Calculate number of rooms based on number of guests

Calculate number of rooms based on number of guests

A recurring inconvenience is that guests asks for some nights and AirBNB sets the price only by taking into account the number of nights. In my case, the limit of persons that can have a room assigned is 2. Is there a setting that I can configure to have AirBNB compute the number of rooms times the number of nights times the price/room/night? If someone specifies more than 2 people, then it makes sense to have the number of rooms computed properly.

So far, I have added a note to the Rules section about this, but there are still hosts who solicit a package and disregard it.

5 Replies 5
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Hi, @Calin3. You have "Each room can accommodate 2 guests. Please keep it into account when making reservations". 

But that is not the way Airbnb works. So the poor guests don't know what to do. 

They see that it is $33 per night, and that they get 8 bedrooms and can have up to 10 people in their party. "Extra people: No Charge," it says, right on your listing. Deal of the century. 

You, as host, have two options. The easiest is just to add an extra charge per guest after 2 guests. You do this through Manage Listings -> Pricing -> Extra charges -> Extra guests. 

OR you can set up a separate listing for each room. 

These are the only ways you and your guests will be able to work this out. 

So if we charge $125.00 per night, what is a fair charge if they have 2 people (not married) but want both bedrooms?

@David1260 firs, you need to define "fair". Price will always be subjective. I suggest to check how much are other places that are comparable to your place charge to guests. What I can suggest if you have 2 different rooms then make 2 different listings. Based on your listing right now, the category is private room, but there are 2 rooms and it is $125/night for the both rooms. Is that what you want to charge for the both rooms together?

That's where it kind of gets complicated. If it was a husband and a wife and there were sleeping in the same room, it would be $125 but if a person wanted to rent one bedroom and meet a friend down here and want to use the other bedroom to me that's almost too different listings but I wouldn't want to charge double if that makes any sense. What I thought of is adding $40 extra if there were two different people using both bedrooms. What are your thoughts on something like that?

I have the same problem David! I am in Sydney Australia and I have three spare rooms. I charge $120 for the first two guests. $90 per person after that. BUT if two guests want two rooms, I have twice the work for no benefit. If I charge say $100 for the first person (rather than the first two) and $90 after that, I am penalising couples who travel together and only use one room.

I don't want to list all three rooms separately because that's a nightmare - I only want one booking at a time. As separate listings, I won't attract the larger groups, families and couples travelling together. 

One solution to this would be that when booking, people have to indicate the number of guests AND the number of rooms required and the cost is calculated accordingly. At present Airbnb doesn't have this functionality but I wish it did.