have eliminated some of the most absurd stuff.

Honestly, it all just sounded like basic cleaning 101 to me- I've been doing almost all that stuff since I first started hosting, years before COVID.

@Keith352

The basic steps are what we've been doing, but i've been looking and NO WHERE does it say you don't have to adhere to all the so-called best practices. The checklists in the Sept 21 update says you should wash the curtains. It also says you should change gloves after each room. For the kitchen it says wash ALL the dishes the guests could access, this is separate from washing dirty dishes in the checklist, so it's clear you should wash anything the guest may touch. The checklist for every room says you should sanitize blinds. In the common room checklist it says "Using a multi-surface cleaner and a clean microfiber cloth, wipe down walls, baseboards, and table tops." Table tops, sure, WALLS?

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Sarah977,

Thanks for mentioning the updates to the enhanced cleaning protocol:  file:///C:/Users/keepn/Downloads/CleaningHandbook_en%20(1).pdf.  You're correct, all mentioning of washing ceilings has been removed.  

June 2 version of handbook,

" Using a detergent solution and a
microfiber cloth:
• Wipe down the walls and any ceiling
surfaces with visible dirt, allowing
them to air-dry when you’re done

September 21 version of handbook, 

"Use a broom or duster to remove
visible dirt/cobwebs from walls,
screens or ceilings"

The verbiage about cleaning walls has been revised.

June 2 version of the handbook,

" Use a water and detergent solution
to clean:
• Walls
• Baseboards
• Table tops and furniture"

September 21 version of the handbook,

"Using a multi-surface cleaner and a
clean microfiber cloth, wipe down
walls, baseboards, and table tops"

Thankfully, they also update the comments about cleaning the outdoor space/porch.

June 2 version,

"Using a multi-surface cleaner, wipe
down hard surfaces, including:
• Patio walls
• Window screens
• Doors
• Window sills
• The ceiling
• Umbrellas
• Lighting fixtures
• Pool or hot tub surfaces
• All outdoor furniture including
tables, chairs, patio bars,
shelves, outdoor fridges and
barbecues/grills. "

September 21 version,

" Use a broom or duster to remove
visible dirt/cobwebs from walls,
screens or ceilings"

"Using a multi-surface cleaner, wipe
down hard surfaces, including light
fixtures, outdoor furniture, shelves,
or outdoor cooking areas (shelves,
barbecues/grills)"

Keith, did you go through the total manual and did they mention anything about blocking dates on the calendar - before and after a reservation?  I do not have a problem agreeing to this new 5 step protocol as we are doing it now but I do not want to shoot myself in the foot and accidently agree to something that will end up hurting us by Airbnb blocking dates on my calendar which is what happens by "opting in" to the Enhanced Cleaning Protocol.  @Keith352

I've printed out and read the entire manual, as has my wife. The manual says nothing about blocking dates, but it does say you should wait 24 hours before entering the unit to clean, and at least 3 hours if that's not possible. 

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Keith352 @Sarah977 @Debra300 I just wanted to highlight a response I posted on the main Host Update thread regarding the confusion over the ECP vs the 5 step process:

Starting the week of October 12th all hosts and guests on the platform will be prompted to attest to health and safety guidelines that include wearing a mask and practicing social distancing when interacting with each other. In addition, hosts and their hosting team and cleaning partners must commit to the five-step enhanced cleaning process. As a host, you are required to do three things under Airbnb’s health and safety mandate: 

Airbnb originally developed the Enhanced Cleaning Protocol in June 2020 as a comprehensive program that was optional for hosts to join. Since then, we've heard from hosts who wanted a more accessible way to help provide a safer travel experience, so we are requiring hosts to commit to a streamlined 5-step enhanced cleaning process.  

We will continue to provide all of the materials we created for the Enhanced Cleaning Protocol in June 2020 (e.g. handbook, checklist, articles) as a set of supplementary best practices for hosts to tailor to their listing.

@Jennifer715 I also replied to another host who had a similar question around the buffer here, if you need further info.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Katie Suppose I wear a mask when venturing out of my room to a place where I might encounter a guest.... And suppose the guest does the same....... - The guest might still encounter my 3 day a week lodger, or my 2 day a week lodger on the way to the bathroom.... This lodger will not be wearing a mask; they are NOT mandated to, as they are neither host nor Airbnb guest! - And I can not tell them to mask up!

Jennifer715
Level 3
Lafayette, CA

Forgive me as I am late to the party and this has already probably been answered on another thread, but if we agree to this mandate, does it also include the automatic blocking of dates before and after each reservation like the previous "opt in opt out" protocol ?  I'd say at least 70% of our bookings are for one night so if this is the case, for a one night rental we would have to give up an additional4 days of profit, right?  Can someone please confirm if this is the case or is this new mandate of Nov. 20, 2020 just to say we are adhering to the 5 step cleaning protocol but they will NOT block any days prior or after booking.  Thanks so much!

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Jennifer715,

Here is the link to the 5-step cleaning process:  https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2809/what-is-airbnbs-5step-enhanced-cleaning-process.  I don't see anything mentioned about calendars.