Calendar unblocking days on it's own accord...???

James208
Level 2
Andalusia, ES

Calendar unblocking days on it's own accord...???

Hello Airbnb Community,

Thanks in for your expertise!

I believe there might be a bug with the calendar. It has now happened on a number of occasions that dates which I have previously blocked, all of a sudden become available. I have had to cancel a booking for September next year which was an Instant Booking even though I am quite certain I had gone through and blocked EVERY day of next year.. As a consequence, these dates can no longer be made available in case I decide I can rent the apartment, and I have a "black mark" on my record.

Now just a couple of days ago, a similiar thing has happened and some random dates in January were made available and a guest has booked using Instant Book. I don't want to cancel this one and risk any restrictions to my account. To top it all off, when checking that there were no more dates available in January, I found that a random 10 day window was unblocked. I then went ahead and blocked these dates, saved the changes and then returned to double check and found that another random 7 day window was unblocked!!

I am quite sure that I am not going crazy, has anyone else experienced similiar problems?

Thanks for your time.

10 Replies 10
Bob43
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Personally I have not experienced this, but there are many other threads about this issue available in the community center.

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Yes...happens to us regularly, single days usually, but a week from time to time - so annoying that this bug still exists. We don't use IB and alwasy manually check dates to make sure that they are in fact ones on which we would like to have someone stay.

I have had it happen to me as well but not for a while.  I think it might have something to do with external calendars syncing.  @Gerry-And-Rashid0 do you import any calendars? 

@James208 a great suggestion on previous threads discussing this issue was to set custom pricing for rediculous amounts that no one would book it even if it frees up (like $1000+ a night) seems like a good safety net. 

This is one of the reasons I don't have Instand Book set and always confirm my master calendar availabiliy. 

Andrew - see community help guides for many great FAQ

@Gerry-And-Rashid0 Do I have any course of action with Airbnb to have these dates made available again?

Ali40
Level 10
Crozet, VA

This has happened on my calendar several times too! I don't use IB or import another calendar and have just been verifying my calendar every few days to make sure dates aren't mysteriously available 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@James208  I think the host forum has given you some great feedback, but now you have to sort it out with Air BNB.  Contact information is available on this site under community guide.  I would start with Twitter to alert about the glitch.  Also, since you have already used one of your Instant Booking "free cancellations", you might want to check to see if you can get that cancellation off your account since you used it due to an Air BNB glitch.

John583
Level 1
Oswego, NY

My blocked dates also become ublocked.  I don't want to have to cancel and get a blck mark either.  That is why I won't use instant booking.  I got burned once. 

Deirdre53
Level 1
Wellington, New Zealand

Hi 

I have had the same thing happen several times this year. Only today I picked up two different bookings that I had blocked out on the calendar months ago. I found them unblocked today. I rang Airbnb and they said I need to do a screen shot of every month booked so I can give this to them along with any future mysterious random unblocked dates and then they will send it off for investigation.

I have at least 6 houses and they are booked for the next 6 months so that means 36 screen shots and a lot more of my time trying to prove what I told them is correct.

By the way, the last time this happened  (and resulted in a double booking)  I rang Airbnb and told them what had happened. At the time they said this wasnt the first time and they cancelled with the guest and didnt penalise me or charge the guest any fees. Dont cancel yourself or you'll be penalised for something that wasnt your fault

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

@Deirdre17

This is happening to me quite often, therefore nothing for it, except to check my listing often.

I had to block dates again that had been previously blocked by me but somehow mysteriously unblocked by the wee machine in San Fransisco!

Dee160
Level 2
Chesterton, IN

This is happening to me too.! I  blocked out certain dates.  Then I unblocked  them only to find that everyday the calendar reverts to blocking them on it's own. There are black lines on my calendar too. What does that mean? Why can't I make these dates available? Help!