Calendar for Saturday to Saturday stays - Confusing to potential guests - Sunday to Friday blocked

Thomas977
Level 10
Tønsberg, Norway

Calendar for Saturday to Saturday stays - Confusing to potential guests - Sunday to Friday blocked

In the summer season, I have check-in and check-out only on Saturdays (rule in professional version of the calendar saying that check-in and check-out on sunday, monday, tuesday, wednesday, thursday and friday is not allowed). This means that Sunday to Friday is marked as booked (gray with lines on) in the calendar, even though these days are not booked. These days are only opened when the guest selects Saturdays for check-in and check-out. This causes many guests to misunderstand as they think the days in the calendar are booked, even if they are available. This is therefore very negative because Airbnb and I loose potential bookings. Airbnb should change the view from Sunday to Friday from "gray with lines on" (booked) to for example "GREEN with lines on". This is important for potential guests to understand that the days are available, even though check-in and check-out is not possible on these days.

Airbnb responded that this is not a mistake on their part and they do not want to change this..

Does anyone else have the same problem? Any suggestions on solutions?

https://www.airbnb.no/rooms/23200701

20181209_Airbnb_3.jpg

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Calendar-for-Sat-to-Sat-stays/td-p/657329?_ga=2.95888796...

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Availability-on-Calendar-Sat-Sat-only-showing-Saturday-avai...

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Host-Q-A/Weekly-rentals-on-calendar/idi-p/794399?_ga=2.167644478...

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Why-does-the-calendar-looked-blocked-off-when-i-set-up-a...

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/2-Night-Fri-Sat-Minimum-but-when-I-quot-Check-Availability-...

20 Replies 20
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Thomas977 I have exactly the same issue with my secondary listing, because I only rent Saturday to Saturday in July and August. I also talked to Airbnb and got the same response. I find it unbelievably stupid and misleading, and I don't get many rentals through Airbnb at that property. I'm fully booked, but not through Airbnb. I'm sure it's a penalty, of sorts, for not allowing guests to check in any day they like.

The alternative would be to turn off instant book and explain in the listing that you only accept Saturday through Saturday bookings, but then you may have to turn down an excessive number of booking requests, which could also lead to issues. I feel like you just can't win in this situation.

Yes @Alexandra316, this is very misleading! I have done a small test on potential guests, and nobody understands that these weeks are actually available and can be ordered. In my calendar (attached photo) the week from Saturday 25 May to Saturday 1 June is actually booked. However, this is impossible for potential guests to see as this booked week appears in exactly the same way as the available weeks ...! It's really misleading to potential guests! It's very sad that Airbnb does not understand this...

@Thomas977 When I posed about it and asked questions, they told me that it was fine, because if people searched using their specific dates, the place would show up. That's only kind of true: if they are searching exactly Saturday to Saturday, they're right, but otherwise, it would not. If people are booking a whole week, their dates are generally flexible. It's very silly.

Yes agreed, @Alexandra316, Airbnb gave me the same silly answer:

"Just keep in mind if a guest searches with dates this situation would not apply. It's not a perfect system but from a guest perspective this keeps them from getting frustrated if they see your listing and it's not available for the specific dates. ... Grey does not mean booked, just unavailable, as per your rules. ... I am very sorry but this is not a setting you can edit and is very purposeful. ... Airbnb sees it differently here but is prepared to forgo bookings if guests do not understand the calendar as it is now. At this time, there is not a significant level of guest misunderstanding on this, so this issue is not up for revision at this time. ... Airbnb statistically tracks the number of help queries that come in over the weeks and months, this is not a top issue. As someone who works with guests about 40-0 hours a week, this matches my personal experience too."

I would think that it is also very frustrating for potential guests who wish to book, that the calendar incorrectly shows that the week is booked. The problem is that potential guests of course do not complain to anyone that the place is booked by someone else. It would be strange if guests asked for help regarding a problem they do not know exist. The problem is thus never revealed. Potential guests just think that the calendar is fully booked and accepts this on an incorrect basis and move on. It is therefore not surprising that the problem does not appear in Airbnb's service statistics for guests.

Airbnb and the host lose bookings and revenue, while the guest loses the opportunity for a nice vacation in their 1st choice of accommodation. Everybody loses! The current situation is very unnecessary and sad for all parties.

Only booked days should be gray; available days without check-in and check-out should be "green with lines". Should be a quick fix for Airbnb. 

Should`t Airbnb be user-friendly also for new potential guests on the platform?

Hi @Alexandra316  and @Thomas977 ,

I know this conversation had place a long time ago, but maybe is still relavant for you, because I have the same your issue. 

I'm new in Airbnb and set the calendar to make saturday-saturday renting. 

My questions are:

-did you find any solution?

-how did you manageto talk/write to arbnb as you said?

Thank you

I'm only in this a few months, myself and I'm in the same boat with no new information.  However, my problem is in cross-listing.  For example, I have a week open in June 2020 that I cannot list on another site as Saturday to Saturday because Airbnb has that Saturday listed as booked.  However, it's a split day!  One leaves and its cleaned then new renter arrives.  How can I get Airbnb calendar to NOT show as booked on the Saturday my people would leave.  This may make me leave Airbnb and stick with VRBO if I cannot rectify this.

Hi @Dionne28,

I recommend using the channel manager Booking Automation. You will then have greater flexibility in settings.

Regards,

Thomas

Ashten0
Level 2
Hermann, MO

I totally agree with this post and have also called Airbnb regarding how confusing AND  misleading this is to our potential guests!  I also hope that Airbnb can make a change to their calendar to remove any doubt a guest may have.

Yes @Ashten0, I really hope Airbnb will understand how negative this is for all parties and that they will make a change of the calendar view ...

@Alexandra316

James415
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I have raised this problem previously with Airbnb and got nowhere. To re-iterate, when a renter looks at a listing only the available check in dates will show as available & the intervening days are greyed out. This OF COURSE gives the incorrect impression that the greyed out days are unavailable and surprise,surprise the potential renter does not book. It is a looney policy which, I feel sure ,loses bookings for me and for Airbnb. There is no logic to it that I can see. As a result I have had to turn off "Instant book" to ensure that available days show as available.

Airbnb can you please change this ridiculous policy.

James

Thank you for sharing your experience with the issue @James415. The negative consequences are deifinitively very real!

I hope Airbnb employees read this and take the problems with the calendar seriously...

@Alexandra316

@Ashten0

Andy446
Level 1
Llansadwrn, United Kingdom

We have had people give us exactly this feedback: it looks like we are fully booked because we only allow check in on a Friday. James - you mentioned that you turned off instant books to get available days to show as available. Do you just manage this by turning down bookings that don't start on your specified day?

Thanks for your help,

Andy

Andy446
Level 1
Llansadwrn, United Kingdom

We have had people give us exactly this feedback: it looks like we are fully booked because we only allow check in on a Friday. @James415 - you mentioned that you turned off instant books to get available days to show as available. Do you just manage this by turning down booking requests that don't start on your specified day?

Thanks for your help,

Andy

James415
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hello Andy, yes that is how I do it. I've checked with other online booking engines and it seems it is a simple tweak to change this. It is bizarre that Air BnB will not change this. Time to list with other booking agencies like Hotels,com