Calling BS on the "biased review" (revenge review) policy

Answered!

Calling BS on the "biased review" (revenge review) policy

We recently had a very stressful and upsetting experience with 2 guests who violated our House Rules and was only "resolved" when we called the police.  How Airbnb did NOT support us during and after the incident which led to a revenge review suggests that little has changed and it is all PR when the new policy on "biased reviews" was introduced last year post Orinda.

@Stephanie you should take note since any host who would take the time to read this would likely also come to the conclusion we as hosts are unfairly treated and punished twice by these guests who manipulate the review system.

We are experienced Superhosts and have a flat in a terrace house (where there are other flats).  We took a booking in Feb by "P" and "A".  During the booking process, we asked them to review and accept our House Rules, which we ask every guest.  In fact, P messaged us they accept our Rules AND highlighted one we specifically mentioned--"no external guests".

We received praise for our flat and travel tips until one evening during the middle of their stay when we were alerted P and A had arranged for two unauthorised visitors to enter our building and presumably our flat--the former was confirmed via outside security camera, the existence of which is noted clearly on our listing, and which was only reviewed after we were contacted by building management regarding the violation. We immediately reached out to P with several Airbnb messages and tried to call P but we were ignored.

We went to our building to speak to them via the building intercom and calmly and politely reminded them of our clearly listed House Rules and request the visitors to leave. P came outside and began raising his voice, rudely and arrogantly saying that he could have anyone inside he wanted to, because “we paid for it”.  He was very aggressive--we calmly asked him to lower his voice so as to NOT disturb our neighbours--and began to physically and verbally threaten us, asserting he would make us pay in our review.  The 4 of them left the house shortly.    ***Much of this was captured on video.***

Later the same night we were alerted that P again had unauthorised visitors inside our home, which was confirmed on the external building security camera. From that point P refused to communicate in any way. We contacted Airbnb CS, advised them of the situation and requested they get in touch with P.  We had to go through one escalation, retell our story even after we asked them to read the message thread and send them frame shots (rather than the entire video), were told they need time to review it.  The CS Manager ended up taking off for the night--as we discovered when we called CS 90 minutes later to check if any action was taken.  So we had to begin a second round of escalation, put on hold, send videos, told they needed to review it, etc.

The next morning we began a third round of calls with CS which prompted CS to finally take action--P continued to ignore all messages, phone calls, etc.  At this point Airbnb CS cancelled his booking for repeatedly violating House Rules in having unauthorised guests and for subsequently ignoring all attempts at communication.  P did finally write us back once, stating that he refused to leave our home unless Airbnb found him alternative accomodation. Despite being given multiple extensions and a final departure deadline of 1.30pm, P and A had still not left the property by 3pm, and refused to answer any messages, phone calls, or even answer our home intercom as I personally stood at the front door, afraid for my personal safety to go inside my own home. We were forced to call the police to assist in ensuring P and A left our home, which they finally did only after police arrived at 3:30pm.

But the nightmare was not over for us.  P carried out his threat a few days later and submitted a revenge review (1-star).  His review included a number of factual errors--he claimed we never contacted him before he heard from us on the intercom (we have an Airbnb message trail to disprove that), that we were angry and aggressive towards him (we have on video we asked him to lower his voice and he was the aggressor) and his two guests were a niece and her friend (we have no definitive proof, but our video showed they didn't know each other until that night and F and A used fake names to introduce themselves to the ladies at the building front door.  Neither women mentioned once they are relatives during F's angry rants).

It's also somewhat irrelevant what their relations or nature of the interactions were--he basically admitted he had unauthorised guests. P also wrote it was his human rights to have conversations with the women.  He also claimed Airbnb CS sent him a message to APOLOGISE for the unpleasant experience for HIM (apparently CS did in fact do this BLINDLY ignoring the messages, etc...as we later found out!!!).

We immediately called Airbnb after P's review was posted and went over our case, again with Airbnb message trail and video evidence.  Despite clear evidence of falsehood in P's review, our video, Airbnb CS cancelling their booking (so someone at CS was convinced there was enough grounds to do this), Airbnb after their review denied our request to have the revenge review and the 1-star rating removed.

This leads to the following observations...

The "biased review" policy is just PR.  Our case is as clear cut as it gets--when the guests actually said they were going to write a revenge review!  What further proof do we need?  Airbnb has sided with unscrupulous guests whom they kicked out by cancelling the booking.   Oh wait, we got the police to move them while Airbnb did nothing.

It doesn't matter whether it's 2 unauthorised guest, 20 or 200...it's the principle.  You would think after Orinda, Airbnb would actually take these violations seriously instead of allowing us hosts to be punished TWICE.  What further proof do we need? 

