COMPULSORY enhanced cleaning protocol unrealistic for many

Belinda55
Level 10
Bundeena, Australia

COMPULSORY enhanced cleaning protocol unrealistic for many

Dear Airbnb,

Please quit your paternalistic and bullying ‘one size fits all’ policies. There are many locations in the world with little or no community COVID infections, so to coerce hosts (by threatening blocking of calendar and bookings) into complying with a global policy is both unrealistic and unfair.
There are no other booking platforms doing this! Hosts are able to comply with local regulations and requirements and do not need this heavy-handedness from you. I have been a Superhost, with a perfect record on cleanliness, for 7 years straight, and am insulted and offended by your approach. Talk about ‘biting the hand‘ ... we are now planning to prioritise other booking platforms.

237 Replies 237

Hi Stephanie

Thanks for the update on cleaning protocol.

As a new host it is good to have some clarity on what is expected.

In Scotland we are seeing an increase in cases of COVID19.  I personally continue to follow the original guidance but I understand that professional cleaners may welcome some relaxing of requirements.

Do you plan to email hosts about this update to the cleaning protocol? Because folks won’t know it’s been changed unless they are following this specific thread…

@Carmen1596 @Deb75 @Melodie-And-John0 @--Ruth-and-Anthony0 @GentleHart0 @Katie1000 @Megan725 @Ken-And-Desrae0 @Dale-And-Mary0 @Terri261 @Jennie131 @Anne9699 @Scott424 @Fred13 @William428 @Maxine93 @Kathy627 @Aidan65 @Darcy72 @Margy6 @Patricia76 @Brent31 @Ronda8 @Silvia1838 @Paul6854 @Michael5310 @Anna9170 @Frank1217 @Max144 @Jamie292 @Jacque20 @Steve-and-Debi0 @Steve-and171 @Christine1805 @Peter818 @Dale711 @Susan17 @Joanna372 @Lachlan15 @Steve_Claire0 @Emily1283 @Connie148 @Ian28144 @Keith352 @Chris773 @Branson1 @Helen350 @Huma0 @Debra300 @Mary996 @Heather133 @Alon1 @Alexandra316 @Emiel1 @Emilia42 @Jennifer1773 @Essaouira-Beachlife-Moro0 @Miloud0 @Nathalie-Et-Gilles0 @Nathalie-and-Luc0 @Alice595  and everyone-else

You may or may not have seen @Stephanie and @Airbnb  update re Enhanced Cleaning.

I hope you are all doing well and wherever you are in the world have a great day from a crisp sunny morning with blue skies in Auckland, New Zealand where it's winter and we are loving the great outdoors and natural ventilation, to keep our lungs healthy.

Remember to eat your Vitamin C - It's Persimmon, Kiwi fruit and Grapefruit season here at the moment so loving it.

All the best

Central To All Home and Location

Salute @Helen427 

Thank you so much, for you too 

Thanks, 

Miloud

@Stephanie  Hi Stephanie, thanks for your reply stating the recent changes to mandated mask wearing and intense cleaning protocols that Airbnb have  updated. However, if  it’s not reflected in the wording on the agreement that Airbnb are asking hosts to sign in order to unblock calendars, then I will refrain from agreeing, otherwise it’s contradictory. If Airbnb are willing to update and include this new update you may find it’s clearer and more chance of getting some amazing hosts back. Thanks Emma 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Thanks @Stephanie @Gillian19 @Belinda55 @Jeannet121 @Emma2259 and others who raised this matter in the first place and @Stephanie for the updates

@Ria16 @Steve-and-Sue2 

@Helen427 Thankyou too x 

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

Thanks @Helen427  and @Stephanie @ I deleted my listing with Air but good to hear this .

