CRITICAL BUG with co-hosting (lack of) access--WHEN WILL THS BE FIXED???

CRITICAL BUG with co-hosting (lack of) access--WHEN WILL THS BE FIXED???

I'm both the primary host of a listing--supported by a co-host--and serve as co-host for a couple of listings.  

Since early December, my co-host and I have encountered a number of technical glitches specifically having to do with a cohost's access / security privileges, which are negatively impacting the guest experience.

In a nutshell, though I'm officially a co-host of a particular listing, I lost access to the message thread with a guest.  The thread disappeared entirely from my Airbnb Inbox, and if I try to access via the Calendar view the booking and then the message thread, I got a "You don't have access to this thread" error.  When the guest replies, I *may* re-gain access to the message thread, only to lose it again later after I send a reply.  Similarly, if the guest wishes to alter the booking, I can't review the request or approve it.  

I have received (some of the) notifications sent to my regular email--however clicking via the regular email while I'm on my laptop or iPhone gets me the same "access" error message/glitch.  In some cases, say when the (primary) host sends a message to the guest, I don't even get the email or mobile phone notifications anymore and had to ask my co-host/host if a message was sent.  Previously I would have received a mobile phone notification and an email.

The above "restricted access" issues have happened to me:

* Multiple times with the same guest/message thread

* More than one guest/message thread for the same listing

* More than one listing

* Regardless of whether I access Airbnb from my iPhone or laptop (via Google Chrome)

And it has only become more frequent in the last 3 weeks. 

The same is happening to my co-host when she's trying to help out on messages for guests booked at the listing where I'm the primary host.  Similar (lack of) access issues are occurring with respect to writing guest reviews.  As a co-host I was able to write guest reviews, but not since December.

All this despite our making NO changes to our listings, hosting/cohosting arrangements, etc.

I called Customer Service on at least two occasions before Christmas, and though they were able to replicate the issue, they refused to escalate and keep open a support ticket because apparently the Engineering is already aware of this and has been working on it. For the last 3+ weeks there have been no updates or resolutions, so we tried the following workarounds ourselves but none worked:

* Removing myself as a co-host and then adding me back on--or removing my co-host from the listing where I'm the primary host and adding her back on.  It worked only temporarily and we started to encounter the same issues again.

* Re-installing the app, clearing cache, logging out, etc.  Been there, done it.

Searching the Airbnb community for cohost (lack of) access issues has revealed I'm NOT the only host/co-host encountering this.  There were several similar posts from prior years but those seem to be unrelated.  I can't help but have the suspicion Engineering has implemented last month some non-essential oh-so-clever "coding enhancement" and in the mean time broke the rather MISSION CRITICAL security model governing host/cohost system privileges.

How are we able to stay on top of guest communications, enquiries, etc. when our system access is being hindered by these technical glitches--and seemingly little Engineering attention is assigned to resolve this ASAP???   There is SIGNIFICANT IMPACT to the guest not to mention the hosting experience...but let's not kid ourselves which one Airbnb priorities. 

70 Replies 70
James179
Level 2
Brighton, United Kingdom

Having exactly the same problem down here in Brighton with our 3 listings of which my partner is the co-host. His side of the Airbnb app stopped working before Christmas so I set up a TEAM with his other email address (you can't use the same one....) and it just got confusing with messages to me from guests having his name in the TO field along with every message being duplicated. So kicked him out of the team (in a nice, jokey way obvs..) then tried re-installing his app, then removed him as co-host and after a day re-inviited him to be a co-host (after 4 years, it was all a bit weird). Still not working. It's crazy. 

Hi James,

I haven't tried messing around with Teams yet.  The simple co-hosting arrangement we have has worked quite well the last 3+ years...but almost overnight it broke last month.

Just now, upon my request (since it's the only way to reach a guest despite the fact I'm the "official" cohost), the primary host messaged the guest--I didn't get a mobile phone notification nor an email notification.  The Airbnb message thread is still not in my Airbnb Inbox.  I had all those before.

If the guest replies, the message thread *may* re-appear in my Inbox.  If the guest doesn't, I'm locked out. 

I'm literally a co-host flying blind.

Ac3
Level 3
Oslo, NO

Same problem here in Oslo, Norway! And the mobile app is not working for me at all!

The customer service people (when I call in to Airbnb) seems more inclined to say the "correct phrases" and follow their provided script then to actual help with problem solving and often just pushes the problem onward to someone else in the system, in this case the technical department, and then they close the case and I don't hear anything else even though the problem persists with multiple other guest bookings and conversations. 

Arnold11
Level 6
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Hello, 

I am having exactly the same issue. I am a co-host for many properties in Edinburgh and I am not receiving and cannot see some messages for days already! I have been on a phone with Airbnb many times everyday, but no one can tell me when it will get fixed. It has happened before already and it took days to fix it as well the last time. I am unable to ask the primary hosts to reply to every message or tell me when a new message has been received, as they are busy with their own lives, and I am the one who has been responding to all messages, as I am being paid to do so! The co-hosts are there for a reason to answer all enquiries, but we have been denied access. This is completely unacceptable as it affects many people businesses not just mine and the guests experience! 

I and hello I see you say you have no recantation am a CEO just like you i do it myself so I that maybe I contacts with you it by be batter 

Tony-And-Una0
Level 10
Belfast, United Kingdom

Hello

The problem appears to be getting worse. It started with just not being able to send messages. Not I am not receiving booking notifications and cannot see the next day bookings etc listed.

Tony-And-Una0
Level 10
Belfast, United Kingdom

Now I am not receiving them - typo

Emma725
Level 2
West Auckland, United Kingdom

Same problem for over a month sent numerous messages to support spent 30 mins on phone to them on Monday they promised to sort out and call back -still waiting for that call If they know there is a bug why put us through having to make lengthy explanations of problem, then behave as if no one else is having this issue and then do nothing no action not even an apology can you imagine the repercussions if we treated guests this way.

David1624
Level 2
New York, NY

We just had a similar problem with a co-host.  Luckily (or unluckily) the last two bookings flaked out.  It's that slow flakey time of year again.

Keith-and-Randy0
Level 2
Palm Springs, CA

Same problem here.

Lisa32
Level 2
Trevallyn, AU

I read a similar thread here the other day and posted a brief note about also being a co-host and having random access errors...the latest one being that I couldn't review our most recent guests. Airbnb will have to resolve but it would be good if there was just one forum thread for us to write in and read other's suggestions. In the meantime let's hope our hosts don't forget why they opted to use a co-host in the first place if they end up having to reply to so many enquiries etc!

Emily487
Level 10
KCMO, MO

Same problem here. It's been going on for about a month. I've called CS a few times and actually got someone who would log in as me and he saw the problem and started a ticket to send it to tech services". I also submitted a "reporting a bug" report for each booking that I had trouble with. 

The only thing that worked for me so far:

I logged in as my host, messaged the current guest, then logged back in as myself (co-host) and the messages magically reappeared in my co-host account and I was able to send and receive messages to the current guest. 

I suppose that's the ultimate workaround Emily, but if we start logging in as the primary host (sharing logins and passwords), etc. it compromises security and begs the question...doesn't that basically destroy the premise of "co hosting"?

@Jo-and-Ivan0 

I agree, it's not an ideal work around and I'm just glad that it works for me. The trick is, of course, I  must rely on my host to tell me when I have a message that has gone unanswered.  I just spoke with CS and she was very nice (or course) and said to continue to submit "bug reports" and call in the CS every time there are messaging problems. No solution was discussed (of course).