If unscrupulous guests can violate Rules and explicitly threaten hosts with no consequences whilst we get punished losing our Superhost status, one asks what foundational trust is left?

Thank you for reading this.

1 Best Answer
Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Jo-and-Ivan0 

The fact that your two authorised guests acknowledged your "no external guests" rule indicates that they just blatantly ignored your House Rules and probably intended to bring back two girls all along. Knowing this, they should have informed you. It is not for you as a Host to normalise their behaviour by amending their booking.

I can see @Ocean50 and @Sarah977 's points about not intervening until a later point - and I have done that on certain occasions which worked out well, but in your case on confronting your guests and their response, they should have backed down, made amends, behaved, and been as sweet as pie afterwards. They should be responsible for amending their own booking - and you (perhaps) graciously accepting. But it not being guaranteed.

That 'confronting' guests aspect usually only results in a negative review. That shouldn't be the case and Airbnb should have supported your every action. Airbnb cannot stand by in allowing guests to disregard House Rules and even their own T&C's. Your house, your rules.

In cases like this where guests break any House Rules and it can be proven by the Host as you so clearly can, the guests' review should be voided completely as they clearly do not understand an acceptable way to behave.

So here... on the "Hosting" discussion room, accessed by Guests and Hosts alike, Guests get an insight to how badly they can behave at Airbnb's condolence, to no recompense, and obtain training in that 'Airbnb way' which penalises Hosts.

@Jo-and-Ivan0 I think your case treatment has been despicable. Thanks for bringing it to Hosts' attention. In the future, Guests may find they need to jump through further hoops before being allowed access to Airbnb listings because of this spiralling distinct lack of trust in the booking platform. That easy going Host of the past has wisened up and has learned the only option will be to evict guests and suffer the consequences later. Lets face it, the consequences happen anyway so there's no point in pretending we will live in hope that it won't.

View Best Answer in original post

75 Replies 75

@Sean433 

What the guest does behind our backs at some point becomes their responsibility and their negligence

Not when they break the House Rules which is the basis of them being granted access to stay in the first place and which the guest needs to agree to - and in fact he had done. Then, deception enters the equation and all trust is lost and the contract is broken.

You have a house Rule of 'No Pets' I'm sure you wouldn't be too happy if a guest booked then brought in another relative who brought a pair of dogs, would you? Is it all OK just to disregard your 'No Pets' rule and you'll just 'suck it up'? I'm guessing not.

Why would your dog rule be any different than @Jo-and-Ivan0s Guest Rule?

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0

My point about negligence is that the host was wrong in saying they have a duty of care so high that they are responsible if there is a fire and the guest lied about the guest count. As I said, the host confirmed with the guest the guest count. The guest lied again about it. So why would the host be held criminally accountable if there was a fire? All the documentation is there to prove evidence the host did his due diligence. I think you guys are thinking about this from an emotional standpoint. I am speaking about the legal implications which the host mentioned concern over when he said he has a duty of care.

The host is using "duty of care" as a sort of excuse and rationale in his head to justify that all this drama was worth it. It is a justification method because I think part of him realized that it went too far especially after reading many hosts comments here.

If a guest brings a dog, I would be upset but I would not call the police over it. I don't know. To each host, their own but I just think you need to pick your battles. That is all.

@Sean433 

"Duty of Care" was a consequence of "Breaking House Rules". If their guest didn't break the rules there would be no need for any consequences or any justification.

@Jo-and-Ivan0 

Hello 'all this drama ' is implying that the host created the drama. There was a point where because of the neighbours complaints something had to be done. If I follow this clearly .I have often had cause to ask the neighbours after a certain time to 'keep it down'. Then we all go back to bed but that did not happen and the guests became very aggressive. From theron it was a bunfight. Not of the hosts making . If this has happened to you ever then you understand it.

Jo56
Level 10
Darlinghurst, Australia

@Sean433 Please see my message below detailing the situation. You cannot always believe what a guest chooses to write in a review in order to mask their bad behaviour.

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

Frankly and i am only answering for myself if someone books my three bedroom house for one I will lock two bedroom doors and not dress the beds. One person can only need one bed.

Jo56
Level 10
Darlinghurst, Australia

@Ute42  and others

Simply, we have a right to know who will be inside our homes. We are NOT a hotel, so do not think solely in terms of "number of guests paid for". Our concern, as it always has been, is to carefully maintain the security of our fellow neighbours in the building, maintain the security of our HOME, and maintain our quiet local neighbourhood. We have a right to ask for, and expect that only those people we have been advised will be staying in our HOME will be the only people entering our home and can be entrusted to maintain the security of our HOME and personal furnishings and belongings by simply following clear agreement of the terms of a stay. I highlight that on Airbnb, as hosts, we do not have access to guest ID, and can only assume that Airbnb holds accurate identification for at least one guest if things "go wrong". 

