COVID Health Policy

Louise898
Level 1
Nannup, Australia

COVID Health Policy

Dear Airbnb,

Please review your most recent COVID Health policy, it does not reflect the current status in our State at all.

In Western Australia we have not had a community transmission of COVID for 6 months, and we have border closures in place. Obviously, should community transmission occur we would increase our health protocols, in line with State requirements.

Greeting guests wearing a mask would be alarminst for them. Sometimes it is necessary to re-enter a room that has been sanitized prior to guests arriving.

You have made the policy document so that we have to sign it, trying to communicate with current guests is difficult with the pop-up screen constantly there waiting for a signature.

A global policy is obviously not working for hosts, based on the feedback on this site.

If this policy is not reviewed before November 20 then we will be looking at alternative platforms for hosting.

Please listen to the concerns of hosts.

59 Replies 59
Lynette57
Level 10
Gladstone, Australia

I totally agree with @Louise898 . We have had no Covid in our area ever and whats more wearing a mask is not on the agenda  in our state.  I ticked all the boxes but as I have lock box checkin , none of their rules will apply. Cleaning is as usual Because I always clean that way in normal times. As most good hosts do.

Being aware that AB&B would have no bloody idea if it was happening or not.

Belinda55
Level 10
Bundeena, Australia

Totally agree @Louise898 .

See the discussion here that I started a couple of days ago ... https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/COMPULSORY-enhanced-cleaning-protocol-unrealistic-for-ma...

This heavy handedness is totally inappropriate in many locations.

Consider new daily Covid cases:

Australia 12, NZ 3

(with strict controls on interstate and OS travel, quarantine requirements etc)

US 69,000

UK 15,000

France 25,000

Clearly the risk is very different in different locations.

William428
Level 3
Manger, Norway

It’s also way overboard for our secluded woodland cottage here in Norway.  Masks are currently only mandatory on aircraft and, for a time, public transport at peak times in Oslo. It would be very unnatural to meet guests (at this time of year mainly locals) in a mask. We keep things clean, and the property is “quarantined” for at least 24hrs between guests. This is a rule which is deemed satisfactory for all meeting locales, churches etc in this part of the world.  

Martin3573
Level 2
Chichester, United Kingdom

How do airbnb prove you follow it anyway 

Not being funny but they expect a full time live in host to spend hours cleaning?

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Louise898, hello from the Great Southern! I completely agree with you. I'm definitely no conspiracy theorist anti-masker, and I would absolutely wear a mask if necessary. However, we are more or less COVID-free in Western Australia (the only new cases are from exempted overseas arrivals, all of whom are under strict quarantine) with zero community transmission and hard borders in place. Thanks to our state government's excellent public health management, NO-ONE is having to wear a mask here. Therefore, it would feel somewhat ridiculous to greet my guests wearing a mask. Guests are also expected to wear masks . Plus, my listing is a room in my house - am I expected to wear a mask 24/7 in my home?

@Martin3573, you're right,  Airbnb can't really prove anything , but guests are used as the police. For example, are they going to ask guests after the stay if the host wore a mask? If so, hosts and guests are going to have to either collude with each to lie on the review, or hosts may risk being delisted.

Marg11
Level 10
Warwick, Australia

Louise @Louise898 

Hi,  Australians, New Zealanders and others with no community transmission of Covid 19.

Are you really going to wear face masks, social distance at 2 metres, change gloves between cleaning and sanitising, remove all food if you offer self-service breakfast, wash walls and soft furnishings, etc? Apart from the obvious which guests can be asked to report on how is Airbnb going to control this other than trust hosts? However, if honest many hosts will not agree and will be discarded. Other hosts, desperate to maintain bookings for their income will agree and ignore except what guest might report on.

Airbnb needs to allow hosts to follow their local laws regarding Covid-19 safety. 

Shan12
Level 2
Western Australia, Australia

@Marg11 I agree. I am also based in Western Australia and  am not going to wear a mask or follow this cleaning protocol unless I am advised to do so by our own government.

Realistically, if it comes to that, I will give up hosting until I feel that it is safe to start again.

In the mean time, I will not agree to the policy and see what happens. I'm fine with my guests being made aware that I'm not adhering to this policy and make up their own minds about booking our place. 

Patricia1008
Level 5
St Augustine, FL

Not on your life would I consider hosting in the current climate of Covid

Patricia1008
Level 5
St Augustine, FL

What are guests doing to prevent the spread of Covid ?

Patricia1008
Level 5
St Augustine, FL

Gone with The wind Covid are my Super host status and guests with nasty personal hygiene habits...what's my life, health and safety worth...far more than the income I gleaned from renting rooms in MY home FOR Airbnb's profit and gain...

Emma2259
Level 5
Denmark, Australia

I totally agree with comments here. 

