COVID Health Policy

Louise898
Level 1
Nannup, Australia

COVID Health Policy

Dear Airbnb,

Please review your most recent COVID Health policy, it does not reflect the current status in our State at all.

In Western Australia we have not had a community transmission of COVID for 6 months, and we have border closures in place. Obviously, should community transmission occur we would increase our health protocols, in line with State requirements.

Greeting guests wearing a mask would be alarminst for them. Sometimes it is necessary to re-enter a room that has been sanitized prior to guests arriving.

You have made the policy document so that we have to sign it, trying to communicate with current guests is difficult with the pop-up screen constantly there waiting for a signature.

A global policy is obviously not working for hosts, based on the feedback on this site.

If this policy is not reviewed before November 20 then we will be looking at alternative platforms for hosting.

Please listen to the concerns of hosts.

59 Replies 59
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Emma2259 

BG & Piers Morgan have much to answer for, the later's associates were due back in UK Courts of Laws for Phone/ Computer hacking related matters in 2020.

Then conveniently along came " Covid"...

It's interesting when one goes back on Timelines related to the internet & electronic devices and there chains that are tied together.

All roads lead back to Laws in place at the time amongst other things.

One's basic Human Rights have been run roughshod over.

It's now $3.50 New Zealand to post a standard hand written letter in an envelope with stamp on internationally , and at the moment that form of communication, which many still do and treasure, delivery time is unknown as Air Cargo is full to over flowing.

Re the word " May" that's a standard legal word, they are unable to ever say, "We will" just like our Gvmnts & Director Generals of Health had no lawful rights to say " You must stay at home".

The phrase they should have used clearly , "We recommend you stay at home if you are unwell, or go to a Doctor for a check up if you have any symptoms" or similar as what we have been told with, "You must stay at home" without explaining why, or what sections of Law is misleading and comes across dictatorial.

Alas,  how many people bother to go to a Doctor for a runny nose, fever or cough unless it's persistent??

Common sense says to eat well, keep warm & get in the fresh clean air.

@Emma2259 Emma

You are brilliant. https://secure.wealthdaily.com/213998?device=c&keyword=airbnb%20stock&gclid=Cj0KCQjw28T8BRDbARIsAEOM...  and you can get a free copy of the report.

Taking a guest's temperature might get a negative reaction! 

We now have reusable face masks hanging on the back of the front door just in case guests arrive with face masks. However, I'm not changing gloves between cleaning and sanitising.

@Marg11 the link looks v interesting! Thankyou! some research at hand... maybe this is a blessing in disguise...

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Emma2259 @Louise898 I'm really not sure what to do here. I am happy to follow the cleaning protocol, which is not that different from what I do anyway. @Emma2259, I don't use chemical cleaning products either, but alcohol-based cleaners are effective against COVID-19 and relatively non-toxic. However, given the almost zero numbers of COVID in WA, I'm not prepared to wear a mask in my own home, nor would I expect my guests to - it would just feel ridiculous. If we had an outbreak here in WA, I would just close my calendar again (and not place myself at risk at all). We could agree, then not do it, but that also feels wrong. I have a couple of bookings coming up - pretty much my first since March as I've had my calendar blocked. if I don't agree, are these bookings going to be cancelled? What have you decided to do? I feel so conflicted!

Emma2259
Level 5
Denmark, Australia

Hi @Kath9 , I agree with everything you’ve said, and completely relate! I’ve heard different things about  the cleaning protocols so need to check it again. I was worried about washing walls and ceilings, and cushions, rugs etc being cleaned after each stay.. I haven’t really decided yet, although I’m not prepared to wear a mask either because there is no risk. As far as I understand it, Airbnb will (apparently) cancel bookings and refund guests if hosts do not comply. . I’m prepared to move to a different platform (trip adviser is similar and take only  3% commission). I am also collating my guest info so I can contact them if I go get blocked so that I can still offer them the bookings that Airbnb May cancel. At the moment I’m just going to leave things and see what happens 20 November but prepared (Sadly) not to continue with Airbnb. I hope this helps ! 

Emma2259
Level 5
Denmark, Australia

@Kath9  I looked at the cleaning protocol and it seems ok (no wall cleaning etc 😅) just need to get around this mask thing ! I did think I can not greet my guests for while, until this thing settles !  

@Emma2259, the cleaning protocol looks fine, really. I have no issue with that. It's probably what we all should be doing anyway. It's the masks that are getting me because I host in my home, meaning I would have to wear a mask a lot! I have had a profile on TripAdvisor (Flipkey) for about three years and have had only one (dodgy) request, which I declined. 1 request in 3 years! So it hasn't worked out for me. You may have better luck with Bookings.com.

Sigh, maybe I'll just wear a mask, but I don't even know where to get a resuable one (absolutely refuse to use disposable masks or gloves).

Sam669
Level 2
West Perth, Australia

Just checking in as another WA host that thinks Airbnb applying the mask mandate here in ridiculous. I won't be wearing a mask in my own home when there is simply no need in WA. I reached out to Support and of course was told their policy stands. I guess this will be the end of my time hosting.

@Sam669 Sorry to hear that, hang in there, they might come to their senses!!! 

Emma2259
Level 5
Denmark, Australia

This is the latest mail from Airbnb re mask wearing.. seems like good news to me... 

‘Itś fine Emma, if your government are no longer required wearing mask in Western Australia you can do that but just make sure as a host you are still responsible to make your place clean and properly sanitized.‘

Thanks,
Hanna

@Emma2259 That is encouraging! But they are not giving this message to everyone. See @Sam669 "told their policy stands". It is so confusing ...

@Louise898 @Belinda55 @Emma2259 @Sam669 @Kath9 

Well, we wondered how we would be forced to comply and now we know. Needed information regarding companions names plus bread & milk preferences from a guest arriving tomorrow. Had to agree to cleaning protocol, distancing and wearing face masks just to send a message. May also need to send keylock code tomorrow evening if they don't arrive before we retire.

It will be interesting to see if gloves give me dermatitis as they did 50 years ago as a student nurse. Will be trialling a variety to see what is suitable for me.

Disposable gloves, masks etc will choke our local landfill quarry. 

So despite all my protests of living in an area of the world with no community transmission, just positive cases in quarantine due to returning Aussies, as Silver Gypsies, we will be wearing our polka dot masks and offering disposable masks to guests. Have already warned guests arriving in a fortnight.  

Will be interesting to see if guests will wear masks and what we are compelled to do if they don't.

@Marg11 Thanks for the update. I wonder if guests have been sent the same email regarding wearing masks. I was talking to my hairdresser yesterday who's just booked a house through airbnb and she hasn't heard anything about it. But supposedly guests are required to wear masks too. I'm just wondering if this will all come out in the review questions.

Marg11
Level 10
Warwick, Australia

@ et al

Had previously sent Airbnb our local and state rules regarding cleaning and masks but no reply. 

@Emma2259 That's good to know. I might try and get this in writing too.