Unauthorised visitors being invited into our home off the street, causing a loud disturbance to our fellow neighbours was the initial issue. The disturbance was what caused us to attempt to contact the guest only to calmly and kindly remind them of the House Rules accepted and confirmed in their own words - that no visitors or unauthorised guests are allowed in our home, only booked guests - and ask them to have their visitors leave as they were causing a disturbance. We did this first by Airbnb message. They did not respond. We later tried calling the guest. They did not answer.

When a neighbour has contacted you as a host and home owner regarding noise disturbing their right to peace and quiet, we believe that you act. Our neighbours are what matters (we realise many, operating their properties as hotels, certainly don't care about the neighbours, we do). Only then, when other attempts to communicate had failed, did I contact the guest via our building intercom. When we did so, I waited at the building entry after calmly reminding the guest that visitors are not allowed, and very kindly asked that they have their visitors leave. It was at this stage the guest came out and was aggressive and abusive to me. As a lone woman standing in the dark of night it was, frankly, terrifying. The guest review of course minimises and excuses all behaviour to make it seem they were having a quiet, calm night. This is false.

Later the same night the guests again invited unknown 'visitors' into our home a second time.  The guest no longer communicated in any form. It was a stressful and sleepless night wondering if our home would be damaged.

The police were ONLY mentioned to the guests the following day, *after* Airbnb had cancelled their reservation for the previous day/ night's breach, and the guests' aggression and threats. By this stage we had already been coerced by Airbnb into allowing them an extended "check-out" of 1pm. At 3pm they had still not left our home and, more critically, refused to communicate with us, or even answer our building intercom (which I attempted in fearful desperation). We advised them by Airbnb msg that if they didn't depart we would be forced to ask police to assist in having them leave. This is many hours after they were to have left our home. I'm not sure you are understanding of the personal fear I felt in trying to access my own home, and the fear of what the guests may have done to our home after their threats.

The guest has, in his review, falsely attempted to indicate that this was a benign situation. It was not. The entire review is false, as is evidenced by our Airbnb messages and the external security camera footage, which we provided to Airbnb. But he can say what he wants, can't he? This is exactly what a "revenge review" is. 

We have been around the block quite a few times as hosts over the many, many years we have opened our home to guests on Airbnb, and have plenty of experience in 'letting things slide' when things are not a big deal. This was NOT one of those times, I can assure you. This quickly turned from an issue of unauthorised visitors in our home disturbing the neighbours to an issue of aggression and threats, then, ultimately, trespassing. *That* is the issue.  

Now to add insult to injury Airbnb refuses to remove his completely false and therefore defamatory review.

@Jo56 

I agree with you.

Only by asserting your House Rules are you asserting your rights. Those are clearly laid out for the guests to agree to. They are your rights and the guests' obligations.

Hosts go to great lengths to explain the circumstances by which a guest may book their home, guests failing to adhere to the Rules laid down should not be in your home and are actually in breach of contract. You are completely within your rights to take whatever action you deem necessary and your guests welfare in that situation is secondary to your rules.

Stuart26
Level 2
England, GB

@Jo-and-Ivan0 my sympathies. I had a "revenge review" from a guest who was then offensive on the phone after I took a small amount of money from his deposit, and then also left a low star review. I complained to Airbnb with the details, including pointing out inaccuracies in his profile, but with no positive result apart from collecting the small amount from the deposit. 

Sharon480
Level 5
New Jersey, United States

I had cases where guests clearly enjoyed the stay (I messaged them every day and each day they are all good), until at check out we found they used stones to carve our dining table (very deep, into the wood lines all over), and also left oven cooking on 400F which shot the cooking panel. When I asked for the damage deposit, the guest left 1 star review all the way across. When I contacted Airbnb, despite the fact that I’m a super host with multiple properties, the rep tells me what he left is a true representation and they can not remove—true representation of 1 Star for everything? Cleanness, communication, location, value, check in and accuracy all 1 Star which every day they claim they enjoyed the house? It’s clearly a revenge feedback aimed to hurt my overall score that I worked diligently for!!

That sounds so horrible. Some people are just mean

Peggy137
Level 10
Boulder, CO

Wow, what a nightmare! 
I also am pissed about revenge reviews. When it's obviously that, and anyway Airbnb keeps the review it is totally undermining. 
I had my superhost status tanked for a few months, I got it right back but it probably means I can't apply for a superhost grant. And seeing as my little studio has been supporting me... I'm screwed. 

Airbnb doesn't care. 
Did you write them? Maybe a letter writing campaign is due.