I have been hosting on the Airbnb platform for a couple of years, and have received consistently good reviews and a superhost status. I am disappointed to read the recent email indicating certain requirements to continue hosting. I live and host in WA, where the borders interstate and internationally are monitored or closed and we are only getting WA residents as guests. There is no corona virus here. To ask me to wear a mask to greet my guests and use chemicals in my accommodation with an ultimatum at foot is quite unprofessional, upsetting, unfair and ridiculous. . I am supporting the earth by not using chemicals, and my accommodation is spotless and extremely clean. If there was a risk to my guests’ health, then I would take appropriate action,  however this is not the case and I feel airbnb would do better to ask their hosts to consider their circumstances and act accordingly, rather than this abrasive, threatening,  blanket approach. 

I would like and prefer to continue using the Airbnb platform as I have found it to be professional and well done, and a great platform for both guests and hosts. However, I feel my business would continue successfully without Airbnb with many other platforms, returning guests, recommendations, website, tourist info and other internet options available. 

I guess the question is, are Airbnb willing to loose good hosts that are a financial benefit to them over this new unnecessary requirement. 

Shan12
Level 2
Western Australia, Australia

@Louise898 , @Emma2259 , @Marg11 , I totally agree with you all. With the borders into Western Australia closed and no community spread of Covid19 for months, this policy exceeds, by far, any infection control management recommended by our government or expected by our guests.

It is absolutely ridiculous to expect us to sign up to a global policy and threaten  that we may be unable to accept bookings if we fail to do so.  

I'm happy for my guests to be made aware that I have not signed up to this policy and I'm pretty sure that this would not deter them from booking. 

Should the situation in Western Australia worsen, it is very likely that the intra-state borders, which were in place earlier this  year, would be reinstated.  As my property is in the South West and 99% of guests come from Perth, this would result in all bookings being cancelled by the guest as they would be unable to travel. So, I find it very difficult to imagine a time when the measures outlined in the policy would be necessary.

Marg11
Level 10
Warwick, Australia

@Shan12 , @Louise898 , @Emma2259 , @Patricia1008 , @Kath9 et al,

United we stand although we may be excluded from Airbnb.

Of course, a send wave may force our government to mandate masks, 2m distancing and cleaning as though every guest is infected or quarantining then we will close as we do not want to be infected due to age and his health. 

Emma2259
Level 5
Denmark, Australia

@Louise898 @Marg11 @Shan12 @Patricia1008 @Kath9 I apologise for any hosts that I've missed in this thread, I tried to include everyone, but it wouldn't allow me to do so.  The purpose of this message is to share a response from Airbnb to a mail I sent similar to my previous comment. It seems there is no penalty, blocking, removing from site, but those that adhere to the new cleaning protocol will be highlighted in guests' searches. I have further asked for clarification on any penalties, but it seems to me that there are none.  Your views are appreciated!  I have also asked why they have made it seem like an ultimatum. I am awaiting their response on the two latter questions and in the meantime I hope by sharing the below response, it is helpful to you all and clarifies somewhat! 🙂

Hi Emma,

This is Hanna one of the case manager here in Airbnb, I hope that this message finds you well. First of all, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing Airbnb.

We know that cleanliness is more important to guests than ever—and now you can show them it’s important to you too. We’re asking all hosts to read through an overview of the protocol and take a short quiz to show that they understand the guidelines.

Eligible hosts who choose to commit to the cleaning protocol will get a special highlight on their listing page, so guests will know they’ve agreed to follow an enhanced cleaning routine. That may be just what guests need to feel comfortable booking your space.

By adopting the protocol, you’re taking important steps toward helping to protect yourself, your guests, and the entire Airbnb community. To make things easier, we've summarized what you need to know right here in the Resource Center.
Learn more about eligibility for the listing highlight here:

airbnb.ie/resources/hosting-homes/a/answers-about-the-enhanced-cleaning-protocol-183

Hosts who adopt the new cleaning protocol will need to agree to a minimum 24-hour buffer after a guest checks out before entering the listing. If a listing is eligible, but the host is unable to commit to the cleaning protocol.

After a host commits to the cleaning protocol, eligible listings will get a highlight to let guests know that they’ve agreed to follow a higher standard for cleaning. Bear in mind that it can take up to a week for the highlight to appear.

Currently, the option to commit to the cleaning protocol is limited to some entire place (not shared or private room) listings in the United States. More hosts will have this option available over time.

If you’ve been notified that your listing is eligible, and you want to commit to the cleaning protocol:

- Go to your Listings
- Select an eligible listing
- Select "Cleaning"
- Select "Get started"

In the event that you think of other questions in the future and may need immediate assistance, You may still respond to my message for the next 24 hours before our thread closes You can reach out to us anytime at airbnb.com/contact. We're always happy to help.

Thanks,
Hanna