Cairns hosts be aware of guest named Amanda!

Jessie110
Level 2
Sydney, Australia

Cairns hosts be aware of guest named Amanda!

Hi fellow Cairns hosts,

Hope everyone is surviving well at the crazy cyclone up there!

I have never posted anything on the community centre before; however a rent hosting experience has urged me to write a blog to inform all Cairns hosts about this trouble guest.

A guest name in the name of Amanda and her group, who had a few positive reviews this year, were the worst group of guests I had out of the over 500 guests whom l have hosted. According to her profile, she came over from Townsville to visit her daughter. 

At checkout they took away a fitted sheet, a flat sheet, 4 bath towels, 2 beach towels, hand towels,  2 umbrellas, mugs and plates! Not only that, they re-arranged the furniture and wall art, yet did not return them to the original location. The place was left filthy, smoked inside, dishes not done and coffee stain on quilt cover. I had to re order all missing items and was incurred extra labour cleaning fees as a result!

Airbnb advised me to lodge a claim via resolution centre which l did. The guest did not reimburse me; however Airbnb did promptly after the 72 hours laspe time was passed.

I am writing this blog because l do not wish to see any of the hosts having to go through the same trouble as l did.

Good luck with all hosting and hope to hear some of your stories so we can all be aware as well!

5 Replies 5
Pip6
Level 2
Trinity Beach, AU

Hi Jessie

I'm really sorry to hear of your experience with this guest and thanks for letting us Cairns Hosts know about her.

Much appreciated.

Cheers

Pip - Palm Cove

Thanks Pip 😉

I saw your other threads as well about declining in booking stat. As far as l know and l believe that's quite true as well is we are definitely getting more long term rent properties going on short term on top of the already declining tourism intake.

My 2 bedder unit in Edge Hill has been on airbnb since Oct last year. There were only a couple of others similar in the area at the time but it is now 4-5 doubling the amount of competition. I think people are starting to realise short term rent attracts slightly better return than long term. I won't be surprise we will see a lot more coming onto the market. Will be interesting to see how the market goes next year! 

Maree23
Level 3
Yungaburra, Australia

Oh that's awful.  😞 Thanks for the warning.

Helen56
Level 10
San Diego, CA

Please tell us her full name and home town. Thank you.

Freddy20
Level 2
Cairns, Australia

Thank You for the post Jessie.

I know it is last year post, but it is always rellevant.