COMPULSORY enhanced cleaning protocol unrealistic for many

Belinda55
Level 10
Bundeena, Australia

COMPULSORY enhanced cleaning protocol unrealistic for many

Dear Airbnb,

Please quit your paternalistic and bullying ‘one size fits all’ policies. There are many locations in the world with little or no community COVID infections, so to coerce hosts (by threatening blocking of calendar and bookings) into complying with a global policy is both unrealistic and unfair.
There are no other booking platforms doing this! Hosts are able to comply with local regulations and requirements and do not need this heavy-handedness from you. I have been a Superhost, with a perfect record on cleanliness, for 7 years straight, and am insulted and offended by your approach. Talk about ‘biting the hand‘ ... we are now planning to prioritise other booking platforms.

237 Replies 237
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Brian  CEO of Airbnb would you please respond to your Hosts/ Guests concerns about these proposed protocols?

Thanks in advance

Btw, why has the date of 20 November 2020 been chosen?

This proposed protocol is as silly as Professor Neil Ferguson, Imperial College, London, saying people will die if they gather with families and others on a couple of days at Christmas 🎅.

@Debra48

@Cassandra191 @Fred13 @Cave0 @Katie1000 @Belinda55 @Aidan65 @Peter818

@Steven973and ALL those who have contributed to and reading this topic and members of the wider ABB Community worldwide.

Brent31
Level 3
Ucluelet, Canada

Yes, what is the significance of this date, November 20? How does Airbnb know in advance there will still be a “pandemic” then? Where is the wording that speaks of an end to these measures? Where is the data and the science to justify these measures in the first place? Airbnb should not be telling me how to run my business or be asking me to compromise my health, without just cause. I understand that Airbnb may be motivated by legal issues, however, that is not good enough reason to justify the perpetuation of this dangerous agenda. I will risk losing my business before contributing in any way to the perpetuation of this dangerous agenda. And I do not support any business who goes along with it, whether by agreement or coercion. If we go along with any of these measures just because it’s “easier”,  we give away our autonomy.

**[Off-topic content removed in line with - Community Center Guidelines

Off-topic content removed,  Airbnb??? A few days ago, I read the full-text @Brent31 shared here. By removing it you are censoring information that is pertinent to this conversation and showing your inflexibility and unwillingness to discuss this topic with hosts. You should at least consider answering the questions asked by Brent31.

Jill958
Level 2
White Beach, Australia

I'm so glad I found this thread and now realise there are a lot of people out there with the opinionthat it's ridiculous of Airbnb to impose USA CDC guidelines on the whole world without taking into account local differences. Here in Tasmania, we have solid guidelines from the government which we follow and like other states, I feel totally comfortable with the level of cleaning requirements they amke. We have never had to wear masks and not about to start unless mandated by my local or federal government.

And as we are a full B&B, what am I meant to do when I have other guest who booked on a different platform - ask them all to wear masks because I have an Airbnb guest present!? And all my signage (courtesy of Tasmanian Government) tells people to stay 1.5 apart...am I meant to tell them to suddnely stay 2m apart when an airbnb guest is staying? Sorry I know that's being pedantic but really it's not been thought through by this American company.

I have tried to talk to them and they just say, you signed up and agree to our terms. It will be interesting to see how many listings are delisted soon! I posted about this on a local airbnb facebook page and was pretty much vilified for having tis opinion. Plenty of people seem to have signed up for it without a problem as they are paranoid about the dreaded mainlanders bringing it in!

In my Italian text, it is written "host" and "guest". So there is no obligation for anyone who is not part of this platform. It's the same for you? So when interacting with Airbnb guests, you both need to use the mask. I think if you both agree you can avoid to use it.

In any case, it seems to me that Airbnb's response makes sense: you signed up and agree to its terme. Or not? 

If I understand you are saying that i could have the scenario where I have me and the guest wearing a mask but another guest at the same (large socially distanced table)not wearing a mask. The guest then goes out for coffee, lunch dinner, sightseeing with no mask buthas to wear one in communal areas of the house which is not required by our state or federal law.  . It's just not appropriate that they have a global rule. Yes I signed up to airbnb but I'm not signing up to this rule I had hoped they would realise that it's impracticable to have one global rule based on the situation in the USA. It would be easy for them to require everyone to comply with local laws and requirements and much simpler for all but they just keep reiterating that we signed up to the platform so it's too bad!

@Jill958 , no doubt that it's weird or absurd. I repeat that if you both agree you can avoid to use the mask. What do you think? I think in your particular case you will have to try more than others to find such an agreement but I can give you a thousand examples with weak guests who prefer you to wear it. I think they wouldn't come to you since there are so many other guests, but they can stay very far away from them while they necessarily have to talk and deal with you. If such guests come to you, you must respect them and wear a mask. That's all, it's education. 

Instead of complaining and finding weird situations, try to find a solution and ask yourself why someone would want you to wear a mask...

You're absolutely right. It isn't really such a big problem as most of my bookings come from elsewhere. It just really annoys me that a company like this doesn't listen or understand the implications of such a policy. I will choose to move on with or without airbnb! it is their loss not mine really. Thanks for your comments!

It seems to me that you does not listen and understand. However, we cannot exclude changes and precisely because the company is big ("like this") it looks at everything from a different point of view than ours and cannot change immediately. If defending weak people is such a big problem for you, that's your business.Thanks for your answers @Jill958

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Francesco1366  It was YOU who was not listening to Jill958! - She lives in Tasmania, where there are NO active cases of Covid 19 and NO ONE wears masks ever! So of course it would be crazy & cause problems if she insisted on it in her Airbnb!

You don't listen Airbnb because It oblige to use the mask for some precise reasons. And we are on Airbnb.  Then, you don't listen milions of potential guests that feel more safe if both use mask. This argument has been discussed a lot, above I wrote a little. It seems useless to  write here more, remembering the last discussion with you, you are only here to provoke. You have not find the correct argument, this situation is completely different compared to what we discussed in that other post. I advise you to answer there. @Helen350 

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Francesco1366 MY argument is COMPLETELY IN AGREEMENT with everybody on this thread except you!

**[Inappropriate comment removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

I think different but me too I'm in agreement with this post. 

**[Inappropriate comment removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Helen350

Please, can we keep this conversation respectful going forward. The Community Centre consists of wonderful people from all over the world where English is perhaps not their first language. People sometimes visit different communities for various reasons such as not having a community in their respective languages. 

Having said the above,  they at least take some effort to try and get involved in some topics by asking for help, sharing tips and experiences. 

I suggest that if you are in disagreement with each other about a certain topic, it's always best not to escalate any further into name-calling. Sometimes it's best just to cut short whatever the discussion is about, take a deep breath @Francesco1366 @Helen350 and perhaps move on to a different topic. 

I trust that you both will be able to adhere to the advice above and that I will not need to jump in again. 

Feel free to reach out to me via private message if you have any questions about this. 

Quincy

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

The user attacked me personally here and in another post. I'm sorry for this public message but It seems to me that after cancellation of part of my comment some users could think I offended someone. It was clearly not my intention, I wanted only to point out that the user was haunting me because it was not the first time she offended me.

I fully accept your moderation and I agree. I'm sorry, thank you very much @Quincy