Sharon480
Level 5
New Jersey, United States

I also had 1 star revenge review after filing a damge claim. The guests were all happy when I checked on them everyday via texts (I sent these texts prove to Airbnb), but after check out we found severe damages that I can’t just forgo. I called Airbnb rep, and she promised Airbnb would take down a revenge review and told me to go ahead with the damage claim. And sure enough, later Rep couldn’t honor that promise, and I missed Superhost at 4.7 overall stair this time (a lot of cancellations lately didn’t help either!). 

Anna9170
Level 10
Lloret de Mar, Spain

@Jo-and-Ivan0   I honestly read everything, and I see that this is a porridge, when everything is mixed into one.
1) the Number of guests in the room, when the payment is the same, from 1-4 guests, the Guest could not attach importance to the need to inform you, I Agree with the @Ute42 
2) was there such a terrible noise? In this case, it doesn't matter if there were 2 people or 4, so the problem was just the noise?
3) as a host, I understand very well how important it is to know the number of people actually living, but the IMO should have told the guests that you need a passport photo (any identification document), this is important for the requirements of your region or insurance.
4) the Guests immediately felt like they were in a police station, only someone came in, OK, let it be "niece", maybe you should just write politely send information about the visitors.
5) I'm sorry, but many married men, when they are alone, invite "nieces", and all the neighbors call the police?

But of course I understand your emotional state, any problems with guests are very stressful..

@Anna9170 

Ivan did not clearly state the situation, leading to your interpretation, but for clarity, as I have posted previously:

Simply, we have a right to know who will be inside our homes. We are NOT a hotel, so do not think solely in terms of "number of guests paid for". Our concern, as it always has been, is to carefully maintain the security of our fellow neighbours in the building, maintain the security of our HOME, and maintain our quiet local neighbourhood. We have a right to ask for, and expect that only those people we have been advised will be staying in our HOME will be the only people entering our home and can be entrusted to maintain the security of our HOME and personal furnishings and belongings by simply following clear agreement of the terms of a stay. I highlight that on Airbnb, as hosts, we do not have access to guest ID, and can only assume that Airbnb holds accurate identification for at least one guest if things "go wrong". 

Unauthorised visitors being invited into our home off the street, causing a loud disturbance to our fellow neighbours was the initial issue. The disturbance was what caused us to attempt to contact the guest only to calmly and kindly remind them of the House Rules accepted and confirmed in their own words - that no visitors or unauthorised guests are allowed in our home, only booked guests - and ask them to have their visitors leave as they were causing a disturbance. We did this first by Airbnb message. They did not respond. We later tried calling the guest. They did not answer.

When a neighbour has contacted you as a host and home owner regarding noise disturbing their right to peace and quiet, we believe that you act. Our neighbours are what matters (we realise many, operating their properties as hotels, certainly don't care about the neighbours, we do). Only then, when other attempts to communicate had failed, did I contact the guest via our building intercom. When we did so, I waited at the building entry after calmly reminding the guest that visitors are not allowed, and very kindly asked that they have their visitors leave. It was at this stage the guest came out and was aggressive and abusive to me. As a lone 

woman standing in the dark of night it was, frankly, terrifying. The guest review of course minimises and excuses all behaviour to make it seem they were having a quiet, calm night. This is false.

Later the same night the guests again invited unknown 'visitors' into our home a second time.  The guest no longer communicated in any form. It was a stressful and sleepless night wondering if our home would be damaged.

The police were ONLY mentioned to the guests the following day, *after* Airbnb had cancelled their reservation for the previous day/ night's breach, and the guests' aggression and threats. By this stage we had already been coerced by Airbnb into allowing them an extended "check-out" of 1pm. At 3pm they had still not left our home and, more critically, refused to communicate with us, or even answer our building intercom (which I attempted in fearful desperation). We advised them by Airbnb msg that if they didn't depart we would be forced to ask police to assist in having them leave. This is many hours after they were to have left our home. I'm not sure you are understanding of the personal fear I felt in trying to access my own home, and the fear of what the guests may have done to our home after their threats.

The guest has, in his review, falsely attempted to indicate that this was a benign situation. It was not. The entire review is false, as is evidenced by our Airbnb messages and the external security camera footage, which we provided to Airbnb. But he can say what he wants, can't he? This is exactly what a "revenge review" is. 

We have been around the block quite a few times as hosts over the many, many years we have opened our home to guests on Airbnb, and have plenty of experience in 'letting things slide' when things are not a big deal. This was NOT one of those times, I can assure you. This quickly turned from an issue of unauthorised visitors in our home disturbing the neighbours to an issue of aggression and threats, then, ultimately, trespassing. *That* is the issue.  

Now to add insult to injury Airbnb refuses to remove his completely false and therefore defamatory review.