Carmen1596
Level 4
Auckland, New Zealand

Finally, some common sense!  I raised this issue with airbnb every few weeks, asking to be able to speak to a human about it, but I only ever got the standard reply.  No-one had the courtesy to have a conversation with me.  This was a pathetic way to treat its hosts - without hosts, they would have no business.  I too am in two minds about whether I now re-activate my account, or whether I'll move to another platform.  As our borders are still closed, there aren't exactly heaps of travellers on the way!

@Carmen1596 Your expectations of Customer Support are way too high. They are poorly trained folks presumably on a minimum wage who struggle to apply the rules that exist properly. To engage them in the various stupidities of how Airbnb operate is futile.

The HAB would have been a good idea if they had actually concentrated on properly collating host's needs but sadly they have just become a part of the Airbnb PR exercise that promises a lot and delivers, so far, precisely nothing.

Re other platforms-  Are they really any better?

Yes Mike-And-Jane0 , I had very low expectations as to the service I would get, but it wasn't a great hardship to send the same "complaint" every few weeks and insist on the issue being escalated, just to see if they were ever actually deal with the issue.  hopefully just the numbers of people constantly complaining has caused them to re-look at the protocol.  

I think most of the similar platforms suffer from similar issues, and I really think that they are all way too expensive for the "service" provided.  If you are a good host, then the "traveller insurance" is a waste of money.  Maybe we should develop an alternative, as an owner's co-op, that charges lower fees and looks after owner's interests as well as renters interests.  I mean, how rich are the ABB founders, and what have they actually risked to gain that wealth?

Jeannet121
Level 3
Cambridge, United Kingdom

Thanks  @Helen427  and @Stephanie for drawing my attention to the changes in cleaning protocol. I hadn't been aware of it. The changes are, of course, to be welcomed.

I just wanted to update you on my experience of moving to other platforms, in case that is reassuring to anyone.

I went through a period of extreme stress (Airbnb was my main source of income which had collapsed overnight!) and worked hard (and paid!) to advertise on four other platforms. I expect I can't mention them here, but other than one which is similar to Airbnb (without the cleaning protocol!), they were more mainstream room rental platforms, e.g. through the university here, or national ones with local search options.

I dropped my prices by £100 per month per room to be competitive in this different rental market (I had already previously dropped my prices by the same amount, at the start of the pandemic, to catch whoever was still out there looking for rooms, so am now getting around £200 per room less than I was through Airbnb prior to the pandemic).

The one similar to Airbnb produced some immediate enquiries, but from language students wanting a more integrated experience where they could be part of a family to learn English, which is not what I offer. With the other three there was a delay in people coming through, which initially worried me. It seems, though, that on those platforms people don't book as far in advance as they do on Airbnb. Many of the people looking were available from 'now'. So once I got closer to the time my rooms would be becoming empty, I got bookings through. I have been fully booked again on all three rooms from early May and am until end of September, with one person intending to extend until December. 

I hope this reassures all of you who are thinking about moving away from Airbnb - there is life after, albeit at lower rates of income and without the ease of payment of going through Airbnb and their support (which I've always found very good) and insurance cover!  🙂 

I may come back to Airbnb at some point (I will have a closer look at what it actually says about the cleaning protocol on the site now) but the tricky thing then is having people in the house who have booked through different platforms, at a different rates, and being offered different amenities (e.g. I offer Airbnb guests unlimited teas, coffees, cereals, jams, soap powder, laundry facilities, etc, etc. - with regular lodgers they buy their own stuff and do their own laundry, etc.).

For a simple life, I may just stick with what I've got at the moment, which feels secure and within my control, and not likely to be upset again by another change of policy on the part of Airbnb. 

Wishing you all my very best in this strange new world we find ourselves in!  xx

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Will Airbnb be reinstating all those Listings that were removed who didn't agree or sign up with the Enhanced Cleaning Protocol before November 2020?

We appear to have lost a few who used to be great contributors here in CC and in general as Hosts and Guests to this issue which is a real shame.

@Brian @Catherine-Powell 

@Belinda55@Emma2259 @Carmen1596 @Jeannet121 and every-one else