Calling all Superhosts

Claudia992
Level 1
Hillsboro, OR

Calling all Superhosts

I am working with a  2.5 month renter that I gave a huge price break to since they were relocating.  They were initially dishonest about the number of people, the reservation is for 2, they showed up with 6  (2 adults, 4 kids)  + 2 dogs.    The first night they broke a  brand new storm door,  the first 2 weeks they flooded the garage with a brand new washing machine and didn't clean it up.   I bought another brand new washing machine and had it delivered/installed in the house.   The wife said her husband would stack the dryer.   I found out  2 weeks later someone had used the washer inthe garage again and left it full of water.   AFTER they were told to no longer use it.      They had not stacked the dryer and said they would.    We agreed they would no longer use the garage- to avoid any further 'issues'.   

a month later,  I find out thy are STILL using the garage,  have not stacked the dryer,  have 2 additonal adults in the house  (total 8 people in 1100 sq. ft A frame cabin,  + 2 dogs).   Without my permission.  

This week it appears the renters have moved out (2 weeks early) and left 2 unauthorized people in my house and given them door codes to both the house and garage-  which they are not allowed in.   

The renter contiues to lie to me about the situation.   Should I call the Sherriff and have the unauthorized people removed?

I have 15 days till the end of the rental agreement and the renters as no longer staying there.   

2 Replies 2
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Claudia992 They are trespassers at the very least, call the police since you have no idea who these people are in your home. Also call AirBnB you want this documented. I just turned down a 45 day booking for this very reason. No control. Also change your code NOW!

AirBnB number:

United States and Canada

+1-415-800-5959
+1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

Airbnb may not help you after the reservation period is complete and you have people unrelated to Airbnb in your house, then you will have squatters who may have some legal rights in Oregon, as "tenants."  I agree with Letitia you need to take active eviction measures right now. Call the sheriff and change your door codes. Take note for future reference, when people start breaking rules they are not going to stop.

http://www.landlordstation.com/blog/what-are-squatters-rights-in-oregon/