Can Airbnb help with our city?

Margaret179
Level 2
Independence, MO

Can Airbnb help with our city?

Our city of Independence, MO has decided to make it nearly impossible to run a short-term rental. We have had a 3-bedroom guest house for three years and have two more houses ready to go, but now face big fines if we don't comply with new rules and new licenses. They are allowing people not affected by any short-term rentals to make comments in a public forum, and a lot of people are panicked and are trying to stop us altogether. I don't know where they get their information but they are causing a major problem for us saying that we are bringing strangers into residential areas and they don't feel safe. We need some help!

1 Reply 1
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I doubt Air BNB will assist directly.  There was a time when Air BNB supported the development of Home Sharing Clubs of hosts.  Now that is gone. There are Facebook groups for various cities, so perhaps there is one in your area.  Get information together about how short term rentals provide to a service to the city.

In my city, La Quinta, CA, the City would lose a great deal of occupancy tax to other cities during some very high impact events because there are not enough hotels.   The City is very responsive to resident complaints, but remains supportive of hosts.  Balance is important.