COMPULSORY enhanced cleaning protocol unrealistic for many

Belinda55
Level 10
Bundeena, Australia

COMPULSORY enhanced cleaning protocol unrealistic for many

Dear Airbnb,

Please quit your paternalistic and bullying ‘one size fits all’ policies. There are many locations in the world with little or no community COVID infections, so to coerce hosts (by threatening blocking of calendar and bookings) into complying with a global policy is both unrealistic and unfair.
There are no other booking platforms doing this! Hosts are able to comply with local regulations and requirements and do not need this heavy-handedness from you. I have been a Superhost, with a perfect record on cleanliness, for 7 years straight, and am insulted and offended by your approach. Talk about ‘biting the hand‘ ... we are now planning to prioritise other booking platforms.

237 Replies 237

@Helen427  Yes, very blessed! Until bushfire season starts - as I live in the middle of a national park that can be nail-biting time for us and guests ...

@Helen we must go out n about, we carry on but with wearing multiple layers, mitts, toques, boots and scarves. Today it snowed so it starts...winter has arrived! @Emilia42 it’s not funny lol we are freezing for like 6 months! @Helen we do have fresh air circulating all the time, the furnace gas furnace draws it in and blows it out, and my furnace will be working steady now for a good 6 months! 

Daniel1727
Level 2
Vantaa, Finland

I totally agree, 

In Finland it is normal for guests to clean summer cottages themselves, we immediately moved to that strategy in the spring. We provided a detailed cleaning guide, updated our listing and provided all the cleaning materials. 

For us this is better because,

1. Reduced risk of transmission to from us.

2. Reduced costs to us, airbnb bookings are down 50% this year.

3. Reduced risk of transmission between guests (guest bring their own bedding [cleaning does not kill viruses] and we have time between bookings  where the cottage is empty as well)

This has hurt us already on AirBnB, we lost our superhost status because our cleanliness score went down, i can tolerate this though until this is over. We will get it back later down the road.

In this situation, now on Airbnb, our costs go up, our bookings are down, it makes no sense for us to use this platform anymore.

In this world of staycations, domestic free to use platforms have been far more effective for us so we will now focus on that. Prices will be set high on AirBnB so that we can cover these extra costs/inconveniences. Or i will just block the calendar. I have not decided which yet. In any case airbnb will be getting less money out of us for sure.

In our solution, guests can choose what they are comfortable with. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

Michael5310
Level 2
Cashmere, WA

As US based Superhosts, we have always known of Airbnb's liberal stance, but have accepted their stance with tolerance, knowing that we don't need to agree with someone to still enjoy working together.  Unfortunately, the new demand to submit to the liberal agenda, regardless of personal beliefs, brings a dark cloud over our relationship. We do see a silver lining though, as we are forced to investigate other short-term rental platforms. Though Airbnb may scare a few into complying, I sincerely hope that like us, many thousands of hosts will not surrender to this demand.  As we refuse to comply, they will either wake up or loose out. 

My husband and I will not comply with this new Airbnb one-size-fits-all obligatory policy. We can see how this can become a slippery slope of coercive policies. What's next? we wonder...  Submit fingerprints? Background checks? 

I don’t think it has anything to do with politics. Airbnb wants to do what Amazon, Uber and other major players in the gig economy have done. They want to force unrealistic defined processes on their contractors and compensate them as little as possible. It’s great for them! We’re the property owners that invested substantial funds into our businesses, we are the ones liable with our own insurance policies, and we do all the work.  End goal is to take all control from hosts and, increasingly, take our profits. I’m sure of it. I called support because their cleaning partner Handy, which they’re probably going to buy, said that they need until 4:45 to finish the cleaning when guests arrive at 3. Airbnb’s recommendation was that I start to block off another day for each cleaning, which would cost me 25% of my revenue.

The greed of a company going public has no limits. Airbnb has to increase stock price every quarter, and they’re clearly going to continue to take away control and increase their cut of profits.

@Steven973 You've hit the nail on the head with regard to control.  We have a business and sell on AMZ as well as other platforms.  Their rules, metric measures, etc. are out of control.  At any given moment they can shut you down for any reason and hold on to hundreds of thousands of dollars that may be owed to you, as well as your inventory for months or even permanently in some cases (just read an article where they destroyed over a million dollars worth of inventory from someone for counterfeit claims, who had proof that it was purchased legitimately).  When I first saw this, my first thought was what we've endured on Amazon over the years.  It only gets worse from here.  

Erinn3
Level 2
Port Aransas, TX

I agree, you are not in the business of health, you are a booking site. These are our homes and we are professionals. We don't need big brother airbnb telling us how to operate. 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Katie 

It's now repeatedly stuck in rolling over after I clicked on later & stuffed up my access to my calendar via my phone so  I'm unable to access my listing that way.

The same annoying issues went on for months before IT Team fixed up the add a photo ID additional ID on profiles.

Would you please ensure this IT Glitch on ABB end is fixed immediately bc as you know New Zealand & other parts of the world don't have community spread of CoronaVirus - just viruses in computer systems.

Have cleared cache etc so puzzled why this has happened & still is happening.

But you're lucky - you have Jacinda! 😊

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Helen427, sorry to hear you have this issue. How are you accessing the site (device, OS version, browser etc)?

Let me know and I can report back 😊

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Hello @Katie 

it's when  I'm on my mobile, Microsoft, that I can't access my Listing.

I've contacted Customer Services who suggested getting in touch with Microsoft.

Alas as we know from earlier posts / topics here in CC & online, there's been Privacy breaches & unlawful access of Data across the globe.

Please see my other posts re this.

There's also been ongoing issues with Text Alerts coming through, which has been an ongoing issue since Covid19 & the TruDialogue  SMS/ Text Data breach.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Belinda55 

I think covid19 is going to kill the STR business, for a host to absorb the cost  of this laborious additional cleaning will be the final nail in the coffin, have Airbnb reduced their margin to help hosts cover the cost, extremely unlikely.

Belgium had 20,000 cases in one day and are thinking of declaring a national emergency, Poland had 10,000 cases in one day and the sound on ambulances is omnipresent.

I know this won't be popular but should Airbnb et al not go into suspension of activities, because the very people that would travel under such circumstances are the very people one should avoid, at 61 years of age I'm in one of the vulnerable categories.

I am 64 and my hubby 71, and we closed our STR for 6 months this year. But latest COVID new infections for Aus was 6, mostly returned travelers in compulsory quarantine. This tough stance re travel and even closing state borders and implementing local lockdowns (eg Melbourne) has allowed most business in Australia to continue and local STR is now booming. This is why it’s so inappropriate for Airbnb to try and force a global policy. We know that things can change fast and great vigilance is needed, and that is why Covid management is best implemented by local govt. I am sorry for Airbnb that their national government  can’t be trusted with this job, but they shouldn’t be trying to control the whole world..
@Cormac0 

@Belinda55 

You sure don't look 64 if your photo is anything to go by